Stonehaven

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosenhoj

Reaction score
Gentlemen;
I have been searching for this tobacco for more than a year. I refuse to pay the price that e bay
sellers are trying to get. Where is it? It would seem that as much in demand it is, the producer
would keep it in the pipeline. What's up. does anyone know?

"There's a Story behind every Bowl"

The only other way to get some is to ask for a kindly soul to donate a bit to you.

...and no you can't have the half of a flake I have on display behind safety glass. :lol:

Is a good tobacco, but its legendary status comes only from its rarity.

Folks want what is denied them. That's all there is to it.

Storm_Crow":2nrufnjo said:
Is a good tobacco, but its legendary status comes only from its rarity.

Folks want what is denied them. That's all there is to it.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. It is indeed very good tobacco though. With all the other good, outstanding blends out there, I don't feel the pressure to seek this blend like some do. I seem to remember this blend quite readily available say 3-4 years back. The increasing rarity/hype began around, say, two years ago, no?

Iwan Ries. Call. Website says out of stock. $32 for 8oz bag

Limit one per customer so place an order under your name then have the wife or girlfriend or buddy place another order under his or her name :)

Yes to the above suggestion. IR is very good about keeping track of who ordered what and when (if?) it does come in, contacting you. I've known friends that had to wait almost two years for some particularly rare blend, but they eventually got it.

Natch

Stony comes up occasionally in the trading forum as well. I've snagged some this way.

You could also see if you could get on a waiting list. Some e-tailers do this.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Stonehaven seems to be one of those pipe tobaccos that have survived by being old, British and having great names. Only ever tried it once. The flakes felt like rubber and the only distinct flavor I could discern in it was saltiness. Yeah, there was a lot of taste to it, but not one I'd come back for more of.

YMMV

:face:

I have had it several times. It grows on you, it really does. That said though, I found it to not quite meet my expectations which were of course constructed on the reviews that elevate it to such a venerable status. Once I got over being underwhelmed by the first smoke, it did grow on me quite a bit after several consecutive tries. It's actually a very delicate smoke, with very soft slightly sweet earthy nuances. The treacle topping it a very nice touch. Every piper should try it at least once, it's very different from anything else out there. Also, at least in my opinion, it packs quite a nicotine punch, which of course pleases those in search of a visit from lady N.

I like it but not enough to pay more than $60 a pound... I have a few pounds stashed away but it's a blend that I rarely smoke. Been working on the same 4oz jar for months and months now... There's still 3.5oz in there I reckon lol

Verdict is still out on Stonehaven for me. I smoked the sample that was given to me, and I still didn't get much but a French roast type coffee flavor. I agree, there's a lot of flavor there, just not one I particularly want to hang out with again.

8)

Well gents;

I'm in the market for a few 32 oz bags if anyone wants to sell or trade.contact me.

"There's a story behind every bowl"

Someone is trying to MP me , but the message is not showing up.
I don't know what I can do on my end to help.

nosenhoj":3pj054hj said:

Make sure your inbox is not full. You also have to check your sent box and out box from time to time. Even if it says "You have no new messages", click on it and see if there really is a new one in there.

I once found a message on a forum reporting that a guy had contacted Esoterica and asked what the flavoring was and was told it is treacle (molasses). That's what I like about it. The taste.
Otherwise it's a good medium strength smoke for when I'm tired of the strongest blends I can find and that doesn't happen often.

nosenhoj":64y3urtm said:

I tried PM'ing you but it sat in my Outbox for hours. Is your inbox full?

I bought 8 oz. awhile ago....I liked it alot for the 1st couple of smokes, and then it just became kindof "meh" to me. I found that the 1st 1/2 bowl was usually good, then the flavor would kindof coat my tongue and I couldn't really taste it that much for the rest of the bowl.

There are plenty of other tobacs out there that I like much better to search like a maniac for the stuff.

Thanks Gentlemen;
Mission accomplished. I love this forum.Great group of brothers.

Boxerbuddy":a12bh6dq said:
I bought 8 oz. awhile ago....I liked it alot for the 1st couple of smokes, and then it just became kindof "meh" to me. I found that the 1st 1/2 bowl was usually good, then the flavor would kindof coat my tongue and I couldn't really taste it that much for the rest of the bowl.

There are plenty of other tobacs out there that I like much better to search like a maniac for the stuff.
Just spitballing here, but I can imagine that this happens to quite a few of us. As much as I would like to sit down wit an oom paul and smoke for 2 and a half hours, I dont think my palate could take it with a blend that i feel this way about. I have a couple of pipes with smallish bowls that I could pack a couple of different blends in and smoke them two or three in a row, getting about 30 to 45 mins out of each one. The issue would be not to kill my palate with something too strong before something lighter.