Storage Problems for a Briar returnee

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EC Outlaw

Reaction score
It's kind of hard trying to break in five new pipes at the same time and try out a bunch of different blends while limiting one's self to only two bowls a day. And I know that the blends will taste differently when the pipes are broken in.

Question for the Brothers: What about storage in the Ziploc press top plastic containers? I haven't been able to track down any 8 oz. canning jars yet.

Thanks for any input.

Leave the stuff sealed until you get the jars. Plastic bags will contain the moisture, but all the good stuff in the tobacco migrates right on through and out. That's why the triple-foil bags a few years ago that worked well but weren't popular -- it takes three different materials to contain it all.

Or, one tin.

Or, one jar with a good seal.

Slow and steady gets there. Haste makes waste.

:face:

On the other hand, if you are purchasing smaller increments of tobacco to sample, storing in a ziplock for a week or two will do no harm. I have a lot of smaller sample baggies laying on my smoking shelf right now, just an ounce or so of each, not really worth jaring that quantity for me.

Edit: I was trying to say that if the amount of tobacco is what you can consume in a week or two, then press tops shouldn't be an issue.

But I imagine there are as many opinions on short term storage as there are members of this forum, might be worth trying different methods & seeing which works most suitably for your needs.

Most grocery stores, Fred's, Target and Wally-World generally carry them. If you're going to stay with pipes, it's worth the small investment right up front, in my opinion. 8 & 16 ounce are the way to go, and try to not get the quilted jelly type jars, it makes it more difficult to see the contents clearly.

But in the short term for a small amount, Ziplocs work just fine.

Natch

Natch":tjk27uqv said:
Most grocery stores, Fred's, Target and Wally-World generally carry them. If you're going to stay with pipes, it's worth the small investment right up front, in my opinion. 8 & 16 ounce are the way to go, and try to not get the quilted jelly type jars, it makes it more difficult to see the contents clearly.

But in the short term for a small amount, Ziplocs work just fine.

Natch
Yea, what he said. Walmart sells six packs of 8 oz Mason Jars and they're perfect for an assortment of pinches.

Careful buying jars this time of the year at Wal-Mart. My store has only carried them during canning season. Others?

Doc Manhattan sent me over to Ace Hardware as they were nationally having sales on jars, and I missed out by half an hour--a case was about $5!!! Needless to say, there's plenty of places to get jars. Grocery stores and hardware stores seem to be the best places.

For now, I don't have the space to store a bunch of jars, so I'm just leaving my popped tins inside a ziploc bag (lid on), with only a few tins open at any given time. They seem to work okay that way.

The nearest Walmart only had quart jars; much to big for my needs and available space. I made a trip this morning to the nearest Meijer's store; they had 8 oz. jelly jars, so I bought a dozen.

Considering all the tins that I have already opened to sample, it took nine jars for that, plus I have more different blends on the way (but I can leave them in the tin), and some bulk Luxury Bullseye Flake (I figured I better save some jars for that!!).

It's tough getting nearly 100 grams of Mac Baren in an 8 oz. jar. Takes a lot of packing down! But I was able to accomplish it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As all have said: Mason jars are the only way to go. In a pinch, while traveling and opening a can or tin, I always have some quart size zip-loc freezer bags (the thick ones, with the double zipper). I will put the can or tin inside a quart bag, squeeze out as much air as possible, zip it up, and put that inside a second quart bag, squeeze out as much air as possible, and zip it up. If I am traveling and need a fair amount of bulk tobacco, I will dump the tobacco into a quart bag, roll it up to get the excess air out, zip it, put it inside a second quart bag and roll it to get the air out. The double zip-loc bag approach seems to work well for up to a month. Again, use the thicker, freezer bags with the double zipper. They seem to be more air-tight and less permeable.

alfredo_buscatti":twstzb6p said:
Careful buying jars this time of the year at Wal-Mart. My store has only carried them during canning season. Others?
Yeah, jars are seasonal at my Wal Mart,
but there is a small grocery that has em
all year or they'll order em for me.

G. L. Pease":7iy1c9v5 said:
Plastic bags are permeable to small molecules. If you can smell the contents through the bag, you're losing flavor and aroma! For short term, like keeping an ounce around for smoking, plastic bags are fine. For long term storage, fuggedaboutit.
http://glpease.com/FAQ.html

:face: