Storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings, what is the best option for storing tobacco in a hot and humid environment?
Going to be away for a while and wondering if stock should be sealed in zip lock bags or containers or maybe kept in the fridge?
Thanks in advance

The most common way for people to store tobacco is in mason jars. They have an airtight seal, are inexpensive, and look pretty nice. I have left tobacco for many months in mason jars in a room in the house that is not really climate controlled so it got hot and humid in the summer and cold and dry in the winter. When I came home it was all still just fine.

Ditto. Zip lock bags don’t work well long term. But you can store several baggies, depending on how much tobacco is in each one, in a large Mason jar.

You don't want your tobacco exposed to plastic that long anyway, especially if exposed to 80+°. Plastic leeching is real. I haven't experienced it with tobacco, because I learned my lesson with losing some heritage flour to a plastic container. Glass is the way to go. I see mylar bags and vacuuming sealing is all the rage with some people who cellar tobacco due to space, but that seems like an investment that isn't practical for most of us.

At one point I just went and bought bought wide mouth mason or Ball quart jars by the 12 pack flat. Compared to ANY other “system” they are cheap, they work very well and store neatly into almost any kind of available space…”cooler-dor”’ cupboard, closet or bunker.

6BDBAE8C-7668-427A-9E16-C042A1B52EA4.gif

Though in the tropics, storing jarred tobacco in an unplugged fridge might be a good idea. Maybe with some moisture absorbers in the fridge to retard mould.

I'm thinking the fridge will provide some insulation to keep your baccy cooler than just storing it jarred in a cupboard.

Pure specualation on my part.

Funny enough we usually do that with the fridge when travel for an extended period. Might try a couple of options. Cheers

Sounds like a good way to try and generate new forms of life.

8BA1CC2A-B944-4BF7-825E-078E99516691.gif

Attachments

• A78B7ABD-1DB9-4E1E-8974-D2FC2462EA3E.jpeg
    A78B7ABD-1DB9-4E1E-8974-D2FC2462EA3E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sounds like a good way to try and generate new forms of life.

View attachment 8757
Agree….an unplugged refrigerator is a breeding ground.
Spent most of my life in Central America, Africa and the Caribbean…don’t do it.
I kept my SWR in the can in the operating fridge.
Never had a problem with odors on the tobacco….my dos centavos.

Last edited:
I think keeping out of the sunlight is key for successful long term storage. Keep it in a cool, dark closet. Even indirect sunlight can cause the temperature to rise enough to affect the pressure of the seal. I'm not sure everyone would agree with me, but why take a chance?

Like many have already said, glass jars with a good seal (canning jars) are the way to go in any environment. In most cases, you can get 8 ounces of loose leaf tobacco in a quart jar, 4 ounces in a pint jar, and two ounces in a half-pint jar. You can get much more than that if it is flake or plug tobacco. If you can find them, the tall 24 ounce canning jars are great for long flake tobacco.
P4250001.jpg

I just came across these lids on Amazon that seem to work well and look nice on the tobacco bar.
View attachment 9498
Had some similar I got from Ikea. Okay for a few weeks or so, for blends you're going to smoke on a regular basis but not good for long term, say several months. Mine didn't seal up tight enough.