Storing in tins vs Ball jars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman

Reaction score
I have bought a lot of 2 oz. tins over the past year or so. I've opened them and tried them. Now, I'm wondering if the contents of those tins are better served being stored in Ball/Mason jars. With the impending tax situation tobacco storage is on my mind.

Thanks-Mike

My rule of thumb is when I open a 2oz/50g tin, if I don't intend to smoke it up within two or three weeks, put it in a jar. You can still open the jar for a pipeful once and a while... but it is best in a jar and it frees you up to tried other blends.

Yo Jazz, I'm with frtplt and Puffs on this put'em "under glass", once you lose the esential oils from the tabac rehydrating becomes problematic, Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

Never leave tobacco to dry out in an open tin. Always immediately transfer it into a mason jar....

Agreed, and now that Mason (or is it Ball?) has the little 4 ounce jars, along with the 8 oz. 12 oz. (same diameter as the 8 but longer, perfect for flakes) 16 oz. and 32 oz. and all take the same lids, they're damn near perfect.

Eights and fours are perfect for holding a smaller tin and keeping it "fresh" while allowing aging.

Natch

Danish_Pipe_Guy":ukohhlbl said:
Never leave tobacco to dry out in an open tin. Always immediately transfer it into a mason jar....
Unless it is a McClelland's Frog Morton blend. They will never dry out. You can even leave the plastic lid off of them for and indefinite period of time with no worry of drying out.

Justpipes":a781rjdu said:
Danish_Pipe_Guy":a781rjdu said:
Unless it is a McClelland's Frog Morton blend. They will never dry out. You can even leave the plastic lid off of them for and indefinite period of time with no worry of drying out.
You're 100% right on about that Mark. You could leave that stuff in death valley under a solar panel and it would still be wet! :lol:

Danish_Pipe_Guy":0fa2nw3j said:
Danish,

I have studied the pics of your man-cave (with envy), and noticed that on your shelves you have several cool "tobacco jar"/humidors. I like those alot. I assume you also store tobacco in those? What are some tips on proper use of those type of tobacco containers.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks for the input, I'm off to buy some Ball jars.

Danish, If I could add another question to Tim's about your man-cave, Does it have to remain a a certain temp/humidity? Peace-Mike

Just the ambient temp/hum of your space works for me, Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

Tim in Ohio":skx4mrnk said:
Danish_Pipe_Guy":skx4mrnk said:
Danish,

I have studied the pics of your man-cave (with envy), and noticed that on your shelves you have several cool "tobacco jar"/humidors. I like those alot. I assume you also store tobacco in those? What are some tips on proper use of those type of tobacco containers.

Thanks,
Tim
Hello there Bro Tim. I can't thank you enough for the kind words man. Always nice to meet someone else who appreciates my junk. All of the jars in the pics that you see are decorative only. Most would be poor containers for tobacco as they lack an adequate seal and there's no where to put a humidifying agent. Three of my jars are original 17th century Dutch versions (see below) which a fella brought over from Holland with him for sale at the Chicagoland pipe show. These should'nt really be in my home. They should likely be in a museum. All are empty and are for looking at...

pipes009.jpg

pipes008.jpg

pipes007.jpg

Jazzman":52h18d3u said:
Thanks for the input, I'm off to buy some Ball jars.

Danish, If I could add another question to Tim's about your man-cave, Does it have to remain a a certain temp/humidity? Peace-Mike
Hey Mike, Sorry I missed the meeting last month. Been saving up to make a spalsh at the NY show in a few days. As far as temp goes, I'd wanna keep my tobacco under 70% but 68% would be perfect. Humidity is a non factor in my opinion unless you live somewhere tropical and store your tins in the garage...

Calling Dock's domain a "man-cave" is somewhat like calling Mammoth Cave just another hole in the ground!!! :lol!: :cheers: FTRPLT

An interesting topic boys! I am taking special notes on Ken's suggestions. I hear he has a cellar bigger than my house. I do agree on glass. I store mine in small honey type jars with a airtight lids if the batch is round 50 to 100g. I am a little worried in the sense that my man cave is on the side of the house. Here in RSA our summers are real hot and the room gets quite hot in summer with the afternoon sun baking the outside walls. The room has the curtains drawn all the time to avoid bright light. I spend most of my evenings in there when it is cooler and I am home from work! I am worried about those hot days tho'

KEN..... how about a post on the subject. I am sure there are many brothers out there that respect your expertise and knowledge on this subject! I think we could learn alot from you! RESPECT!

If I plan on smoking within a few months, I just put a square of tinfoil under the lid before closing and then trim the edges. This really tightens up the seal. I don't bother with the screw-type tins like escudo, they do OK on their own. I like the way the tins look on my rack, mason jars belong in a drawer.

I have a bunch of Ball jars in my basement... but no lids! Dumb question... where can I get some lids? Someplace like WalMart?

Wal-mutt or your local grocery. I've seen them at Publix and Kroger in our neighborhood.

Local hardware stores will often have 'em, too.

If you're planning on doing some serious jarring over time, supermarkets (around here at least) tend to put canning supplies on serious discount in early winter (i.e. after the last fall produce). I scored a bunch of replacement lids & rings and some nice 1.5 pt jars all at 50%-75% off.