[strike]Leaving[/strike] Left town for a couple of days.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we would all like something like that....beautiful pictures Kyle.  Glad you had a good time.

Absolutely beautiful.  Rain, fog and wind?  Maybe not the best for hiking, but sounds like perfect weather to enjoy some quiet time in a cabin, to me!

Although the thought of a re-energized KW is a bit frightening!

idbowman":4ear2idx said:
Although the thought of a re-energized KW is a bit frightening!
I'm a pretty simple guy with a complex exterior. Babbling = unsettled. Simplicity/succinctly-put = thinking. Quiet/non-participation = method applied (watch out world).

I'm about mid-way in the process. Nothing to worry about. :heart:

8)

Hey . . . they have water in Nevada !

Who would have guessed ?   :oops: 

:face:

This was in the Sierra Nevadas on the California side...there's Tahoe or Pyramid Lake, but the former is pretty commercialized and the latter run by some pretty strict Natives on a reservation. :lol:

All three pictures are good but the time warp B&W is excellent!! It really has the feel of a bygone era. I hope the trip is the beginning of an upswing for ya!

Beautiful, I'm jealous. I haven't used my typewriters in too long.

I'll be going salmon fishing in upstate New York in the very near future, though I don't think a tent has quite the same charm as a rustic cabin, nor is it any place for a typewriter.

Nice place to get away to for sure ! You're lucky to live so close to a place like that ! :p 

This picture of Faulkner has always impressed me. Not much a fan of his writing (felt most of it was fairly drab and catered-to), but he, as a man, I can relate to the guy in a lot of ways.

faulkner_pic.jpg

...I guess that BW picture turned out to be my version, my homage. Once I saw it when I got home, I changed the color to a grayscale, and that was it. I hate 99% pictures of myself, because they lie. This one, though, was how I saw myself there, doing what I was doing. Distracted but working, sorting and surrounded by things important to me.

Monbla, I am lucky...lucky that a particular Parker 45 wrote particularly well up there. :)

8)

(...just as lucky to be back with my friends, I might add...)

Re the black and white photo: Dammit, Kyle, you've got panache! Understated, perhaps, but panache, I say! 8)

Thanks RB. I think. :lol: For as unphotogenic as I am much of the time, rare snapshots in-the-life-of might as well be honest if not... "panache..."

8)

Do you take your style quotes from Faulkner too Kyle? Khaki shorts with belt and no shirt, and.... are those Ugg boots? :suspect:  :no: :fpalm:

Yes, because in my picture, I'm wearing no shirt, weird shorts and funky boots. Clearly, you caught me, PeeDee. :lol: Sorry to destroy your titillation, but I'm quite OEM in the fashion department how I've been visually captured so far. Pay me enough, though, I'll sit around and amuse you dressed however you like. I'm shameless, remember?

:lol:

IMHO, you have tossed Faulkner the writer off. How much of him did you read? Did you just start one of his novel's and form an opinion?

To my mind, and I wish to emphasize "my," he is one of the major stylists of the 20th century. For instance he will write one of his famous convolutions and then proceed, within the same style, to append a half-dozen or so sentences that layer meaning upon meaning. Also, his characterizations of what has been termed the Gothic South are unmatched. Also, as in "Light in August," he gives point of view to a second person, telling the first person account to yet a third person, thus building all three characters/plot in unison. His ability to establish rhetorical balance amidst his convolutions is altogether unmatched by any 20th Century writer except Henry James. Both were geniuses of syntax and found their art in elaborated prose forms.

I find him a perpetual challenge and an unmatched poet/novelist.

Again, all of the above is just my humble opinion.

Faulkner is the man who famously said "My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whisky." You have to like the guy.

"Light in August" is a little obtuse for all but the hard core Faulkner fans. One of the versions of "The Bear" can give you some insight into the brilliance of the guy, and it is pretty accessible.

Fr_Tom":1cuibkh7 said:
Faulkner is the man who famously said "My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whisky." You have to like the guy.
Exactly why I dig the fella, perhaps not his work.

As a writer, Walt, I expect certain things. As a painter, musician, etc, too. I envy those who do what I cannot do, as they are a challenge. Faulkner can write, I'll give him that. His depth and thought always gave way to flowery imagery, which I'm not so much for. Granted, poetry and prose never were my strong suit, I also never felt so enamored by the craft of imagery that. Sound and the Fury, As I Lay Dying, those were examples of lofty creations that I simply couldn't relate to, no matter how well they might have been penned. His shorter stories, which I forget the titles of (been a long time since I read 'em), were a little more interesting, or they were simply shorter, therefore, I wasn't nodding off quite as much. I figure, if I can stay awake through Dostoyevsky or Thomas Mann, Faulkner wasn't quite flavored the way I like my soup.

I'd write more, but I just got done writing a small novella to a brother here via PM. I'm a bit tapped.

I don't discount or dismiss Faulkner. Just like I don't discount McClelland. Plenty of people like both, I just wasn't meshing with it. Recognized quality, incompatible product.

8)

Never had time to decipher Faulkner since high school. Absolutely hate stream-of-consciousness b.s. Makes Dostoeyevsky read like Tom Clancy. But he may well be a genius, as evidenced by his innovative use of a corn cob pipe in Sanctuary, about the only thing of substance I remember.