Strong English blends. Got a favorite?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattrhorn

Reaction score
I sure love the strong English and Balkan type blends. I enjoy the Latakia kick and rich tastes. Nightcap, PS Proper English, Frog Morton Cellar (which is on the light side me), are among some favorites. What do you like in an a rich, strong smoke? Any suggestions?

When it comes to some of the more "Chock-full-of-Latakia" blends available on the market, I really enjoy Greg Pease's offerings. For me it's all about balance. From his catalog Odyssey, Blackpoint, Lagonda, Quiet Nights, and Abingdon come to mind, & all of them are stellar in their own way.

From Esoterica, I love Margate and to a lesser extent Penzance. Captain Earle's Ten Russians is fabulous.

There are so many good full Balkan blends on the market and so many that I have in queue to try it's practically silly. :p

I agree DrumsandBeer, there are a lot of them and I a anxious to try them all tonight! But, alas, I will have to make my way to them.

It is like the flood of IPA's on tap. Lots of hops and alcohol and it is quite the journey to get through them. An enjoyable journey!

I look forward to adding some of these to my ever growing case of tobacco.

Cornell and Diehl's Pirate kake is quite the latakia bomb.

For a classic full English blend there are two that I have smoked for several decades now, Dunhill's 965 and London Mixture. 965 is the classic English mixture and the London Mixture is more in the Balkan side with the addition of the Turkish and Oriental leaf with the Latakia all with a nice Virginia base. My two fave Balkan blends are Peretii's Royal Blend and McClelland's Oriental 14 both very much like the BS 759 of days gone by. None of these are an in your face lat bomb 'bacs, rather full well rounded smooth examples of the genre.

I agree with Drums&Beer and Brewdude (guess I agree with beer drinkers?) both GLP Oddisy and Uhle's Bishops Move have substantial lat flavor, but I found both bold yet balanced.

Natch

Captain Earls Ten Russians is a really strong one. Always wanted to try the Uhles Bishops Move.

eh hum...:scratch: 

Irishman's 5 O'Clock

(It's like deja vu all over again)

Smoking a bowl right now. Highly enjoyable like BoB's :queen: Embarcadero

A personal fav. It's the :king: of the Balkans, baby! IMHO, of course.

Ill second Irishman's 5 O'clock. There are alot of great english blends. I regularly smoke Dunhill London mix. Although harder to get from Germain; Penzance, Margate & their blend for Smokers Haven, Exotique are all great smokes. I just started dipping into GLP blends, so far Odyssey, Quiet Nights & Abingdon are quite good. What can I say, I like english/lat blends :).

My favorite English blend is McClelland 5110 Dark English.

When I am in the mood for an English with a spicy kick, I reach for Rattray's 7 Reserve.

C&D Star of the East, Margate, Penzance are my favorite lat bombs (in that order). Peterson Old Dublin is my favorite all around English blend.

I have a lot of Latakia favorites whose scope and value run the gamut. This time of year, though, I start backing away from the Latakia stuff. One strong one that is a kick in the shorts while still being balanced, especially if you ain't afraid of a little cigar leaf is GLP Robusto.

Otherwise, it's (in no particular order) Billy Budd, Star of the East (flake or original), Balkan Sasieni, Nightcap, Squadron Leader, SG Navy Flake, Sextant, Ten Russians... all excellent, and the list goes on.

If you really want to try the mild-but-ever-present nuances of Latakia, just because, head on over to McClelland's 3 Oaks Syrian and also 3 Oaks Original (which is Cyprian)...both Lat-forward blends sure to give you an honest, direct flavor pop without killing you.

8)

I'll add Plum Pudding and Lancer's Slices to this already excellent listing of Lat blends....the GLP offerings cover the full spectrum of flavor profiles, as already noted. Can't go wrong with them...

All the usual suspects:
Nightcap
London Mixture
Penzance
And more recently, Exotique.

However, this west coast heat wave is making me crave lighter, more delicate flavors of late. Three Nuns sounds goods.

Great suggestions! Now my list grows longer. Local shop has the Squadron Leader and I almost bought one of those. I actually ordered some GLP Robusto and they said it will be in this month after the big tobacco show in Vegas. I will look for some Penzance also. I am agreeing with the heat and a bit more n the mild side and I am having a Fox Hound right now.