Suggested sites for regular reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
Wondering what sites folks here visit on a regular basis for reading. I tend to rely on the internet for reading, learning new things and just generally stimulating my brain. Living as an expat in an isolated part of Korea I don't have access to newspapers or bookshops that sell magazines or books in english. The sites I always visit for daily reading are:

-CNN (for world news)
-The Onion (for a humorous take on things going on in the world...if you go there, be sure to check out American Voices)
-Art of Manliness (a blog that I highly recommend because the writing is often well researched and intelligent. I think many of you here would enjoy that blog a lot.)
-Yahoo Canada (I'm ashamed to admit that one because its progressively degenerating into something akin to the National Enquirer it seems)
-various sites concerning education like Edutopia, Teacher Tech and Google Educator Groups because I'm in the field of education and like to keep informed.

But it seems day after day I just keep visiting the same sites and I would welcome some new suggestions. What sites can you guys recommend for daily reading that offer intelligent and informative content on a regular basis?

Thanks!

Yes, The Art of Manliness is great. I start with Drudge, then Real Clear Politics, then maybe American Thinker. Daily Dose of Reason is always thoughtful. Mental Floss is interesting; ditto Intellectual Takeout.

I frequent the BBC for an update on the UK's and world affairs.

My real passion though is the BBC's World Service. Many of the subjects discussed are quite simply enthralling and are the perfect companion for a favourite pipe and 'baccy. I can highly recommend the following programmes:

Outlook
Witness
The Documentary
The History Hour
The Enquiry
Discovery
The Science Hour

These are all available as podcasts and I simply love downloading these to my phone for listening to when the mood takes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/worldserviceradio

Enjoy my friend. I doubt you'll ever look back!

I check most of the above daily as well as the BBC as well as Rueters and the Wall Street Journal. :twisted: :twisted:

I scan the free IOS/Android app NYTnow a couple of times a day. They do morning and evening briefings along with many other stories a day. :shock:

The Electric Typewriter

Good site for articles and essays. I frequent this site mostly to read Chuck Klosterman articles but there is other good stuff too.

Another good one by Klosterman:
On Creed and Nickelback-Hated Bands

Excerpt:
It’s hard to get inside the existential paradox of Kroeger’s [Nickelback's frontman] life on tour: Every day, he gives interviews to journalists and radio DJs who directly ask him why no one likes his band. Every night, he plays music to thousands of enraptured superfans, many of whom love him with a ferocity that’s probably unhealthy. Every concert ends with a standing ovation; if he feels motivated, he spends the remainder of the night partying with forgettable strangers who will remember him for the rest of their lives. Eventually, Kroeger falls asleep. And then he wakes up in a beautiful hotel room, only to read new articles about how everyone in North America hates his band.

There is not one part of his life that’s real.

May I go a bit afield?

Explore.org
Trcwebcam.org

The first is a collection of webcams giving live and taped action footage of wildlife from all over the planet. There's something irresistible about it. Viewers have given names to the Brown bears catching salmon dinners at Brooks Falls. The second is made up of webcams chronicling the activities of small towns in northern and central Maine (Milo, mostly). To tell the truth, nothing much happens in Milo. But I live in such a congested area of Connecticut that visiting this quiet, isolated, rural enclave is relaxing. Main Street doesn't have a traffic light. Regulars gather every morning at what seems to be the town's only restaurant. I now recognize certain pickup trucks and wonder what their drivers are doing.

Strictly speaking, neither of these are "reading" but the news these days is irritating as hell, and these two sites are a nice respite and can be enjoyed with a briar in hand. So enjoy.

Avalon.law.yale.edu

But, okay, if you insist on reading, check into the above which provides readers with enough fascinating original historic texts to keep you busy through the end of the decade, at least. I enjoy original texts way more than modern commentary

TOR dot com - a good sci Fi fantasy punisher site with lots of links and excerpts

And the Amazon prime thing for $10 a month gets unlimited download "rentals" of free books - keep up to ten in your Kindle library and return to check out more. For me, a very good thing.

Stick":keouqged said:

My real passion though is the BBC's World Service.  Many of the subjects discussed are quite simply enthralling and are the perfect companion for a favourite pipe and 'baccy.  I can highly recommend the following programmes:

Outlook
Witness
The Documentary
The History Hour
The Enquiry
Discovery
The Science Hour

These are all available as podcasts and I simply love downloading these to my phone for listening to when the mood takes.

Enjoy my friend.  I doubt you'll ever look back!
Thanks for this stick. I love good radio, of which there is a dire shortage here in SA. I think you may be my new best friend!

Puffer Mark":h83nsrpa said:
Stick":h83nsrpa said:

My real passion though is the BBC's World Service.  Many of the subjects discussed are quite simply enthralling and are the perfect companion for a favourite pipe and 'baccy.  I can highly recommend the following programmes:

Outlook
Witness
The Documentary
The History Hour
The Enquiry
Discovery
The Science Hour

Enjoy my friend.  I doubt you'll ever look back!
Thanks for this stick. I love good radio, of which there is a dire shortage here in SA. I think you may be my new best friend!
Glad to be of service! Not quite a 'read' in the truest sense, but a great source of learning. These really are 'bucket list' listens. (IMHO)!

would you fellers be interested in a Reading Material category in the Links section?
You are aware we have a links section? Lol.
I need to do some serious maintenance on the section but no one seems to care and it's a lot of work for nothing if it isn't being used.