suggestions for a nic heavy blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftover421

Reaction score
Ok, here’s my question, as a former cigarette smoker I am looking for a few tasty blends that are still heavy in some vitamin-N. I mean really heavy, turn ya green if you’re not careful heavy with vitamin-N. :pale: Any suggestions :?:

I've read that Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd (Burley, Virginia, Latakia & Cigar Leaf) is a little overwhelming for some people. Peterson's Irish Flake (one of my favs) can be too, for some. I've never been a cigarette smoker but I'm pretty much immune to nicotine for some reason. Must be my acclimation and expectations from smoking cigars.

Irish Flake or one of the more popular aged Burley's would be a good starting point.

Pretty much most Burley/Kentucky based blends should have the potential to get you there. After that its a case of personal taste, flavor, pH and smoking characteristics. I've been wanting to try some cigar-based blends.

Having a little Virginia in the blend will give a nice background sweetness and flavor that will differentiate the tobacco from coming off as a OTC RYO tobacco.

My $0.02

Based on personal experience:

Peterson Irish Flake
Dunhill nightcap
Samuel Gawith 1792 flake and Brown Rope #4
C&D Billy Budd

Billy Budd has a good nicotine content, but it's not a "turn you green" kind of blend. I can smoke some pretty good sized bowls of BB with very little issue, but if you smoke it on an empty stomach Billy Budd can and probably will get you.

Here's some higher nicotine blends that I really enjoy, mostly because they have great flavor and just happen to be IMHO well done tobaccos.

Mac Baren - Old Dark Fired
Solani - Aged Burley Flake
Solani - Silver Flake
Gawith Hoggarth - Dark Flake - Fellow member Slide turned me onto this stuff and it's great. I would put this up there in strength with 1792 Flake. 1792 is much more of an acquired taste, Dark Flake is relatively devoid of any scent.
Esoterica - Stonehaven - Very similar to G&H Dark Flake, a tad bit sweeter and a little darker tasting but harder to find.
GLP -Haddo's Delight - this stuff is pretty strong. It gives me a pretty good nicotine buzz. Not a turn you green kind of buzz, but definitely a very relaxing body buzz. You gotta like Perique though. :p
Sam Gawith - 1792 Flake- Personally I think this stuff is not as strong as most people make it out to be. I really like it. It's unique and quite sweet. My wife actually likes the smell of it as well. It gives me a good nicotine buzz, but it's by no means overwhelming. I do however smoke smallish bowls of it, usually in a smaller cob and never on an empty stomach. Not a morning smoke! :D

All said and done, you can always smoke Four Brothers. I never have, but it has its following due to the very thing that your searching for. And as PipePuffer mentioned you can go with the English ropes for a little "ropa-dope." ;)

:shock: I finally tried cube cutting :shock: on some FVF. This flake seems to be doing the trick, funny thing too because I kind of gave up on this flake. I didn't like it rubbed, tried folding (eh), shredded it (meh), and then put it away. :confused:
Then I remembered another method mentioned on here, so I did a tiny bit of research :roll:

I cut up my flake to big the first time and ended up dumping the bowl but determined not to give up I gave up and hit up YouTube. After watching a vid or two, I chose my MM Diplomat cob, cut my flake smaller, gravity fed correctly, had a small fight getting it lit, and then finally SHAZZAM. Now I'm puffing away in smoker’s bliss, the frustrations of seeing my family are melting away, and I'm loving my Sam G. fvf. Thank you again BoB.

I am also making a TAD list from the recommendations here. I already have some night cap but it bit me bad one of the first nights I smoked it so I have been a bit scared of it after that. Might try it tomorrow night.

Added a link to the 'cube' method as shown on PipesMagazine.com.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpQ9EqPuB2Y
Just in case any newbs like me are browsing about :suspect:

I've got to second DrumsAndBeer on Billy Budd--delicious and strong, but still not one that has kicked me with N either. I certainly recommend it for its great taste and easy smoking ability, and thus wish to second Hereward's suggesting it as well, but not for my experience with its nicotine.

The blend that jumped into my mind when I saw the thread's subject is another C&D however, Purple Cow. It's also a cigar leaf blend, but wow, it was a good thing I was in my butterfly chair already when I started smoking it the first time.

HOs

GH Dark Flake
GH Brown and Black Irish X
SG 1792
Five Brothers
GH Dark Plug (only from Mars, hard to get)

Peterson Irish Flake, an HO but not quite as strong as the above

Dunhill Royal Yacht is usually a potent blend, even for most seasoned pipers.

I'll add to the list already provided rather than repeat it

GH Dark Birdseye - nice smoke, easy to pack and light and satisfying in the nicotine department.

As a former (and still occasional) cigarette smoker, I'd like to recommend Old Joe Krantz by C&D. It's their most popular bulk blend, and it's comprised of burley, perique and virginia. It's a STOUT blend with more than enough nicotine for most guys. It's also perfect for cigarette smokers, as it's quite forgiving if you absent-mindedly puff too fast. I tried going exclusively to the pipe for years before finding this stuff....
If OJK doesn't do the trick, I'd suggest Haddo's Delight by GL Pease, Dark Flake (scented or unscented) by G&H, or Irish Flake by Peterson.

Being a former and still occasional cig smoker ( Dunhill Reds) I'd have to recommend Dunhill's Royal Yacht, which is a much, much heavier Lady N loaded bac than Nightcap :p If you are not used to it, this 'bac WILL set you on your ass Nic wise :twisted:

What a response! :cheers: Thank you brothers! :)

I have been trying to come up with an excuse to buy a tin of Royal Yacht so I think that will top my list. Sometime after lunch today I will be going on over to my B&M with my now enormous shopping list. Probably only pick up a couple of your suggestion’s because I don’t have much cash to spend but I am going to keep the shopping list around for future reference.

Thank you again!

Well, it's not really a "blend", but there is always good ol' Five Brothers.

Nah, Billy Budd is a nic-kitten compared to JKP, Pete Irish Flake or Micky B's ODF. That's why I like BB so much: it has the flavor, but isn't a stomach-turner. Warrior Plug, if you can get it, is a serious nicotine machine. Otherwise, I'd probably say Irish Flake is one of the easiest smoking nicotine testing system. JKP (among others) has a little of a learning curve for most to both enjoy and handle the bucking bronco of Lady N. At least from my viewpoint.

Good luck in your search.

8)

I regularly smoke C&D Billy Budd, but I find C&D burley flake #3 to be a whole level above it nicotine-wise. Allegedly Five Brothers is of legendary strength, though I have not tried it.

I say "meh" to many of the blends suggested here. Not that I have a high nic-tolerence (which I believe I actually don't) nor do I consider myself a macho-man.

My take-

Haddo's - yes it can be potent including and especially when young. I give it 5/10 on the nic scale. Smoke it after a big meal and you're good to go.

Pete's Irish Flake - Somewhat high on the meter. Yet I've also found this to be lacking in complexity and somewhat thin. Others find this wonderful. 4/5 nic hit.

For my money, Sammy G's Brown Rope #4 will light you up and spit you out! BIG flavor and also an equally deadly nic hit. Smoke this in a small bowl and sip carefully. 10/10, and be careful to be near the bog....a sudden rush to it with an involuntary evacuation of the lower bowels may be near!

:evil:

Sammy G's Black XX Twist is somewhat less potent, but nowt by much.

Tambolaka I couldn't get on with. Much too harsh. Yet I had the fresh version. Perhaps this improves upon ageing.

The others mentioned I have little or no experience with. And I hasten to add that I don't smoke for the nic hit, and in fact don't appreciate it when it becomes a significant factor. Not why I smoke pipes.

<shrug>

YMMV as always..........

Cheers,

RR