Summertime flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"sam"

Reaction score
I've pretty much wrapped up my little tour of Va flakes and VaBurs and pinned down a few favorites, but I'm curious about Golden Glow/MVF.  My tastes seem to lean towards darker, higher nicotine smokes, however I do like brighter/hay-like flakes in the summer...I would like to find a "summer" flake that still has a medium to higher nicotine level.   Union Square is what I'm smoking now, I like it so far and may just call it a day, but would certainly appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

"sam" - MVF/GG is like Esoterica Peacehaven.  If you like some heft to your summertime flake, Capstan Blue might fit your tastes.  How about McClellands, such as 5100?  Or do you prefer intact flakes? Is Dunhill Flake too light for you?

A little Perique, such as Reiner's Golden Flake, or Marlin Flake might do the job.  F&T has several excellent flakes, and Former's has similar albeit Per containing flakes.  Then there's Hamborger Veermaster and Limerick.  Altadis #507 Virginia Slices may be the best buy.

hp
les

My Fave all the time flake is Mcc's FM2000. Nice and sweet and not so heavy, a nice even, smooth broken flake suitable for all times of the day and year IMHO. If you prefer full flakes, I would recommend, three others, listed in lighter to fuller levels, but none not suitable to the warmer times though I smoke all of these all year. Dunhill Flake, Orlik Golden Sliced, and Erinmore Flake. :p

Light, summery, hay-like, I'd have to go with the classic OGS, maybe a little GH&Co Bright CR Flake, too.

I'm headed back to a summer of Union Square, Embarcadero and on cooler evenings, Billy Budd. Storm Front will be in there too.

It's a winning lineup for me. Generally lighter in nicotine, less bold and limited Latakia.

8)

Thank you for all of the great suggestions, a bunch of them are on my to-smoke list. I have a tin of Dunhill Flake that I haven't had a chance to try yet, but will soon. I've been smoking a fair amount OGS and Union Square lately. The OGS really has that hay-like quality I like in the Summer, and although I usually stay away from perique, OGS is great. Rattray's is a blender I haven't tried yet but really want to. The first few real Virginia tobaccos I ever had were all from McClelland and I enjoyed them. I don't know much about some of the other blenders mentioned and will have to read up on them. It's pretty easy to get overwhelmed by all of the amazing choices out there, and although I love the idea of trying everything, I also like the idea of simplicity and routine and will eventually pare things down to a few blends and try not to look back. Thanks again for all the recommendations.

I don't really have a seasonal rotation as such.

Some suggest that burley blends are more suitable for hot weather puffing and eschew heavy Lat blends.

I'm pretty constant through the months.

VA/VaPers/mostly. With a little of everything else thrown in when the time is right.

Cheers,

RR

Almost all the VA flakes and plugs I smoke are of the deeper, darker variety, and the brighter iterations don't typically grab me as much. I will say that I am going through a tin of F&T Cut VA Plug which is on the brighter, more summery side, and though not generally my thing, I find it pleasant enough. Reviews on TR.com are a bit more enthusiastic than my own so if you do like this kind of tobacco, I'd imagine that CVP is a good example of it.

I tend to fill my summer bowls with cube cut burley personally, and Storm Front usually leads the charge.

I really like Orlik Golden Sliced and Erinmore Flake all year long. I'm inside in the AC most of the time so seasons don't really matter to me. They're just great tobaccos IMHO.:) 
AJ

Blackhorse":bz6zytfi said:
I'm not sure how hay-like it is...but I'd recommend Solani Silver Flake as a delicious medium strength summer flake.

For hay-like I'd go with Esoterica Tilbury.

Tilbury does look good. Shag version of Stonehaven?

Tilbury - "A harmonious blend of Golden and Dark Virginias with small portions of Burley and air-cured leaf. Matured by a special process over 100 years old, producing a unique natural aroma and piquant flavor."

Side note from a quick search on Tilbury: It's really irritating when I read a one star review that includes things like "I find that it's boring and doesn't have any flavor so I went back to my personal all-day smoke, 1792". Uh... um... :roll: 

It is nothing like Stonehaven. And it's not shag cut. It's more like a broken flake as I recall.

So...Germaine makes both. Now, bear with me here...if the company was Gawith, the difference would be like Full VA Flake vs. Medium VA Flake. Not that either one resembles the Gawith items, that's just how far apart they are IMHO.

Escudo for a Va/Per. Storm Front for a Burley hybrid (cigar leaf added). Both are very enjoyable anytime but I think summer too as they aren't so demanding of your attention. I like these two fishing for walleye.

P.S. Cobs are more of my preference in the summer. These two in cobs are A-Ok.

I'm not sure about the nic hit, but G.L Pease Montgomery is a wonderful lighter-Virginia based blend that is delightful in warmer weather.

Big G":aagzqnov said:
I'm not sure about the nic hit, but G.L Pease Montgomery is a wonderful lighter-Virginia based blend that is delightful in warmer weather.
great to hear, i've got a tin from 05 that i've been pondering opening up. i have too many open tins at the moment though. white whine...

Andy - I've heard Grousemoor called many things, but this might be the first time it was light and Summery. I can't tell by your post if you're smirking. One good thing about smoking it in the Summer though..it's an outside smoking time. Reactions to Grousemoor smoked indoors often vary widely. :lol: 

Grousemoor is like the yearly fetish/S&M conventions that happen at hotel meeting spaces...they're bound to happen, and people are always somewhat curious but justifiably frightened.

Can you imagine a room filled with delighted Grousemoor smokers all happily torturing each other?

More power to 'em. One man's "light and summery" is another man's...erm.... :scratch:  :lol:

8)