Sutliff No.5

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CipsterX

Reaction score
First bowl of this English and my initial impressions of this are good. Tin note smells like Frog Morton. Taste is predominately Latakia with a lot of spice. So far so good. Moisture level was perfect out of the tin!

It's what I would call a "sleeper" blend, not a lot of folks smoke it but those that do seem to like it. I do and usually have a tin around all the time. Sutliff has some other good Balkan style blends in that series as well.

I like this blend very much. I also like Fieldmaster, which is a little lighter with some burley.

I just found a place with a lot of Sutliffe on the shelf and no takers. The guy said any two for ten bucks. There was some No. 5 up there. I am on it tomorrow. Glad I saw this. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tip...

monbla256":2jwnznj7 said:
It's what I would call a "sleeper" blend, not a lot of folks smoke it but those that do seem to like it. I do and usually have a tin around all the time.  Sutliff has some other good Balkan style blends in that series as well.
I'm thinking all of the Sutliff blends are good, though they certainly do fly under the radar. Jim's reviews have certainly helped to shed some light on the Sutliff blends.

I've smoke more than a few of the Sutliffs. I found the No. 5 to be a very good English blend, but a bit too full for my tastes (I prefer my English blends on the mild side) -- added a pinch of Carter Hall to it and it was fine.

Along the same line, yet a bit more complex and smoother, to me, is Sutliff's Bosphorus Cruise, good stuff as well.

rothnh":ojkrj7r4 said:
monbla256":ojkrj7r4 said:
It's what I would call a "sleeper" blend, not a lot of folks smoke it but those that do seem to like it. I do and usually have a tin around all the time.  Sutliff has some other good Balkan style blends in that series as well.
I'm thinking all of the Sutliff blends are good, though they certainly do fly under the radar.  Jim's reviews have certainly helped to shed some light on the Sutliff blends

Along the same line, yet a bit more complex and smoother, to me, is Sutliff's Bosphorus Cruise, good stuff as well.
That's another of those "sleepers" they make and probably one of the nicest Balkan mixtures made  :p :p

No. 5 is not my cup o' tea so to speak but there are other Sutliff blends out there that I have tried recently and enjoy them. One is the "R" blend which is an attempt at re-creating Revelation. It's a very nice Burley mixture that I enjoy, another blend is CD blend. This is another re-creation attempt at Country Doctor and it's a nice blend as well. Many smokers complain about some of the Sutliff Blends because they do use Propylene Glycol on their leaf. It's easy to tell which ones, they don't dry out.

I received 4 1.5 oz. cans of non-aromatic Sutliff blends from the company some time ago, shortly before Mac Baren took over from Altadis.

I've yet to open the cans of the Sutliff R Blend and the Balkan Luxury Blend.

I took a chance and got an 8 oz. can of the Sutliff CD blend (it was my "free can" from the recent P&C "Buy 3, get 1 free" promotion). The other three 8 oz. cans are the Man's Best Friend which is my favorite Sutliff blend thus far.

I'm looking forward to popping the CD and will do so as soon as I get around to buying more 8 oz. Ball canning jars.

Now up: Wal-Hall (50/50 Carter Hall & Walnut) in the T.A. Harris Celtic Morta Dublin.

rothnh":krbljsmg said:
I received 4 1.5 oz. cans of non-aromatic Sutliff blends from the company some time ago, shortly before Mac Baren took over from Altadis.

I've yet to open the cans of the Sutliff R Blend and the Balkan Luxury Blend.

I took a chance and got an 8 oz. can of the Sutliff CD blend (it was my "free can" from the recent P&C "Buy 3, get 1 free" promotion).  The other three 8 oz. cans are the Man's Best Friend which is my favorite Sutliff blend thus far.

I'm looking forward to popping the CD and will do so as soon as I get around to buying more 8 oz. Ball canning jars.
Balkan Luxury Blend 957 is their attempt at recreating Balkan Sobranie 759.

Jim, I read your highly favorable review on the Sutliff Balkan Luxury Blend and am looking forward to giving this one a shot.

I just started a bowl of Blend No. 5, I'm not a huge English fan, but this blend has to be one of the best Englishes I've tried, the Latakia comes right through and the flavors are great.
~Ron

When you age it a few years, it really shines through. I have some that I really enjoy from 2011. And, I have a can from 2009. Im saving the 2009 can for a bit ;)

d4klutz":wpgbnxix said:
When you age it a few years, it really shines through.  I have some that I really enjoy from 2011.  And, I have a can from 2009.  Im saving the 2009 can for a bit ;)
The problem (and of course whether it's a problem or not not depends on your take on it) ...

The tobaccos in the blend mellow out. Generally, latakia mellows considerably, but this is depending on the actual tobacco.

Generally, Latakia mellows out noticeably after 5 years or so. Less, or longer, depending on the blend.

We carry Blend No.5 tins at my shop too! I have discovered that most smokers who come in and try the No. 5 as their first English blend tend to enjoy it. I have yet to try it though, so I need to get on it!

I like the No. 5 a lot. R Blend is great as well. Bosphorus Cruise is a sleeper with a more pronounced Virginia base. CD is good as is Man's Best Friend. So much to like...

The fastest I have smoked through a Sutliff tin was BRG. It does not seem to review well, but in the tasty "codger" type blend, this one really impressed me.

JimInks":6tz57ev3 said:
Balkan Luxury Blend 957 is their attempt at recreating Balkan Sobranie 759.
Having smoked 759 for several decades I'd have to concur with you on that Jim. The only other blend/mixture made today which is MORE LIKE 759 I would have to say would be Peretii's Royal Blend.  :twisted: 

There are only two Sutliff blends that I can say I really enjoy: No. 5 and Bosphorus Cruise (No. 5 being my preference of the two).

Interesting. I have a sealed tin of No.5 at home, perhaps I'll give it a shot sooner than later.

Truthfully I was so put off by the last tin of Dunhill 965 I smoked that I am even wary of the match blends at this point.  :lol: