Sutliff Private Stock aro's

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarlockBob

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm most definitely NOT a regular aro smoker, but I have found in the past two years or so this very soft spot in my heart for Sutliff's 'A Taste of Summer'.

PEACHES AND CREAM PEOPLE! How could you not love the stuff?  :lol!: 

Who all has had their others? I've gotten to try some of them (Spinnaker being one; not bad if you like twizzlers), but the others tend to burn me some. However, for the price, can one really complain too much?

What do you folks think?

I've had "Top Shelf" (its the bourbon flavored one)

It's good, very mild, easy to smoke, decent room note.

Shoot me a PM if you want to swap a couple of bowls.

I had the Peterson Summertime from 2010 and it was a peach flavor and it was pretty awesome too.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't smoke as many aros as I used to but I will have to put these on the list.

I haven't tried any of their aros, but I do have their Molte Dolce on the way to me. I also love their Blend no 5 (when aged a bit) I have heard that it is sublime, as well as with an amazing room note. My order should be in today. I will let you know what I think.

My two favorite Sutliff aromatics are Molto Dolce and St. George's. The latter has a sweet black cherry aroma.

APKurt":2dotev12 said:
My two favorite Sutliff aromatics are Molto Dolce and St. George's.  The latter has a sweet black cherry aroma.
what's your thoughts on the molte dolce? What flavors/ aromas do you detect?

d4, I've gotten to have a bowl of the Molto Dolce; the big ones off the top of my head when you crack the tin are honey and sweet cream. It's pretty good stuff, from my experience. I don't smoke it really, it's a shade too sweet for my taste, but I enjoyed the little bit I had!

d4klutz":pnwz0imc said:
APKurt":pnwz0imc said:
My two favorite Sutliff aromatics are Molto Dolce and St. George's.  The latter has a sweet black cherry aroma.
what's your thoughts on the molte dolce?  What flavors/ aromas do you detect?
Molto Dolce is the best aromatic I've had so far. I taste/smell mostly caramel and honey.

APKurt":0m9rqodm said:
d4klutz":0m9rqodm said:
APKurt":0m9rqodm said:
what's your thoughts on the molte dolce?  What flavors/ aromas do you detect?
Molto Dolce is the best aromatic I've had so far.  I taste/smell mostly caramel and honey.

Caramel! That's it! I knew there was a big one there I was missing.

I think one of the things I'm most impressed with is the overall price per tin. It's cheap stuff, considering the quality of the smoke.

WarlockBob":refftb87 said:
Caramel! That's it! I knew there was a big one there I was missing.

I think one of the things I'm most impressed with is the overall price per tin. It's cheap stuff, considering the quality of the smoke.
Agreed. As far as aros go, Sutliff is pretty hard to beat. I have tried numerous aromatics and I have not yet found anything that rivals Sutliff for quality and flavor regardless of price.

APKurt":jhwzgarv said:
I have to agree. I think Sutliff brands are written off by too many people. I don't know why, when everything I have tried so far, has been very good.

Now I am really tempted to try a few of these after hearing all the chatter.  What are the 3 best aros they offer?

I've had one Sutliff Aro - Black...something (duck? goose? swan?). Actually, I've got 3/4 of a tin open right now.

It's a pretty straightforward black black cavendish. I'm not much of an aro guy, but when I go that route its usually something mellow, toasted, with a light vanilla-esque casing/topping (1Q, RLP-6, BC-A, ect). The Sutliff seemed like it would have been analogous to Lane's BC-A - the flavor has about what I'd expected, but it was a pain to smoke. Wet, goopy, wet, wet, goopy, and wet even after lots of drying time. This was probably the one Sutliff aro I would have enjoyed and it just didn't fly. Ah well.

Not to say I don't care for Sutliff entirely. I do enjoy some of their non-aros - particularly No. 5 and Bosphorus Cruise - quite a bit.

Jim, I saw this in your review on the Molte Dolce, "As for the room note, well, if you're single, you may not be for long if women smell the wonderful aroma this mixture produces." I wonder if there is a single guy on here that can put this to the test.  :lol!:  Jim, I have read your reviews when I come across them. I appreciate them and they have helped me find some tobaccos that I want to try. I cant wait to try the Molte Dolce.

d4klutz":lm4fwfib said:
Jim,  I saw this in your review on the Molte Dolce, "As for the room note, well, if you're single, you may not be for long if women smell the wonderful aroma this mixture produces."  I wonder if there is a single guy on here that can put this to the test.   :lol!:   Jim, I have read your reviews when I come across them.  I appreciate them and they have helped me find some tobaccos that I want to try.  I cant wait to try the Molte Dolce.  
Thank you for the kind words. I've been married for 25 years this coming July, but I was smoking MD at a friend's house, and his wife offered to leave her husband for me because I was smoking that tobacco. She was kidding, of course, (I hope!) but that's what gave me the idea to make the comment I did on the review.

JimInks":xtjq0pqr said:
Perhaps my reviews of the Sutliff Private Stock blends will help you out some.
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t24588-jim-s-sutliff-private-stock-reviews
Excellent reviews. Thank you. I agree with you that drying the tobacco makes a big difference in the quality of the smoke.

I had a small little fling with Molto Dolce. It's a nice aromatic that's for sure, but it is extremely sweet. I have some left over, feel free to PM me if anyone wants the rest of my tin.

I can attest to WarlockBob's affinity for Taste of Summer....

For me, I've haven't been particularly fond of any of the Sutliff blends...EXCEPT Barbados Plantation. On paper I shouldn't like it at all: thick, goopy black cav, aromatic doused in rum; but for some reason I keep buying the stuff. It's a really nice aro for me.