Quantcast

Sutliff Wins at West Coast Pipe Show

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

JimInks

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 31, 2012
Messages
28,245
Reaction score
0
John S. at Sutliff asked me to post this news for him:
The West Coast Pipe Show was held last week in Las Vegas. During the show, there was a blind taste test competition. The people doing the blind taste testing were attendees. The tobacco companies offering samples were Lane, Hearth&Home, and Sutliff. Sutliff placed first in the Best English category with Mac Baren's HH Old Dark Fired. In second place was MacBaren's HH Vintage Syrian. The Best Aromatic category was won by Sutliff's Private Stock Country Estate blend.
 

Brewdude

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Council Member
Joined
May 4, 2011
Messages
12,935
Reaction score
65
Location
Arid-zona
JimInks":veuo0ben said:
John S. at Sutliff asked me to post this news for him:
The West Coast Pipe Show was held last week in Las Vegas. During the show, there was a blind taste test competition. The people doing the blind taste testing were attendees. The tobacco companies offering samples were Lane, Hearth&Home, and Sutliff. Sutliff placed first in the Best English category with Mac Baren's HH Old Dark Fired. In second place was MacBaren's HH Vintage Syrian. The Best Aromatic category was won by Sutliff's Private Stock Country Estate blend.
:cheers: 

Although, I'd be hard pressed to classify HH ODF in the English category. FWIW.


Cheers,

RR
 

JimInks

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 31, 2012
Messages
28,245
Reaction score
0
Brewdude":d2kqny76 said:
JimInks":d2kqny76 said:
John S. at Sutliff asked me to post this news for him:
The West Coast Pipe Show was held last week in Las Vegas. During the show, there was a blind taste test competition. The people doing the blind taste testing were attendees. The tobacco companies offering samples were Lane, Hearth&Home, and Sutliff. Sutliff placed first in the Best English category with Mac Baren's HH Old Dark Fired. In second place was MacBaren's HH Vintage Syrian. The Best Aromatic category was won by Sutliff's Private Stock Country Estate blend.
:cheers: 

Although, I'd be hard pressed to classify HH ODF in the English category. FWIW.


Cheers,

RR
That seems a little weird to me, too.
 

DrumsAndBeer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
6,598
Reaction score
3
Just out of curiosity, what Sutliff blend won the English category tasting?

Yeah ODF in an English tasting is quite odd..:scratch: 
 

docwatson

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,676
Reaction score
0
I was there in Vegas but did not partake in the tasting, however I do know that there were several categories of tobacco. I don't believe that HH ODF was in the English category but could be mistaken. There should have been a Virginia or Burley category for that IMO.
 

JimInks

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 31, 2012
Messages
28,245
Reaction score
0
docwatson":235w1k42 said:
I was there in Vegas but did not partake in the tasting, however I do know that there were several categories of tobacco. I don't believe that HH ODF was in the English category but could be mistaken. There should have been a Virginia or Burley category for that IMO.
I was told by a Sutliff rep that Old Dark Fired is considered an English blend, so it was in that category. Why, I don't understand, but there must be a reason it's considered an English.
 

docwatson

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,676
Reaction score
0
Well that makes two of us that don't understand why it would be considered an English blend. Go figure.
:shock: 
 

lestrout

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
338
Reaction score
2
The archaic denotation of "English" blends would not necessarily include the use of Latakia, as today's vernacular would. The CORPS13 show at Richmond had a similar blind tasting event and ODF was in the English section too, rather than the VA/VAPer group. The English winner there was Sutliff Fieldmaster.

hp
les
 

docwatson

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,676
Reaction score
0
lestrout":ghkfi615 said:
The archaic denotation of "English" blends would not necessarily include the use of Latakia, as today's vernacular would.

hp
les
Thanks for refreshing my diminished memory Les. That's absolutely correct.
Hope to see you in a few weeks at the Kaywoodie Extravaganza.
And what was your favorite English at the event in Richmond???
Andy
 
Top