Swollen Cornell and Diehl tins

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCordray

Reaction score
Has anyone encountered swollen tins of C&D tobacco? If so, have you noticed any issues with the tobacco contained inside? I remember seeing a review by someone online saying the swollen tin was an indicator of mold, or other 'spoilage', but having never encountered mold myself, wondered if the more experienced out there had any thoughts. Is it normal for pipe tobacco tins to swell as they age? I love C&D, but the recent issues that came to light with Carolina Red has me wondering if other blends may be similarly affected. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

I've had a few swollen tins but, after opening them I found that they were just well aged and without mold or such. I would just open them and can them up in masons so they won't pop and break seal. That's the only problem I can foresee about them. ;)

If the blend has Virginia in it the tins will swell a lot as they age. There is most likely nothing at all wrong with your tobacco. I had a tin of field and stream tinned by Phillip Morris in 1962 that looked like it was ready to explode. It was so swollen that you could easily stick a pencil under one edge of the tin without it touching the rim. The tobacco inside was just fine. Other than Field and Stream being really nasty patchouli scented stuff it was perfectly fine. If you are really concerned about spoilage go ahead and pop the tins. If everything is satisfactory to you just jar it up and smoke it at your leisure.

I notice a lot of my C&D production tins bulge and swell, some don't, but most do. And much moreso than my McClelland tins, as a matter of fact I have several 8-10 year old McClelland tins that aren't bulged at all... while most of the C&D have started to bulge right around the 2 year mark...

In line with this, I just opened a bulging 8oz tin of GLP Fillmore from 2009 and the tobacco is EXCELLENT!

Yep, them Ginny weeds is gonna' swell up a bit as they age?. I was rearranging a bunch of tins two weeks ago. Realized I had a bunch of "leaners and bobbers" due to the bottoms bulging!!! Dang hard to stack those babies very high. Ftrplt

ftrplt":71t02af5 said:
Yep, them Ginny weeds is gonna' swell up a bit as they age?.  I was rearranging a bunch of tins two weeks ago. Realized I had a bunch of "leaners and bobbers" due to the bottoms bulging!!! Dang hard to stack those babies very high. Ftrplt
That's a good problem to have :) I love the whoosh those bulged tins give me!

Good to hear there's no problem with the swollen tins as I was getting concerned about spoiling as well. I've got a tin of Oak Alley that has many years of aging to go and it's already transforming itself into a rolly polly.

I've notice selling tins too - and like you, mostly with the C&D blends. I have not yet had a bad experience opening one of them so I just wrote it off to the gasses being produced by the microbes and fermentation process. I hope your experience is as positive as mine has been since every time I open one, the tobacco inside has been aged wonderfully. Happy smoking brother!

Agree with the others here. My 'bloaters' have actually been GL Pease cans but thy're C&D production so same thing,
One word of warning - look away when you pop the tin. I didn't the first time and got an eyeful of baccy dust :(

Adam

SpeedyPete":akh9t4fh said:
Pregnant tobacco tins.....always something new in our hobby
Bulging tins are nothing new. I highlight any bulge in listings when I sell tobacco but if this stuff was tinned recently I'd pop one to see what's going on given C&D's recent mold issues. :shock:

alandadp":v9ssxsf6 said:
Agree with the others here. My 'bloaters' have actually been GL Pease cans but thy're C&D production so same thing,
One word of warning - look away when you pop the tin. I didn't the first time and got an eyeful of baccy dust :(

Adam
Many of my 2oz triple play tins have swollen beyond my belief. They all smoked great!

Swollen tins with a few years on them just means it's from natural fermentation. Even the older C&D blends. I've personally never came across mold in any C&D blend I've opened after aging. However, if you have a new blend that has basically no age and you notice severe/abnormal swelling I would open a tin and check for any sign of mold. Example: I had a tin of a blend recently released, Temple Bar that was bulging like a round ball. So I decided to open this particular tin. Low and behold I found mold, you could even smell it! I did send it back and it was replaced immediately. After 2 to 3 years it's normal for blends with mostly Virginia's to swell so NO worries. Just worry if you receive a tin dated a month or so before you purchased it and it's already swollen. Just return the tin to the place of purchase, no reason to get ill from moldy tobacco!!
PS
When opening a swollen tin cover it with a clean cloth so you don't lose any of your tobacco. You will get tobacco in your face if you don't... Lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Half of my C&D tins are bugling. I have one stack of GLP tins that looks like the leaning tower of Pisa. I am waiting to see if it topples. ;)

BTW, I have never had an issue with mold, although I did send all my Carolina Red tins back unopened for credit during their recall.

DrumsAndBeer, before this one issue with the new release Temple Bar, I've never had a mold issue. Found out I was not the only person to have mold in this blend. I have opened a tin since and I must say it smokes good now but will definitely get better with aging. None of the other tins are swollen but in time it's normal if the tins bulge. Hope you get too also try this, it's tangy and fruity now but with time it will definitely be more complex :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Hermit, correct with age and proper fermentation the tobacco will be wonderful. Besides the safety glasses I cover the top of the tin with a clean rag so all that great tobacco does not go flying in the air...lol. I gently pull the tab and release the pressure slowly. Works every time :cheers: :cheers: and ENJOY!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!