Swollen Tin

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centurian 803

Reaction score
Hey guys. The other day I opened a six year old tin of C&D Safe Harbor. I was a little concerned when I picked it up because the top and bottom of the tin were bulging. When I opened it there was a notable swoosh (just the opposite of what you get when you open a vacuum sealed can) of escaping air. The tin aroma was very sweet. I took a chance and smoked the tobacco anyway, had to dry it for a while as it was very moist, and it seems ok.
Have any of you experienced this and is it something to be concerned about? Should I check all my tins and transfer the tobacco to a jar if the tins are swollen?:?:

I had a very bulgy tin of Union Square and it was perfectly okay.

Would imagine that it's fermentation at work.

What kind of tins are they?

It's perfectly normal for va heavy blends as they ferment to swell quite a lot! I had a tin of PM Field & Stream from 1963 that I opened just a few months ago. It was so swollen I was concerned about the can not being able to hold the pressure much longer. It was just fine but not what I'm used to as I smoke more burley centric blends. Enjoy some very fine aged tobacco sir!

Jim

DrumsAndBeer":mn6uq8g0 said:
I had a very bulgy tin of Union Square and it was perfectly okay.

Would imagine that it's fermentation at work.What kind of tins are they?
+1 Yup.......

The tins aren't what I would call heavy duty. In fact they're almost flimsy. If it was a predominantly VA blend I would have assumed good aging but this is a burly. Do they age like VAs?

Burleys don't age as dramatically as va's do. They do age though. It's possible there may be some va in the blend. I have old old tins of SWR, PA, and the like and they have shown no signs of bulging at all. (I'm talking 40+ year old tins so the construction is much sturdier).

Jim

everything that i've jarred that was a lat blend all eventually created a vacuum. A bro gifted me 2 pounds of quad-va from John Patton and all of those never did, I popped one open thinking I jarred it too dry. Boy was I surprised when I took a whiff of that, it was like sicking my nose into a ketchup factory. AWESOME.

I got a tin of glp triple play that might explode any minute and it's not ancient. Just a few years on it.

juanmedusa":05u8ocht said:
I got a tin of glp triple play that might explode any minute and it's not ancient. Just a few years on it.
Jar it before it pops!;) 

As others noted, those 2 oz. cans bulging over time is not uncommon and as long as the can is still sealed, the contents should be fine.

I do suggest, however, to check all sealed cans and tins in the cellar every couple months or so for integrity.

If I find a can is bulging, or that the vacuum on a tin appears compromised, I open it and jar it right away.

Leaving a swollen tin alone, IMO will likely cause problems.

Of course, if you're not worried, go head, take that chance. 8) 

Yes, leaving a swollen tin alone could result in all sorts of hideous consequences.

These include, but are not limit to...

Um...

Hold on, I know I had one around here someplace. It was a list. A really long list! A list Laden with dire happenings, catastrophic occurrences...sky falling...dirigibles crashing in a gout of flaming horror into day care centers...Gawith going out of business...pigs flying...COWS flying...cows with diarrhea flying...oh, the humanity...what a world, what a world! You know, the basics.

Note below: official press photo of gentleman who was innocently walking down the street carrying a swollen tin in his inside jacket pocket.

5971425-giant-outdoors-explosion-with-fire-and-black-smoke.jpg