Synjeco Bad Nun

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
I added this blend, and it's periqued cousin Bad Nun II to my recent order from the Synjeco group buy as a afterthought. I'm not sure what I expected, but I was pulled in by the dark black flakes, and the description on the web page stating, “If you like it strong... then you will be surprised.” Well, that turned out to be true.
When the order arrived, I had started with a chest cold. But I had waited so long I just had to try it. So I had 2 bowls on consecutive nights before I became too sick to smoke. My impressions were good. The jar note was deep and smokey with a bit of a hint of a topping, but nothing too strong. I knew I was not getting a true taste due to the cold, but I liked what I tasted. It was interesting. Definitely not a light smoke. And it had some Virginia quality with a really nice smokey note.
Once I recovered I decided to start with some more familiar blends, and I loaded up one of the same pipes with Bayou Night. I did not taste right at all. At first I thought it was residual cold, but it tasted really off. It seemed the pipe was somehow fouled. I tried another pipe and it was fine. There was a ghost in the pipe, and the last thing smoked was bad Nun...
Subsequent bowls (five to date) of Bad Nun have been pretty awful for me. I can only describe the initial taste as something akin to the way cheap cologne smells. Granted this does burn off about halfway leaving something closer to what I experienced in my first two cold-blunted bowls. The topping is not that noticeable in the jar, and I would say that it is more like a fruit scent. But boy does it come through in the smoke.
I would really like to hear from other folks that have tried this, or even like it. Is this the dreaded Lakeland topping that I have been avoiding like the plague? I have learned over the years to give new blends some time, and have been surprised coming back to something after a few months. I'll do the same here, but it is hard to imagine that I will ever be able to ignore that cologne taste.
Mike.

I'll be sure to report my findings when the weather cools off. I have been smoking nothing but simple burley lately. I can't make heads or tails of anything more complex in this awful heat we're having. Everything but burley and lighter Va's taste muddy when it's 107.

I like both Bad Nun and BN II quite a bit, particularly the latter. Both are unmistakably Lakeland tobaccos, but I don't get any of the herbal/floral scenting associated with the genre.