tapioca anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natch

Geographer Ultimo
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I happen to love tapioca, so I make it (in some form or another) rather often, especially during the summer. Just finished a cool bowl of chocolate/banana/peanut butter with fresh strawberries, delicious!

The "trick" for me is not to buy the over-priced red box of tapioca from the grocery store, but go to a good Chinese or Indian supermarket, and get a five or ten pound bag. It comes out to under 60 cents per pound, and it only takes a half cup or so to make a huge bowl (enough to easily serve a dozen people). I also soak the small pearls in milk for an hour or three, then puree it in a blender with eggs and either cream cheese or sour cream. Vanilla extract and fresh or canned fruit are added after it's cooled but before it's set in the fridge. Also, I find it easy (and less energy intensive in summer) to make it in a huge glass bowl in the microwave.

Anyone else like this sweet cool treat?

Natch

Hmmm... looks like you're the only one to admit it. :lol:

Any way, on a Caribbean cruise a few years ago while discussing various topics with the other two couples seated at our dinner table we discovered that all three husbands liked tapioca pudding but each wife didn't. On the last day our waiter ventured on shore at St. Thomas and then presented us with a tapioca pudding cup (Jello brand) for dessert after supper.

Jim

My father loves the big-pearl tapioca. "Frog eyes," he calls it, to antagonize my mother.

Not a huge fan myself, though I very rarely get the craving for the tapioca "bubble tea," a juice-and-iced-tea concoction with pearl tapioca floating in it. You drink it through a special wide-bore straw. It's pleasantly weird, is the best way I can say it.

Sorry, I've simply had too much of the stuff spit up all over me by infants to have managed any appetite for the stuff. You might as well have asked if I've cultivated a taste for diaper poop :lol:

In a similar vein, my favorite cold dessert is HOMEMADE rice pudding, with lots of cinnamon sprinkled on top.

NeroWolfe":mxnqckun said:
In a similar vein, my favorite cold dessert is HOMEMADE rice pudding, with lots of cinnamon sprinkled on top.
Also a favorite of mine, along with bread pudding. All sweet, easy to eat, comfort foods! I make rice pudding a lot out backpacking and canoe-camping. Easy to boil up and cool down in the lake.

Natch