Tell me about calabashes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakki

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm looking at getting a second pipe, and I've always been intrigued by calabashes, but I really don't know anything about them.

Here's a couple of questions:

Do these come in a variety of sizes? What kind of capacity do they have?

I was under the impression that these were traditionally made from a gourd of some sort but I've seen pictures of them that appear to be briar. Is there any advantage to either type?

I understand these usually have a meerschaum lining. Does that mean you don't need to rest them like traditional briar? This would be a big plus for me.

What should I look for in a calabash? Are there particular makes/types that I should seek or avoid?

I have four calabashes, and while I seldom smoke them any more, they are pretty neat and a unique addition to a collection. Two of mine have meerschaum inserts, one has a porcelain insert, and one is really a double-walled clay in a calabash shape. They do produce a cool smoke, but they are definitely armchair pipes. One of the meerschaum-lined ones is huge! I'll try to post a pic later. Pioneer used to be a big maker of calabashes but I haven't kept up so I don't know if they're still around.

Meerschaum or not, I like to rest my calabash between smokes with the bowl removed. The shape is designed to collect condensation away from the stream of smoke, so it can get pretty damp inside there.

Mine is an old CAO with a replacement stem, one I inherited from my late uncle. Good smoker, but invaluable sentimentally.

A calabash is definitely a gourd plus a (usually) meershaum bowl. The bowl is generally no bigger than a usual briar pipe, so it's not as if you're filling the gourd with tobacco.

There are two distinguishing features in the shape. First the bowl has an overhang, similiar to the way a muffin top is larger than the rest of the muffin. Second is the curve of the gourd. One or both of these features are often imitated in briar pipes which are also referred to as calabashes. However, in these cases, it's just the name for the shape. So yes, you will see briar calabashes, but they are not actually calabash pipes, not any more than a briar billiard is a pool cue.

My humble collection of calabashes:

004.jpg

005.jpg

The big 'un with a Pete system for reference:

006.jpg

Fill one of the puppies with a good English blend and settle in for the night!

Nice collection. In the middle picture, I like the northeast one. Is it old? I also like the bold shape of the gourd in the northwest one.

I have one gourd calabash that's covered in suede. It's shown in an upcoming (yet-to-be-posted) video.

KevinP":63vuo2jp said:
Nice collection. In the middle picture, I like the northeast one. Is it old?
Thanks. It's only old as I am old; my wife bought it for me when I started grad school, c. 1970. Damn; forty years ago! It was made by Pioneer, and the gourd is kind of skinny, which at that time made it a "2nd"; they textured the surfaces and fitted them with porcelain bowls instead of meerchaum (grad student budget, you know).

I'll look forward to seeing the suede-covered one; sounds very unique!

Actually i do have a briar Calabash, meerschaum insert into briar base.

Although traditionally they are made from gourds. This one is a Brigham 2010 pipe of the year and smokes great. nice and heavy but the bowl capacity is fairly small. but defintly a nice little change of pace.

I had one a while back that had a walnut (I think?) exterior with a meer bowl. Very handsome pipe and smoked just fine.
Sold it a few years back, don't remember why, but it wasn't because it was a bad smoker.

Natch

Have a Big Ben meer/ briar,,,small bowl,,,optional filter which I use on several blends to soften the taste,,,,,,great little pipe,,,,,,

I had a nice large Pioneer calabash years ago which smoked very nicely, but it mysteriously disappeared when the divorce papers appeared,,,

It's tough to beat a calabash for cool and dry,,,,

I have one, I don't port it around as it's big and awkward, but I've smoked it a few times, I think they're great.

Picture163.jpg

the only one I own is a BUTZ-CHOQUIN calabash with meerschaum insert/lining, it's a superior pipe that I only smoke on certain occasions. there are some "briar wax" pipes that are just cheap copies, a real briar one with a meer lining sounds amazing though.

Smokey Tweed; Where did you buy that Brigham pipe?

"There's A Story behind every Bowl"

My local B&M in Edmonton is a dedicated Brigham dealer and i happen to know they have another one in stock. you can find them at www.toboccannist.ca (Burlington's on Whyte tobacconist) or i believe some of the bigger websites in the states had a few.