That's not a jar....THIS is a jar!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
I saw this GALLON Ball jar and immediately thought, "that would hold a lot of tobacco."  :shock:  Then I thought of you guys and figured some of you are already using these monsters... :D 

Fess up, any of you have enough of one single blend to fill up a gallon jar like this? I'm not actually saying it's a good jar or that you'd actually want to use something this big, just wondering if any of you shelf enough of a single blend to fill something this big.

(Standard jar in front for perspective)
jar10.jpg

I saw those at my local Walmart last week, and thought the same thing!

Found it at Hobby Lobby. Didn't think to look at the price.

I have about eighteen pounds of Hamborger Veermaster,
but it's in half pints and tins.  That's a mighty big jar.
I only use half pints and a few pints.

Geez Louise.

I don't think I'd ever use anything that bag, even if I did have enough of one blend to store in it. I prefer the half pints so that I am able to age the same blend at different intervals.

I've been jarring bulk for a long time and over the past few years, I'm noticed I'm using the quart jars less and less, and the pint and half pint more and more.  It allows me to open some when needed but leave the rest to "rest" until later.  

Still, a gallon jar like that stuffed to the top with PCCA Virginian from 1992 would be a lovley sight to behold (especially if it was sitting in my tobacco larder!).

Natch

Whilst requiring the ageing of vast quantities over a prolonged period those HUGE jars would seem ideal I do rather prefer the smaller jars myself, I don't have vast quantities of any one blend to warrant such a large jar, excellent idea for those with large amounts of a single blend though, nice find Buddy.  :sunny: 

Yeah, I have pounds of blends, but as others said smaller jars are good unless it's a daily blend perhaps.

I use pint jars but would prefer half pints. I use pints just to keep the number of jars hanging around down.

Too big for tobacco storage, I'd say. The plus of half pints is that I can order a variety of tobaks and open them at different intervals. They're stackable, if I'm careful. I don't have to transfer tobak from a storage container to ready-for-use. And available half pints can be put into service for a wee nip.

Be cool to store your bulk in if you where a tobacco store owner. How many pounds of 1Q you think Rob keeps in that?

i.keenum":igwui5k8 said:
Be cool to store your bulk in if you where a tobacco store owner. How many pounds of 1Q you think Rob keeps in that?
I'm sure Rob's I.Q. would fit in a much smaller jar.
Oh, wait! You said 1Q.
Never mind.

George Kaplan":mpjn7alk said:
i.keenum":mpjn7alk said:
I'm sure Rob's I.Q. would fit in a much smaller jar.
Oh, wait! You said 1Q.
Never mind.
I think I just snorted some of my tea trying to stifle a chuckle...

I saw them at Wally World last week in my area as well, and wouldn't hesitate to use them. My usual storage is for quart jars, as they will hold a pound of leaf or flake and I have some that's been cellared over 20 years and it has aged magnificently. I could imagine 4 pounds jammed into one of those monsters, what a great sight.  :cheers: