The 2012 forum pipe thread (merged and edited for clarity)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":cjmzd3w6 said:
JP, I wonder if they could put a rush on the cob bulldogs we talked about recently?
710492.gif
Nah, won't happen. Maybe in late 2014.

I have a couple 5th Avenue cobs, one with a VERY stout bowl, the other more of a tall chimney. They're swell pipes with just a little more room in the barrel for some bacca.

Yeah, the Bulldog is still roughly a year away, and only if they have a bumper crop of larger sized corn this year, which they expect.

tiltjlp":4e7nb8qv said:
Yeah, the Bulldog is stil lroughly a yea raway, and only if they have a bumper crop of larger sized corn this year, which they expect.
I am in LOVE with that cob bulldog.

I really like the idea of a MM BoB pipe.

I tell you what, the MM 5th Ave I picked up at Tinder Box about a week ago is a MONSTER...it made all of the Diplomats in the bin look like toys... :lol:...maybe a sign of things to come?

BoB bulldog cobs would go over VERY well. If not this year, the next! :cheers:

Hi Guys (and Gals),

The POTY idea is a good one. We have undertaken projects of this sort on more than one occasion. We produce for ourselves a POTY each year of 100 pieces. A few years ago we made a POTY for the Kansas City pipe club. We are currently working on a 50 piece POTY for another retailer at this very moment. There really isn't such a thing as "large pipe manufacturers" anymore. Most factories are 5 - 20 (max) people. The pipe makers are extremely experienced and skilled. The difference between an artisan pipe and a "factory" pipe is the cutting of the block. That is free(er) hand or from a cast. Most of the steps following are the same. I hope no one feels like I'm telling you there is no Santa. But I digress....

I suspect that at $400 sales would minimal and at $5 much more. At $150+ sales would be moderate. As such, a "carver" could probably handle sales of a couple or few dozen. For <$100 you could have manufactured a standard shape; one color; add some jewelry (colored ring; nickel ring); and have the stem stamped BoB (or other). In this range, I'm sure that one of the internet retailers could get involved and take pre-order thus managing the order/money end of things. A project of this sort would take 6 months to come about.

On the cheap and cheerful side getting Corn Cob pipes stamped would be easy and quick. However, S&H would cost as much or more than the pipe.

I hope that info helps the discussion.

Brigham, thanks for your input. Maybe now is a good time to get this discussion going, as year-pipes (I noticed) are usually a Christmas thing. That means we can wait for bulldog cobs for 2013. :lol:

I also like the idea of having the pipes run $100-$150. I think most people could probably save/spring for such a pricetag. I know I can, and I'm a broke-ass mofo. 8)

Brigham":p6im80y9 said:
For <$100 you could have manufactured a standard shape; one color; add some jewelry (colored ring; nickel ring); and have the stem stamped BoB (or other). In this range, I'm sure that one of the internet retailers could get involved and take pre-order thus managing the order/money end of things. A project of this sort would take 6 months to come about.
I really like this sort of idea, a standard pipe shape with a ring/stamp.

Side thought--could the bands themselves be stamped with something BoB-like? I always liked how Peterson stamps their band. It looks neat.

*chuckle* The Tamp and Puff read is exactly why I would recommend using someone like Brigham with a custom stamp/ring on a standard pipe shape/color.

It sounds like we're making progress. I've been eying a Brigham for years now. Would love to get in on this if this is the direction we choose to go.

Oh, and special thanks to Brigham for chiming in on this.

Personally with 6 months left for 2012 I think the cobs are an awesome idea. The planning for a more in depth and expensive project might be a little easier to draw up based on how many members participate with it being just a cob this year. People always have ideas of grandeur and skip the steps to ensure those ideas success. I would run the cobs this year and judge things based on how many people say they will get a cob versus how many actually follow through.

I agree that we shouldn't rush this. I'd rather see a solid 2013 release for something special, than neglect something important and severely damage changes for future possibilities.

Anything can be done for a price. That said, stamping a ring would be far more expensive than simply choosing a specific color or metal. You could make it fancy by using a brass washer/black washer/brass washer/color/brass washer/black washer/brass washer or any combination. It seems like there may be a BoB stamp out there somewhere from previous POTY pipes. Would anyone know where this is? A standard stem stamp runs in the range of $50, which, on 50 pipes save $1. Yes, i'm that quick with math. lol Alternatively, a shank stamp "Brothers of Briar" will depend on the number of lines but would run $200-$300. Naturally, the stamp could be used every year and passed from one manufacturer to another. Staying away from numbering will also keep costs reasonable as each number requires changing the stamp and is surprisingly time consuming. Although adding the year is a must.

To create a club feel it might be worth considering a different manufacturer each year. Savinelli one year/Stanwell the next/Kaywoodie/Missouri Meerschaum/Chacom/Brigham and so on can make a nice way to build an "exclusive" selection of pipes without spending a fortune. Each pipe would be specific to that year from that manufacturer. Although not numbered, the production quantity and other collectible aspects would be known. I can't think of a manufacturer that wouldn't be interested in taking on a project of this sort for a 100 or so pipes. Also, an internet retailer working on traditionally smaller margins would help keep the costs down but more importantly have the wherewithal for distribution. They might even be convinced to invest in the shank stamp to ensure they remain the retailer each year.

A few more thoughts. I hope it helps.

Brigham":vgwu7szn said:
Anything can be done for a price. That said, stamping a ring would be far more expensive than simply choosing a specific color or metal. You could make it fancy by using a brass washer/black washer/brass washer/color/brass washer/black washer/brass washer or any combination. It seems like there may be a BoB stamp out there somewhere from previous POTY pipes. Would anyone know where this is? A standard stem stamp runs in the range of $50, which, on 50 pipes save $1. Yes, i'm that quick with math. lol Alternatively, a shank stamp "Brothers of Briar" will depend on the number of lines but would run $200-$300. Naturally, the stamp could be used every year and passed from one manufacturer to another. Staying away from numbering will also keep costs reasonable as each number requires changing the stamp and is surprisingly time consuming. Although adding the year is a must.

To create a club feel it might be worth considering a different manufacturer each year. Savinelli one year/Stanwell the next/Kaywoodie/Missouri Meerschaum/Chacom/Brigham and so on can make a nice way to build an "exclusive" selection of pipes without spending a fortune. Each pipe would be specific to that year from that manufacturer. Although not numbered, the production quantity and other collectible aspects would be known. I can't think of a manufacturer that wouldn't be interested in taking on a project of this sort for a 100 or so pipes. Also, an internet retailer working on traditionally smaller margins would help keep the costs down but more importantly have the wherewithal for distribution. They might even be convinced to invest in the shank stamp to ensure they remain the retailer each year.

A few more thoughts. I hope it helps.
Anyone else wishing they had a Brigham pipe so they could smoke it tonight thinking, "I'm supporting someone awesome."?

Absolutely it helps sir. When you say $50 for the stem stamp or $200-300 for the shank stamp, you are referring to the reusable part (and then the cost would be split across the orders)?

TheSmokeamater":j30pm652 said:
tiltjlp":j30pm652 said:
Yeah, the Bulldog is stil lroughly a yea raway, and only if they have a bumper crop of larger sized corn this year, which they expect.
I am in LOVE with that cob bulldog.

I really like the idea of a MM BoB pipe.
Same here. Not only do I like MM cobs, but having a special shape just for the BoB POY would be a collectors item and affordable for everyone. I'd probably pick up several too.

Not opposed to a Brigham either, depending on the price and style.

Cheers,

RR

It's been an interesting read, this idea. For it to be a REALISTIC and DOABLE project, I think something along the lines of a standard model of say a Brigham pipe with a special stamping or the same idea in a Cob with a SET TIME period for folks to send their $s in to someone either here on the Forum or to the pipe manufacturer and THEN the pipes would be made and sent to those who had "subscribed" to the project. Now if it is to happen, someone would need to "take the bull by the horns" and run the whole process for it to be successful! ( NOT me :p )

That is correct. Both stamp casts can be used thousands of times. Two of the most popular stem stamp applications is heated and applied to foil tape or heated-pressed and then filled with wax (think crayon). Both stand up very well. The shank stamp is all arm-strong (pressure) applied.

Has anyone been in touch with Missouri Meerschaum regarding large cob pipes? Or in touch with a retailer? i thought MM usually carrids some of the larger pipes as a regular listing although I can't be sure.

monbla256":fzubz9nm said:
It's been an interesting read, this idea. For it to be a REALISTIC and DOABLE project, I think something along the lines of a standard model of say a Brigham pipe with a special stamping or the same idea in a Cob with a SET TIME period for folks to send their $s in to someone either here on the Forum or to the pipe manufacturer and THEN the pipes would be made and sent to those who had "subscribed" to the project. Now if it is to happen, someone would need to "take the bull by the horns" and run the whole process for it to be successful! ( NOT me :p )
NOT me EITHER...., and I'm the one who started the darn thread. Not that I don't want to, but I have a hard enough time keeping my own simple life on track without the occaisonal freak-out. I'd mess up Big Time.

Brigham, Thank you VERY MUCH for your insightful contributions! And the rest of the Brothers as well! Thank you all.

I've been considering a Brigham pipe for some months now. A BoB Brigham POTY would be twice as exciting.

The Tim West SmokersForums POTY I posted earlier in this thread was, if I recall correctly, $120. w/o silver band, and $160 with. It was pretty do-able for just about all who subscribed.

The year prior to that we had Mark Tinsky make a 1/8th bent, partially rusticated Bulldog. I forget what that cost. I got in on it late and settled for one of the prototypes, which was slightly sub-par. No discount for that, but I was still happy to get it, and enjoy it immensely to this day.

This has been one of the coolest ideas since BH's bombing missions.

Like most things, it may have to fall on a reliable team rather than one person's shoulders. Because of the nature of the proposed project, likely there'd need to be more than forum conversations to keep things in line--like people's personal email and phone numbers. Someone could handle the money, someone else could handle the PR/Design ideas, someone else would be in contact with whomever makes the pipe. That kind of thing.

I'd love to help, but I've been so random with work, I wouldn't want to drop the ball. :| I barely made a bombing run to keep my word last month.