The Art Of Shaving

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
Anyone use their soaps? I walked into one of their stores in a mall, and bought some very needed Merkur razors. I saw their shaving soaps and creams, and asked about them. A very friendly man with a very funny little mustache showed me the lather and how to get a good lather even though I told him I've been shaving with a bowl and brush for a few years now. Their sandalwood soap smelled amazing! I asked about the price he told me it would be 50 bucks for the soap and teak wood bowl. I asked about the soap itself, he said it was 30 bucks! I usually get a off-brand Pine scented soap that produces a good lather or some Col. Conks. It just seems too expensive for shaving soap.
Thanks,
Zach

TAOS is extremely over priced.

Here is a far better selection, with a plethora of scents, much cheaper.
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Shaving-Soaps_c_16-8-3.html

I like Geo F Trumper products but even they are on the top shelf price wise. If you are seeking economy Haslinger, Razor Rock, etc are very good options.

Shave soap is much like pipes, for the most part you get what you pay for but after a certain point you are paying for the brand name on it.

puros_bran":gpjizpzn said:
TAOS is extremely over priced.
Agreed.

I purchase most of my stuff through Amazon and occasionally through Maggard Razor.

Trumper's Lime is fantastic, one of my favorites.

So far my tops are Poraso Green, TBS Sandalwood, TBS Avocado & Trumper's Lime.

I am still trying to find my preferred DE blade.

I generally face lather with AOS creams.  lemon in the summer and sandalwood over the winter.  there are a lot of excellent soaps/creams out there.  I also really like the GFT coconut followed up with their lime skin food.  most of the better soaps/creams will last a very long time as you only need a touch of product.

second recommending West Coast Shaving.

if you are still looking for 'your' de blades try the personna medical preps.

GFT Limes is divine. I use Gold Dachs soap most of the time with the occasional foray into Tobac, or Mitchell's Wool. But I keep GFT Limes shaving cream and skin food on hand at all times.

My DE is still loaded with Personna Red because me and Pops split down on a thousand some years back. I don't use my DE often though preferring my Japanese handled Feather AC.

Bee & Flower Sandalwood soap is ridiculously cheap, produces a lather you won't believe, and smells amazing.

Japanese handled Feather AC

I like those much better then a straight no screwing around with stones and strops. I have the Japanese AC/SS. I like the Kai Captain Titan blades.

I've used Williams Shaving Soap for over 40 years now. Get it at my local Walgreens or Wally World for no more than $3.95 a bar, Lathers well, softens beard well and smells like old mans soap   :twisted: :twisted: Have tried many others over the 56 years I've been shaving and kept coming back to the Williams ! If it works why change ?  :twisted: :twisted:

The hilarious point of that is in my original post I had written something to the effect of. " Warning: Monbla is going to post about Williams and how he's been using that god forsaken garbage sine 1742 and tell you how great it is" ... Of course I didn't because we are talking about actual Shaving Soap.  :p 

puros_bran":6oyntqzh said:
The hilarious point of that is in my original post I had written something to the effect of.      " Warning: Monbla is going to post about Williams and how he's been using that god forsaken garbage sine 1742 and tell you how great it is" ...   Of course I didn't because we are talking about  actual Shaving Soap.   :p 
I agree, "...actual shaving soap", Williams, NOT that perfumed hand soap sold in round bars  :twisted: :twisted: 

I've been using Personna Labs in a Gillette New Long Comb for several months now and am pretty happy with them. Paid less than $15 delivered for 100 blades. I tried several other brands in a sampler and the only other blade I liked was the Feather, but the cost was a lot higher and the blades weren't any better. Maybe a bit sharper feeling for the first couple of shaves.

I have about dozen different soaps and creams - Proraso, Mikes, Stirling, Tabac, Mitchells Wool Fat. I like Cella the best, especially since you can get a brick that will last for years for less than the cost of one small high dollar designer puck, and the stuff is really, really good.

JCB":k3y2gzeo said:
Man up and grow beards. Soap is for washing your crack and sack. And hands if you have them.
No thanks. I'll grow a beard when I am old and can no longer take care of myself. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy a good shave. Good to know that you're keeping the old under-carriage clean, that's important.  :p 

Thirty bucks a puck does seem excessive, but it's not like you have to buy one a week. They last quite a while, and if some attribute of it really floats your boat, then buy it, IMO.

I like beards, but I like shaving better. I like the way it makes your face feel new every day. Proraso/Edwin Jagger lad here. Favorite aftershave is also the cheapest: Master Bay Rum. Works for me and you can literally buy it by the gallon. Favorite scent, after it settles down: Creed's Green Irish Tweed, one of the most expensive, a recommendation of Mr. Puros Bran elsewhere on this here site.

Is that a Sorbolene cream add or what? Lmao. You just forgot to add your brand of the stuff.

LMAO! My right elbow fused at 110* years ago. I had to get off my ass and learn to shave left handed. I use a straight razor. I have an assortment of soaps, I get them because I like how they smell. I don't care if anyone else likes them I'm the one that has to smell it all day. Yes I have Williams, but I also have a whole mess of others. It just depends on my mood. If you like how it smells and can't find it cheaper anyplace else buy it. Just my 2 cents.

Jim

I just picked up some Simpsons cream in the cafe latte scent to try out. I think it smells more like Guinness than a cafe latte, but I'm good with either one really, lol. Smells great and lathers up well. A little definitely goes a long way.

1. Hardly a silly accusation.
2. Something else witty.
3. Serious question. Why come into the shaving threads and bash? What's the point? Specifically what are you trying to accomplish by sharing in this particular thread?

I have used the williams soap, It works, can't find it anymore, Wally world started carrying another brand I liked it better, can't find it anymore...LOL, seems like the only time places have it around here, anymore is around Christmas time, so I guess I have to stock up, or start buying the 30 dolla stuff on line LOL

Maybe some of that Sorbolene JCB sells

:scratch: Shaving "soap" isn't soap. The OP is either reeling in limbo or has wandered off to seek new horizons.

Richard he's a young man with a young woman. I'm pretty sure we can all kinda remember what he might be prioritizing in his life.