The Beauty of Dead Pickles

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I order ink, and hot sauce, on occasion Soy or Hoisin stuff…from a variety of vendors. Then they put a shipping tag on it and into the system it goes. Maybe half a dozen times something has broken or leaked during that shipping. Most recently UPS left me a 50 ml glass bottle of permanent black ink. It ultimately leaked a nice pool of ink onto my front porch. It boggles me. How can they possibly think it’s OK to deliver that? Then try and return it to get your money back or your item replaced. Since you don’t have anything you can return, it’s a real mess. The ink thing took me four weeks to resolve. Even when I just put the entire mailing envelope they sent into a huge Ziploc bag and put that inside another one at the UPS store, they didn’t want to accept it but ultimately did actually allow it to be mailed Grrrrrrrrrrr.

All this goes to give some background and explain why I was laughing so very hard a few days ago after getting a message from Amazon that they were so very sorry one of my orders had met with a problem during shipping and they would not be able to fulfill it and so were canceling and giving me a refund. It was a giant bottle of Nally’s dill pickles (46 ounces)! So, maybe if I am insensitive for finding that, so damn funny. Then again, maybe I’m not.

IMG_7396.jpeg

I don't care for sweet pickles, but I love me a good dill, especially with a peanut butter sandwich. When I was a kid, I remember seeing a news piece on the pickle district in NYC. Made my childhood bucket list...before I knew it was such a list thing. One of the many things I'd like to someday try my hand at. I know it isn't that difficult, but I've had quite a few homemade pickles that were just so-so.

That ink on the porch thing sounds like a nightmare. I wouldn't be happy (duh).

My wife makes pickles, from cucumbers grown in our garden. We still have lots from last year, and even still some from longer ago than that, so no pickling this year. Hers taste better than anything from the store.

Now you've got me craving pickles Blackhorse and my local store has just shut.

Will have to go raid the cupboard, sure I saw a jar there earlier this week.

A few years ago a more trusting self ordered a small cast iron wood burning stove for the backyard sip and puff. It arrived from the mysterious Far East in approximately 200 more pieces than it should have. Apologies were made and i lugged it back to the shipper and awaited the replacement which arrived about a month later with all the legs snapped off. At this point both the vendor and myself decided this was not going to happen and refunds were made and we parted ways. Moral of the story: Don't try to ship cheap cast iron half way around the globe third class.

Dont worry BH at least you can account for your stains on your porch hahah I love the pickles yum yum I do a good pickled chilli onion but I cant find them anymore the little ones ohhh well first world problems lol