The Book of Pipes and Tobacco, by Carl Ehwa Jr.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Scanlan

Reaction score
51R6rzE9sNL._SL500_.jpg

This is the book that got me interested in pipes. We were on a family vacation in British Columbia to see a relative's wedding, and my dad found this book at a bookstore. Knowing I liked smoking cigars, he offered to buy it for me. I read it on the way home and went and bought a pipe as soon as we got back in town. That was in 2009, and I've been smoking a pipe ever since. Has anyone else read this book? It's got a beautiful chapter on meerschaums.

Had mine for eons. Grand reading with superb illustrations. Thanks for reminding me I haven't "revisited" this tome in a while!! FTRPLT

View attachment 12167
This is the book that got me interested in pipes. We were on a family vacation in British Columbia to see a relative's wedding, and my dad found this book at a bookstore. Knowing I liked smoking cigars, he offered to buy it for me. I read it on the way home and went and bought a pipe as soon as we got back in town. That was in 2009, and I've been smoking a pipe ever since. Has anyone else read this book? It's got a beautiful chapter on meerschaums.
I skimmed my copy but I thought the Hacker books were more interesting.
According to the late Dunhill authority John Loring, take Hacker with a grain of salt. John published an essay in which he pointed out a couple dozen points of misinformation in Hacker's first book.

I have a signed copy of Hacker's book also, but frankly I probably got more out of these three little paperbacks than either of those. I can't begin to think how long I've owned them; no color illustrations but a lot of helpful information.

fXNWEZql.jpg