The challenges of smoking in San Francisco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipePuffer

Reaction score
I moved from the south to San Francisco for work in June and pipe smoking hasn't been the same since. Smoking at home is a no go and I rarely use my car anymore so smoking while driving is out too.

Smoking in indoors and outdoors public spaces is banned pretty much anywhere in the city except while standing at the curb (if at least 25 feet from any door or window). That's where you'll find the cigarette smokers. I can't imagine smoking a pipe or cigar this way, so I went looking for alternatives.

I had found a nice B&M downtown called Grant's Pipe Shop which had been granted one of the rare exemption for indoors smoking in the city. It was a nice shop, with a small smoking lounge and a decent selection of pipes and tobaccos. It unfortunately closed last month leaving me scrambling to find another place where I can smoke in peace. I found a private building with a nice courtyard designated as a smoking area. It is very close to home, which is great, and has benches, ashtrays, and somewhat of a pleasant view of the bay. It's however very windy most days. Furthermore, a lot of non-smokers pass through this courtyard and often complain loudly about the smoke or the smell, which is annoying. So I am down to smoking maybe once a week. There are a few B&Ms with smoking lounges in the Bay area, but there are just too far to be viable, everyday options for me.

Still, I am not giving up. :D

I used to live in Daly City years ago. I was still there when the ban on smoking in bars was passed back in '98. I can't imagine what it's like now. I was smoke free for most of my time in SF so it never really affected me personally.

It seems like the B&Ms are the only place you can smoke anymore. The modern version of the opium den. :evil:

If it's daytime, Golden Gate Park for a nice stroll. Nary a problem, at least last time I did it.

I watched a cop literally pass by a bunch of burn-outs smoking weed to chastise some poor girl smoking a clove on the sidewalk.

San Francisco--great place to visit, never want to live there. Did that in my car off and on for a couple of years. :lol:

8)

Yeah, Grant's closed down. It sucks, because I hadn't gotten the chance to visit.

Being the outdoorsy type, even the most urban (or urbane) have refuge from the prying eyes, ears and noses of the goosestepping antis, and sometimes a modest taxi ride, hike, or walk to areas with less people will reward a person with a great spot to sit for an hour or two. A beach, a nature reserve, a park, etc. I often pack a light lunch, and make a day out of it. People = problems--the majority outweigh the few.

Some might look at that as defeatist, that I should take a stand for personal rights. Okay, that's fine. Sometimes, though, I need my cake and to eat it, too. So I can't go sit at a cafe with a cup of joe and smoke a pipe. I pity the people who can't make it beyond the fought-over grounds to blaze new trails, because some of my favorite, lonesome spots, filled with beauty and away from finger-wagging, have been my reward.

8)

gravel":a9qpflyy said:
Grant's closed? :(
Sadly yes, they were kicked out by their landlord. Last I heard, they are becoming an online-only retailer.

PipePuffer":acibxmyb said:
Sadly yes, they were kicked out by their landlord. Last I heard, they are becoming an online-only retailer.
That explains the experience I had there back in September.

Nice day, walked 3 miles to Grants from the Mission District where my wife and I were staying. Got to Grants and there was a really strange feel to the place. The owner seemed really down, the pipe tobacco selection was very minimal and there was a lot of empty real state in the humidor. Reminded me a lot of when my favorite Tinder Box in my home town was getting ready to close.

Anyway, really sad to hear this. :(

The Sactown Tinder Box got my business a few times in the mid 90s when I was passing through to the bay. I was also saddened by its departure.

Unless you hate tobacco, it's never a good thing when a shop like that closes down.

Fortunately, the Tinder Box here is alive and well. For now. And Sac has Tobacco Road. The Grant's situation is truly sad. Sounds like cronies got together and pressured...can't have a zit on an otherwise perfect face in forced Utopia.

8)

I used to live in sf in the 1997-1999 period. Sherlocks haven was still around then, and there was a bar that was owned by its employees on Montgomery street ( I believe) where you could still smoke. Nowadays when I visit sf, I find pipe smoking there nearly impossible. The scary thing is...new York city is almost as bad, with the smoking ban in Central Park and a number of other parks. I'm in the boston area now, and they banned smoking in the common--- which is adjacent to the peretti shop. The last refuge for me is my front porch or garage in the winter

I can't imagine not being able to smoke in my home. At worst, you could sit next to a weak exhaust fan or something. I never cared much for smoking in public anyhow. For sport, I do like to walk around with an unlit cigar, just to get a rise out of the hair-trigger cretins. Doesn't happen as often as I like, though. Lots of dirty looks, which can make my day worthwhile, absent anything else productive.

I can't imagine you not being able to smoke on your own porch and if it ever came to that here I'd smoke anyway, screw them! As far as others complaining when I'm in a designated area for smoking or when I KNOW it not affecting there quality of life, I'll puff just the more and tell them "if they don't like the heat to get out of the kitchen". These fricken smoking Nazi's are probably one of the most self-centered, egotistical, sacks of worthless skin there are. They'll get double barrels if they ever step on my property.

That sucks. Maybe find a neighbor that smokes inside and get closer to them so you can go visit a light up.

A week ago, I was in nantucket for the weekend. Whenever I go there, I ride the public buses to get around bc it costs a small fortune to get your car on the Island. I was on a pretty full bus at a stop when a young guy, maybe 20 years old, got on. He has a cigar in his hand that was clearly just snuffed out. Definately unlit. He smelled of cigar smoke but again his cigar was unlit. Three people on the bus literally starting pretending to be coughing up a lung, and one older women said something like " you can't bring that disgusting cigar on this bus....blah blah blah"

It was like he had a communicable disease that was terminal. I was outraged. I told him that I liked the aroma and asked him about the brand etc.

Those people ought to be ashamed of themselves, belittling a complete stranger in public. It is just wrong. But of course, I'm sure they were proud of themselves

Richard Burley":3n5uboig said:
Cartaphilus":3n5uboig said:
They'll get double barrels if they ever step on my property.
I'd do it in a heartbeat, except that smoking in prison is a bitch.
Where I live it is perfectly legal to chase anyone off your property with any means necessary.
I would not pull a trigger unless they gave me a good reason but, I also won't give them
a chance to.

gkhanna74":qys869b7 said:
A week ago, I was in nantucket for the weekend. Whenever I go there, I ride the public buses to get around bc it costs a small fortune to get your car on the Island. I was on a pretty full  bus at a stop when a young guy, maybe 20 years old, got on. He has a cigar in his hand that was clearly just snuffed out. Definately unlit. He smelled of cigar smoke but again his cigar was unlit. Three people on the bus literally starting pretending to be coughing up a lung, and one older women said something like " you can't bring that disgusting cigar on this bus....blah blah blah"

It was like he had a communicable disease that was terminal. I was outraged. I told him that I liked the aroma and asked him about the brand etc.

Those people ought to be ashamed of themselves, belittling a complete stranger in public. It is just wrong. But of course, I'm sure they were proud of themselves
I imagine if he had instead of brought a snuffed cigar aboard, had farted or maybe even had strong body odor, there wouldn't have been one word out of anyone, except for they might have gotten off the bus sooner then they had wanted.  ;) 
There's an idea, next time someone complains of your smelly pipe or cigar, Fart and ask them if that clears it up for'em.  ;) 

is your 'home' a private home or a rental?

there seems to be a Golden Gate Pipe Club.. run out of a pace by the name of Telford's Pipe & Cigar. they also seem to have a smoking lounge. might be worth the trip to pick up some recon for smoking areas.

Cartaphilus":l1blka3q said:
gkhanna74":l1blka3q said:
A week ago, I was in nantucket for the weekend. Whenever I go there, I ride the public buses to get around bc it costs a small fortune to get your car on the Island. I was on a pretty full  bus at a stop when a young guy, maybe 20 years old, got on. He has a cigar in his hand that was clearly just snuffed out. Definately unlit. He smelled of cigar smoke but again his cigar was unlit. Three people on the bus literally starting pretending to be coughing up a lung, and one older women said something like " you can't bring that disgusting cigar on this bus....blah blah blah"

I imagine if he had instead of brought a snuffed cigar aboard, had farted or maybe even had strong body odor, there wouldn't have been one word out of anyone, except for they might have gotten off the bus sooner then they had wanted.  ;) 
There's an idea, next time someone complains of your smelly pipe or cigar, Fart and ask them if that clears it up for'em.  ;) 

If only...on command. What a fantastic "tool" to have at your disposal.

I'm with you, Ron.

I'm actually going to be in sf on Tuesday to see an old buddy whose wife cheated on him about two weeks ago ( he is living on another buddy of mine's couch). Long story, but he caught her red handed. I'm just glad he didn't kill the guy. If anyone knows of a place to smoke in sf, let me know