The Franck Method

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopstix

Reaction score
A couple of years ago this was a hot topic on the pipe boards. Do any of you use this method? As you will recall, Achim's recommendation was to use a torch lighter (in addition to the whole stuffing the pipe thing). I tried the packing method (sans torch lighter) a couple of times and it worked ok but was kinda messy and too complicated so I went back to the old three layer method. I never had the courage to use a torch on one of my pipes. What about y'all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMtHOAiO8CI&feature=related

For a Ribbon cut/Rubbed out mixture I prefer the air pocket method.

I've used the Franck packing method at times, and while there's nothing wrong with it, I'm convinced it produces a bowl that isn't substantially different from a properly-done three-layer pack. Franck is just different way to make sure you don't pack the bottom layer too tight. My guess is that people who report a quantum leap in their smoking enjoyment are simply reaping the benefits of at last being very careful each time they fill the bowl... and that's just fine, glad they found their joy.

As for a torch, I don't even own one, but I'd never put near a briar. The flame is 3-4 times as hot as a match... regardless of the damage it will or won't cause wood, it's going to do something to the flavor of the tobacco. (A Passion for Pipes had a teriffic article about this a while ago, linked for your reading pleasure.)

I use a very complicated methed, one that has taken years to perfect and which only a master piper will ever even dare attempt. Its called 'Stuff n Puff'... Fill your pipe and set the tobacco on fire...lol

Thanks for the link Doc M, I should have known that Neill had researched this topic.

I use a modified Frank method, sort of a gravity fill with a tighter cap, but it is probably the least structured, sloppiest Frank method available, and close to a stuff and puff. I like it because the final product is less apt to let loose ash on me when I am playing with my watch chain or adjusting my top hat, or both. I think there is some value to the Frank method, but like most things the value is somewhat inflated.

I use Puros' method, occassionally even being so crass as to dip my pipe into a bag of tobacco and stuff it full.

I never got the hang of the Franck method, but being basically a one-handed person I probably never got close to the correct form to pull it off. Also, I believe I smoke my tobaccos dryer than would allow the Franck method, as it doesn't pinch together or stay together very well.

For my "cubed" flakes, (most of what I smoke) I use a basic gravity feed with a light press on the very top to get it below the rim. For shags and wild cuts, I use puros-bran's sophisticated method.

Natch

To me, Frank's method just turned something simple and quick into something much more laborious and complicated. But many claim that it helped them, so it may be worth a try for those having trouble filling the pipe.

use Franck rarely but find it works fine - three layer more often, stuff and puff or gravity fill most often :)

never a torch for me - never did like those things - way too hot.

Twas gravity fill that taught me the most important lesson - an infrequent and light touch on the tamper, only crushing ash, is key.

I too have experimented with the Franck method, but found it too complicated to stick with and went back to 3-layer or stuff and puff. It worked well enough when I felt like dealing with it, but not vastly superior to a good pack with other methods.

-Andrew

I stick with the three layer method for cuts and fold & stuff for flakes. The Frank Method seems to be a bit complicated and I have never used a torch on my pipes :rendeer:

Sasquatch I'm glad I'm not the only one who 'occassionally' dips a pipe into a bag. I recently returned from a road trip and took two pouches and a tupperware that came from my Secret Santa. Probably dipped 7-10 bowls a day. Might have been a modified 3 layer pack since it usually takes three sccops to get a good fill.

As to a torch - I like to use a cantankerous Colibri with a torch like flame for the first light. I only do it when I am sitting around and can control the flame - rather than driving golfing or fishing. I find that i get a better first light that way. After that it is my old Zippo.

I used to use the Franck method pretty often. Any other way I just couldn't really do correctly, and the Franck method the result was consistent and hardly ever too tight. Now I mostly stuff-n-puff or dip into a bag, tamping a little as I scoop to get a good amount.

Count me in as a SNP (stuffer n puffer)(Should someone run a survey?). Never a torch, I find nowadays I'm using matches more often, otherwise I use a zippo pipe lighter... And never at Dusk :) .

I've tried it in the past and even gave a demonstration of the technique to members of my pipe club a few years ago. Now a days I smoke flakes exclusively. I cut them into 1" squares and sorta roll/fold them into the bowl leaving air at the bottom and a tight fit (like a cork in a bottle of wine) at the top. It's sorta my own version of Franck method and seems to work best for me...

Danish_Pipe_Guy":8tfhh14r said:
work best for me...
Dock summed it up right there.
It's the same as what pipe or baccy to smoke; whatever floats your boat.

If I recall correctly, the "Franck Method" was developed for his competition smoking, the goal being to achieve the longest smoke possible. I found the method good for this purpose, to ensure a long smoke on fine cuts of tobacco and the air pocket in the bottom of the bowl seems to prevent moisture in the bowl.

For flakes, which I prefer, I cube the flakes or fold them to fit the bowl and have found this gives a very pleasant and flavorful smoke. This also gives a smoking time of about 1 hour+/- in a medium sized bowl, which works out very well for me. :lol!:

Most of the tobacco I smoke is in a short ribbon form or a plug/cube cut and I just gravity fill with and tap the side of the bowl to make sure that it reaches the bottom. Then finish it with a light tamp. The only exception is Exhausted Rooster and I rub it out until I can gravity fill the bowl.