"The Ketchup Smell" - McClelland Red Va Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monbla256":24d9sq5j said:
Thomas Tkach":24d9sq5j said:
Thanks! I was reminded of this thread by a post on another forum where a member said McCranie's Red Flake and 5100 have nothing in common.
They don't. Red Flake is a flake and 5100 RC is a ribbon cut. Now McCranie's Red Ribbon and McC's 5100 RC are basicaly one and the same :twisted: :twisted:
They have a lot in common: both are done by McClelland, both are VAs, both are Red VAs, and if you read this thread, both are the SAME red VA leaf. The only differences are tinned vs. bulk, flake vs. ribbon, and single vintage vs. blended vintage (maybe).

Excerpt from Red Cake is not Red Ribbon - A Message from the Horses Mouth

My email to them

Good morning,I have a couple of question about the wonderful Red Ribbon 2008. To start, I just want you to know that I sing it's praises. But, after a conversation on the pipesmagazine forums, I wanted to clarify a few rumors. Are all of the 2008 Red Ribbon tinned at the same time, or different times? Meaning, should I be marking dates on the tin when they arrive to tell the difference in age?And, is this Virginia the same as McClelland's 5100 Red Cake. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Again kudos on this wonderful blend.

Their reply

Michael,Good questions. Glad you enjoy Red Ribbon. Depending on the size of the crop and other factors, there may be more than one tinning. However, the date of that tinning is on the bottom of the can already.Your next question gets to the heart of what makes Red Ribbon unique. Tobacco is influenced by the location, soil, climate, and conditions. Each year produces different characteristics in tobacco. Therefore, McClelland 5100 is a constant blend of several years to keep it consistent year-in year-out. It is a straight Virginia but one that is a mixture of crops over time. Red Ribbon is from a single crop. The result is a deep natural Virginia sweetness that no blend of crops can achieve. Similar to single-malt versus blended Scotch.

Let us know if this raises any other questions.

Thanks
Todd

leacha":lgktzucc said:
Excerpt from Red Cake is not Red Ribbon - A Message from the Horses Mouth

My email to them

Good morning,I have a couple of question about the wonderful Red Ribbon 2008. To start, I just want you to know that I sing it's praises. But, after a conversation on the pipesmagazine forums, I wanted to clarify a few rumors. Are all of the 2008 Red Ribbon tinned at the same time, or different times? Meaning, should I be marking dates on the tin when they arrive to tell the difference in age?And, is this Virginia the same as McClelland's 5100 Red Cake. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Again kudos on this wonderful blend.

Their reply

Michael,Good questions. Glad you enjoy Red Ribbon. Depending on the size of the crop and other factors, there may be more than one tinning. However, the date of that tinning is on the bottom of the can already.Your next question gets to the heart of what makes Red Ribbon unique. Tobacco is influenced by the location, soil, climate, and conditions. Each year produces different characteristics in tobacco. Therefore, McClelland 5100 is a constant blend of several years to keep it consistent year-in year-out. It is a straight Virginia but one that is a mixture of crops over time. Red Ribbon is from a single crop. The result is a deep natural Virginia sweetness that no blend of crops can achieve. Similar to single-malt versus blended Scotch.

Let us know if this raises any other questions.

Thanks
Todd
Thanks for the confirmation on that!

The comparison to single-malt scotch is not right. Single Malt refers to the malt being processed and distilled from a single distillery, but is often blended with different batches over the years to maintain a consistent flavor--just like 5100. Single Cask is like the McCranies--it's either form one actual barrel or multiple barrels of the same batch aged together. Blended Scotch is a blend of malts from different distilleries to get a bit of different flavors.

Cf. wikipedia:
The age statement on a bottle of single malt whisky is the age of the youngest malt in the mix, as commonly the whiskies of several years are mixed in a vat to create a more consistent house style. On occasion, the product of a single cask of whisky is bottled without being vatted with other casks, and released as a "Single Cask" offering. However, it is not always clear what the term "single cask" refers to. At least some producers release vattings of multiple barrels that have been matured together for one final period in a larger single cask as "single cask" whisky.[5]
The upshot is that they are both using the same leaf, but from different years (single or blended). There's obviously a difference (one year's crop may be exceptionally good or bad or just different) but they should be pretty close. One year of RR may be on the sweeter end of the spectrum of the RC blend, another year might be on the less sweet end, and some years may be right in the middle and hard to discern any difference between RR and RC.

gravel":tufniyvr said:
Two horses. Two mouths. Two answers.
But they're not two answers, are they? Scottie noted they're the same leaf. The link notes they're different vintages. These seem to be two sides of the same coin. Scottie's focusing on the similarity of leaf source, link is focusing on the difference of crop year. I don't think there's a contradiction.

Great thread! 5100 and McCranie's Red Ribbon are two of my favorite tobaccos and I smoke them a lot. I wouldn't expect no difference between the two though. I don't think they are an equal substitution. In my very humble opinion, McCranie's is a top shelf version of 5100. I like it better than 5100. To me, it seems more fresh and more sweet. A lot of that I would contribute to handling and the tinning process.

I'm sat reading this thread smoking 5100 in a Growley Rhodie. Absolutely splendid smoke on all counts. Nothing more to add I'm afraid fellow BoB ers. Just that it's a rather splendid smoke. :cheers:

It really doesn't matter as they are both made by McClellend and we ALL know that they pour ketchup on EVERYTHING they blend :twisted: :twisted:  Just like the Brits use Old lady's Soap on ALL their Va's !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":o9d31and said:
It really doesn't matter as they are both made by McClellend and we ALL know that they pour ketchup on EVERYTHING they blend :twisted: :twisted:  Just like the Brits use Old lady's Soap on ALL their Va's !! :twisted: :twisted:
You forget to add: ...and Latakia is cured over smoldering camel dung.

Kapnismologist":rwnhgcv4 said:
monbla256":rwnhgcv4 said:
And they use Corinthian Leather to cure Kentucky's and Burley's with :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kapnismologist":0oq47587 said:
monbla256":0oq47587 said:
Now now chaps!

Stick":7ti6n5cc said:
Kapnismologist":7ti6n5cc said:
monbla256":7ti6n5cc said:
Now now chaps!

Right? Why can't we all get along?

There, there, it'll be alright... Nothing wrong with different tastes, otherwise we'd all be stuck with vanilla ice cream and that would be the end of it, right?

Ozark Wizard":u9yo7qun said:
Stick":u9yo7qun said:
Kapnismologist":u9yo7qun said:
monbla256":u9yo7qun said:
Now now chaps!

Right? Why can't we all get along?

There, there, it'll be alright... Nothing wrong with different tastes, otherwise we'd all be stuck with vanilla ice cream and that would be the end of it, right?
Ya, but I think we've beat this one to the nth degree!

:beatingdeadhorseemoticon:

Cheers,

RR

This is what I get for trying to help all you reprobates!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

scotties22":4v1zpd21 said:
This is what I get for trying to help all you reprobates!!!
A lost cause from the start in any case.

(In all honestly though, thanks; very informative stuff here).

Shoot, I had to go back to top of this thread to grasp the original subject!!! A few remarks on subject...I don't/never have gotten the "Ketchup/Katsup" aroma thing!! At 68 I guess my smeller is shot; the aroma thing has never stood out to me. Next...say what you will, the McCranie's Red Ribbon/Flake is fine 'baccy. Yesterday, I popped my last 2008 tin (2000 crop) of Red Ribbon. Wowzah, 7-yr-old ginny weed makes for some fine smokin'!!! Smooth, creamy, lushly soft-tasting, this is some darn good stuff!!! I still have several tins of the '08 Flake, but no more Ribbon :( :( FTRPLT

Great thread, but every time I think it's safe to drink something without shooting it out my nose, along comes Ron!!!
You sir, are a safety hazard.

Awesome Skynrd reference BTW.