The Originals...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
Of the first 50 members:
8 have been on BoB this year.
13 have been on BoB in the past 12 months.
4 I know to be dead,

Interesting. With a quick look at the list I can say I have met 10 of them at one time or another, 4 of them that I've at least said hi to at a show in the last year. :shock:

Dave, you are an original.. But you are on page two and I can't count to ten flipping pages. Lol.

Yeah, I've been enjoying pipe/cigar message boards since '87, 10 years before I went to my first show. We've come a long way but the boards and hobby have always been a revolving door. :shock:

OK, so that begs the question - who were the 50 original members? And I mean here on BoB and not the Knox forum, although that would be interesting as well. There's been many references to it since I joined in '11.

Frankly it would be interesting (to me, anyways) to learn more about the board and it's development. Can someone provide a history?

Cheers,

RR

If you go to memberlist>sort by:registration date>order:ascending
It will show you who joined when, etc etc.

Long, Long ago in a cyberspace far, far, away there was a bored board that became no more. In her dying throws a not so bored board sprang from her thighs half grown and became BoB. BoB has grown large, and grown small, with many members coming and going, until sometimes BoB doesn't look like BoB at all, but BoB is BoB regardless of how different the unbored board that sprang from the thighs of the bored board may look. And so it was and so it is, the end, etc etc.

puros_bran":m32pf259 said:
If you go to memberlist>sort by:registration date>order:ascending
It will show you who joined when, etc etc.

Long, Long ago in a cyberspace far, far, away there was a bored board that became no more. In her dying throws a not so bored board sprang from her thighs half grown and became BoB. BoB has grown large, and grown small, with many members coming and going, until sometimes BoB doesn't look like BoB at all, but BoB is BoB regardless of how different the unbored board that sprang from the thighs of the bored board may look. And so it was and so it is, the end, etc etc.
Thanks Brandon. Just as you were posting this, I discovered the memberlist thing and had a look for myself. very interesting to see who is still here after all these years.

Live long and prosper BoB!

live-long-and-prosper.jpg

Cheers,

RR

If you want a semi-serious not a history history....

Knox Cigar ran a forum that was mostly Pipers. When dreams of expansion exceeded reality Knox Cigar got stupid and ruined themselves. A couple of years before they realized it was over (right before they made the embarrassing restaurant tobacconist or whatever stupid crap that was) they pulled the plug on a vibrant Internet community of mostly like minded individuals.. J Huggie raced into Internet infamy and created BoB as a safe haven for the like minded until such time as we could figure out where to go. He began networking us back together.. Find someone, then that someone find a couple someone. The Knox board flickered back on and off for another 6 months or so before it finally died but it was horribly unreliable during that time and we basically just stayed here. Fast forward 9 years and here we are, still in this glorious life boat, without a clue where to go or how to get there.

Pretty much what PB said...

Then after a while Tweeter, Instagranny, BookFace, and so forth began to grind away the threaded forum concept the same way threaded forums killed off the Usenet BB groups.

And here we are.  :lol:

(PS ---  My official join date doesn't show in the first 50, but it actually is.  Among the first dozen, actually.  For reasons unrelated to the forum itself, my account was "re-booted" a couple weeks after the initial sign-up wave had passed.)

Some really good pipemakers could be found in the chat room at the Knox board. 

I was thinking about Regor (Roger) again the other day.

Is Chuck still alive Carlos? Or did you quit keeping up with him?

I really enjoyed popping in on yalls Saturday morning chats when I was home.

I sent him a message at Christmas and never heard back.  Seemed to have lost touch.  No clue what he is doing.

A goodly number of this group started off on the JR Cigar board, way back when. Then we migrated to the Knox Cigar board; thence to this hallowed place of pipery!! I truly miss a whole bunch of folks who used to post here frequently. Lots of great knowledge, stories, experiences, etc. mixed in with many an outright lie :suspect: :p !! :cheers: FTRPLT

It was December 2007. TJ's Smoker had happened in May of that same year, and fraternal spirit on the KCC board was running high, notwithstanding the usual aberrations engendered by the more...er, sociopathic members.

In fact, that was part of the problem. Administration of the KCC board was beginning to fall apart, and some farts crept into the living space. Then Jason came to the rescue with BoB, and (for a while), we flourished here.

I remember what it was like. I suppose that in itself is something of a non-theological miracle.  :mrgreen:

72308.png

Fighter Pilot. Knox was more than JRR. Many of the Stokers forum moved there after they locked that place up. There was one more forum that moved to Knox but I forget the things name at the time.

I ended up at Knox because of Yarnie. I stayed because I liked Natch, and TJ, and LL, and Carlos, Vito, and the poster currently known as Puff Daddy,JT, eggman, mikem, pipetongue, just pipes,and a whole host of others.

Truth is LL is right.. Facebook has just about killed off forums. Those of us still here are relics of a bygone electronic era..lol.

I remember posting on here (a lot) with my blackberry (pre-iPhone days). I was something else..lol. Now I look back at what I was doing and wonder how I ever did it on those slow speeds and that little cramped keyboard. Right now I'm laying in bed posting with my iPad remembering when I argued with puffdaddy that iPads would never sell.. If he replies Mr Apple PDiddy will be on his android device. How times change. Lol.

In real life I don't guess 10years is really all that long a time.. In electronic years it's forever.

puros_bran":l2hys3a6 said:
Fighter Pilot.  Knox was more than JRR. Many of the Stokers forum moved there after they locked that place up. There was one more forum that moved to Knox but I forget the things name at the time.

I ended up at Knox because of Yarnie. I stayed because I liked Natch, and TJ, and LL, and Carlos, Vito, and the poster currently known as Puff Daddy,JT, eggman, mikem, pipetongue, just pipes,and a whole host of others.  

Truth is LL is right.. Facebook has just about killed off forums. Those of us still here are relics of a bygone electronic era..lol.

I remember posting on here (a lot) with my blackberry (pre-iPhone days). I was something else..lol. Now I look back at what I was doing and wonder how I ever did it on those slow speeds and that little cramped keyboard.  Right now I'm laying in bed posting with my iPad remembering when I argued with puffdaddy that iPads would never sell.. If he replies Mr Apple PDiddy will be on his android device. How times change. Lol.  

In real life I don't guess 10years is really all that long a time.. In electronic years it's forever.
True, true, true. There were other "boards" that filtered into JR; thence to Knox. My meager point was that some of us have been "boarding" one hell of a long time :) I don't FB much at all. Didn't even realize there were pipe "boards" on FB!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Carlos":tvfi2if1 said:
What happened to Eggy?

What about gospelman (Mike)? So many friends from the Knox board have vanished.  :cry:

newjok12.png