The pipe of the future

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogbert

Reaction score
If you have looked on ebay for pipes i am sure you have come across some of this guy's listings for his over the top futuristic designs.

One such example

like many of you i thought that surely these were overpriced and couldn't possibly have any value as practical smokers.

I came across some (two) reviews of these pipes on youtube, and they seem to be getting mostly positive criticisms.
I figured i would post them here to see what people think.
I understand that these pipes have a very limited aesthetic appeal to most people of the pipe smoking world, and that is completely reasonable. I am just shocked that they(the pipes) might actually be as amazing as they claim they are!

reviews:
part 3 of 3 part unboxing/smoking video

another review

...nice one, Weiss: I managed to delete my own post accidentally, even hit "yes" to confirm the mistake. I'm on a roll today!

Anyhow, those wire-frame pipes have popped up a few times around here, and the general consensus was "overpriced, impractical, but nice artistry."

That's how I recall it, and agree. They try and hype up their own product on eBay with shill buys, bids and reviews that are obvious, but--it's eBay. You come to expect such things and not be like a sheep to slaughter. :p

As for the videos you posted, I didn't see them being the same pipes as you found on eBay, but heck, if they're enjoying themselves, who am I to argue with quasi-hipsters in bliss? 8)

Kyle Weiss":a3a7q3ki said:
They try and hype up their own product on eBay with shill buys, bids and reviews that are obvious, but--it's eBay.
i initially thought this, but it doesn't add up because the producer/seller of the pipes is from Estonia and, based on his product descriptions, is not quite proficient at writing in english. a bunch of the feedback on ebay that is positive is written proficiently.

also, i believe the pipes in the videos are his "artificial ceramic" pipes. they house the same bowl/condenser apparatus but are covered with polymer clay. he has one for sale at the moment.

i emailed him with a few questions i had, and i will share that info when i get it.

we will see how his english skills hold up

Zeno Marx":oe049wbi said:
Simple Man":oe049wbi said:
It looks very steam-punk
great call. exactly what it looks like.
That's the appeal the "pipe of the future" had for me, but as a novelty, this seems a bit bolder...

P1150066.jpg

...in any case, I hope for all the money, the Estonian wire pipes are all that they're touting.

Kyle Weiss":i7dglbby said:
Zeno Marx":i7dglbby said:
Simple Man":i7dglbby said:
It looks very steam-punk
That's the appeal the "pipe of the future" had for me, but as a novelty, this seems a bit bolder...

P1150066.jpg

...in any case, I hope for all the money, the Estonian wire pipes are all that they're touting.
THAT one comes with it's own holder !! It woulddo a hell-uva # on ones coat pocket if you carried it with you !! :p And the thought of smoking my fave VaPer and eng/Bal/Lat blends out of stainless steel sends shivers down my spine !! How many ways can you say "tongue bite " :roll:

Aside from those issues such as tongue bite, I enjoy the smell of the tobacco and the way that the briar affects it and the warm briar in my hand as well as the rest of the appeals to the senses but none of those are present with those pipes and it would just cheapen the smoke. Not only are those things I would not sacrifice, but also at the current prices of tobacco I am not willing to do that.

Yeah that gear pipe was done by Nathan King. He does a Google+ Hangout every night. Great guy. That particular pipe actually may end up in a movie.

Kyle Weiss":jp2vldnx said:
Zeno Marx":jp2vldnx said:
Simple Man":jp2vldnx said:
It looks very steam-punk

P1150066.jpg

This pipe really grinds my gears.

Hey everyone! I made the pipe above (Gear-Punk) and wanted to note, the chamber is not stainless. It is the briar you see, I just added an anti-char ring of aircraft grade 7075 T6 aluminum, retained by brass socket-head cap screws. This pipe was made for a [possible] upcoming movie: 'In Her Majesty's Shadow'. Thanks Geoff for the note about me!

The wooden gear pipe is cool I like unusual eclectic pipes, Now as to the VM&EM Pipes Pipe of the future eh perhaps, SS bowl smokes wet and cool amazing, astounding, perfect, as the guy in the video says, Sure it may do all those thing but its not briar.

If you could catch a fish every time you dropped a line in and that fish would be the exact same as the last fish how boring would that become? Even positive experiences become mundane if they are carbon copies of each other.

I like brier, I like things made of natural material, Older pipes were wood bowls, amber or bone stems, clays with reed stems, Meerschaum etc. "Natural materials". waxing nostalgic..

The bowl...,Briar born of the earth then hours of though and skill goes into shaping this raw form into a vessel to be admired and appreciated a testament to craftsmanship.

Tobacco born of the earth cultivated, harvested, much thought and skill used to make a blend which will be desired and appreciated by those who partake.

Now bring those together, Briar and Tobacco two gifts of nature given to man who through skill and passion combine the gifts and in return is rewarded with yet another gift the enjoyment of pipe smoking.

Sure I'm some will argue the metal pipe comes from nature as do the resin chemicals etc etc.. But if we wish to split hairs about where the resin chemicals come from I counter with "Nostalgia" one of the main enjoyment factors of pipe smoking for me I view a natural wooded pipe as a display of old world skill from a time long gone by. Where you can see a guy hand carving a pipe VS a chemist in a lab reading a MSDS trying not to get them on his skin or in his eye fearing the toxic effects.

Ok you guessed it I really am not a fan of the metal bowl pipes, to each their own the are just not for me. I like the wonder and mystery of the briar will it give me a good smoke? If I treat it right it will treat me right in return. Sounds like the metal bowl you can freight train it and no hot bowl, wet goop smokes dry seemingly a fool proof smoke.

I just don't like the ideal of metal, just like I don't like press board furniture, styro plates, plastic forks paper napkins, I like Briar I want a hand crafted heirloom not a tin can I recycle.. I guess the VM&EM Pipes are ok, I can appreciate the skill and artistic design I just like don't like living in a glass and steel world. I like the warmth of natural wood.

R.A.":el1uhie8 said:
I just don't like the ideal of metal, just like I don't like press board furniture, styro plates, plastic forks paper napkins, I like Briar I want a hand crafted heirloom not a tin can I recycle.. I guess the VM&EM Pipes are ok, I can appreciate the skill and artistic design I just like don't like living in a glass and steel world. I like the warmth of natural wood.
Me too. +1 :)

R.A., great sentiments--I've often mused at the pipe and its tobacco being a keen harmony of nature's craft melded with man's ingenuity, a given purpose for both, bringing two huge efforts (man/nature) into one place for our contemplation.

It isn't always about the pipe, it isn't always about the smoking, or the tobacco, it isn't any one thing--that's why the "natural" material pipes (and by that I mean "unrefined"--metal is natural) appeal to me--the balance seems to be in check, man and nature, when you have the right pipe. You could be in the biggest city and have a piece of the natural world, or be out in the woods and have a small piece of civilization.

On that note, smoke what makes ya happy. 8)

I am curious as to how a stainless bowl would cake if it would cake at all. Unless it were 316 grade stainless maybe, me thinks it would impart flavors. He doesn't say what grade.

Well, tobacco is going to leave a residue no matter what--whether this is considered "cake," I'm not sure. I imagine any "cake" on a stainless steel smoking surface would help with the imparting flavor (if "metal" is a flavor... :lol: ) problem, but how it would stick, build and act is anyone's guess. I know stainless steel can have a distinct smell to it when it isn't perfectly clean, mostly in regard to eating utensils, and I'm not a fan. Certain chemicals, organic or otherwise, can interfere with the metal's makeup and cause oxidation and this metallic fouling.

Perhaps there'd be care and procedure specific for it.