The rumors of my demise...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Kaplan":tor1qczg said:
Dang, Cart! Seems like whenever ex-wives come up, there’s always someone with a worse horror story. I feel sorry for the guy who had it worse than you.

Okay, I just re-read that LONG post and realized how godawful depressing it sounded all at once like that. That’s way out of character for me. Here’s a recent (pipe related) story of my new Yooper life that’s far more in keeping with my usual light-heartedness.
Last  November  I was hunting near the edge of Hiawatha National Forest with some of my late stepdad’s old buddies. By “hunting” I mean drinking in a nameless bar when our camp was running low on supplies. I had met these guys the previous season when drought and a virus had decimated the downstate deer heard. At that time, I had given each of them a corncob pipe and some tobacco. One of the guys, Cloise by name, still had his and pulled it out in the bar to ask me something about packing. I got Cloise sorted out by showing him with my own pipe. Then he did something shocking: he lit the pipe! (no indoor smoking in Michigan) When I pointed this out he just laughed and pointed to the old lady tending the bar, puffing away on a Virginia Slim. “If the Lansing governor wants to enforce Lansing law up here,” he said, “he’ll send up some Lansing cops to take care of it.”
What could I do at that point, besides light my own pipe?
So there we were, smoking pipes and drinking whiskey and telling lies about women in the time honored tradition of nameless bars everywhere. Suddenly, all conversation at the table stopped. Cloise and the other three guys were looking over my head, behind me. I turned in my chair, pipe in mouth, to find myself face-to-belt buckle with a long-haired Tribal Policeman pulling out his ticket book. The statewide smoking ban has been in effect for about three or four years now, but I honestly had no idea what the actual penalties were for violation. Just as I was worrying that he might confiscate my pipe, I realized that wasn’t a ticket book in his hand, but his WALLET.
With a voice like Graham Green he asked, “Hey, can any of you fellas break a fifty?”

I think I like it up here.
George, Your tale was not of self pity or whining it was just straight forward about how things are going in your life right now and how your dealing with it. I thought it was interesting and refreshing. And as for your last tale I have to ask, did you have to change your britches after that? I know my heart skipped a beat.  :mrgreen: 

George,
Glad to read that you are not demised (I think that's the past tense of demise). There are many new members, like me, who are looking forward to getting to know you and reading your posts.
Joyal

Glad to see your back GK. Missed your wit & humour around here.

Looks like your getting things sorted out your way with an awesome sounding therapy program. Never been to Michigan but the area your in sounds very laid back and just what you need for a little self healing.

Wow George... Just wow. Sounds like life handed you an all-you-can-eat buffet of misery in a very short time. Your reaction seems like the most logical one I can think of (even from my cozy suburban background). I've often wondered what it would be like to do as you did. All bad motivations aside, I envy you for having the fortitude to do it. I'm a believer in karmic balance personally, so I truly feel that you've got good things heading your way. All the best, brother.

Glad to see you back, George! For what it's worth, I really enjoyed reading your story. It sounds like life hit the reset button for you and you're starting over not only with fresh perspective but with something simpler. Good for you!

Pack your pipe and stick around.Good to see you are still kicking. :cheers: 

I have never met you George as I am a new member, but from reading your posts I think you would be an interesting beer drinking, pipe smoking partner. Good on ya for just throwing in the towel and heading north. I would have done the same thing.

The most tragic part of your tale is the loss of your cat. I have one that is my partner, 16 years old, and I dread the day that I lose her.

Welcome back George!! Great to see you around. Your story is amazing. Keep going strong brother and keep getting your health back!!!

George,

When I joined the forum you were one of the first to welcome me. You used the term "Sir" and for some reason that struck a chord with me. Of all that have left the forum since I became a member your absence was the hardest for me to cope with. I cannot begin to express my delight for your return. Welcome back my friend. Your well considered thoughts will again be appreciated and I'm sure your fantastic wit will soon have us all ROFLOAO.  :) 

AJ

George so glad to see you back! Sounds like a rough patch for sure. Glad to hear you're still kicking butt and taking names though.

Jim

Cartaphilus":oz11pk4n said:
And as for your last tale I have to ask, did you have to change your britches after that? I know my heart skipped a beat.  :mrgreen: 
Maybe just a little, but I’m getting to the age where I should expect that from time to time.  :oops:  We all had a good laugh about it after the cop left. We weren’t on Indian land, but law enforcement’s stretched pretty thin in these parts. Jurisdiction doesn’t count for much. Hell, even the DNR can pull you over for traffic violations. I guess no one’s made an official complaint about smoking in this particular bar, so the cop didn’t see a reason to do anything about it.  
To everyone who has welcomed me back and offered words of encouragement, a heart felt Thank You.
New guys, I look forward to getting to know you all.
Hawker, I imagine you’d be at home here. The UP is geographically separate from the rest of the state, and owes more of its laid back character to bordering Canada than it does to Michigan.
Dshpipes, it’s David, right? Like the new handle. Very professional, but you’ll always be the Uberman to me. ;) 
Coastie, pleased to meet you, sir. Somewhere around here there’s a portrait thread for BoB pets. Some pics of the late Talullah in there. I hope you’ll post some of your own.
Jefe, how’s the Lake down by you? They say Superior’s nearly 80% frozen over. It’s downright  erie. (pun intended) I might take you up on that offer; I think I could actually kill someone right now for a Gino’s East pizza.
A.J., what can I say, sir? I hope to someday be man enough to take a compliment from you without blushing. Thank you so much for your kind words. It’s good to see you posting regularly. I’ve always known you to be a man who speaks his mind, and with a mind worth hearing.
Everyone, thank you and bless you.
I assure you all, despite my setbacks I am doing well. I wish you all had the chance to live on your own terms like this. MisterE recently said something to me about an unrelated topic that rang true with my own life. He said it’s like boiling a frog; turn up the heat slowly enough and the frog will be cooked before he knows he’s in trouble. The way everything came at me all at once last spring was like tossing the frog into a boiling pot. I jumped the hell outa there! I’ve always been one to shoulder burdens. I accommodate. I compromise. This time I took a good look at he world and said, “No”.
No, I’m not playing your game. No, I’m not gonna worry about my 401K or padding my resume. No, I’m not gonna miss the things that were stolen from me. No, I’m not taking your pills that make me feel like someone I don’t know, and wouldn’t care to. No, I’m not grading my masculinity by the women in my past. No, I’m not gonna shave my beard for your stupid job interview.
So what’s on my resume now? What are my accomplishments? Let’s see now. Yesterday I picked three children up from school and helped them build an evil-looking snowman staring directly into their parent’s bedroom window. (I’m an excellent houseguest.)  :twisted:  Later, I had dinner with a green eyed woman who laughed at my stories, but wasn’t afraid to sass me about my downstate accent; a woman who’s good-night kiss lingered just a bit. That’s enough. That’s who I am now. That’s how I earned my evening pipe. Today It’ll be something different, but will be just as real, and it will be on my terms.

Amen

George, Sounds like you've figured it out and know what to do.
And the GREEN eyed woman sparks my imagination and makes my heart throb a bit.

George Kaplan":pz2jb99f said:
I assure you all, despite my setbacks I am doing well.
Indeed Sir !
I don't know you, but you certainly have my respect. Keep truckin'.

Just catching up after a few days away...

DAMN good to see you, GK! Glad to see your doing...er, "well" might not be the best word here...scratch that. Glad to see you're pushing on considering the circumstances. Seriously, the tale of your life since last spring reads like a case study in Murphy's Law. Sounds like you're turning the corner and headed for some better days.

But why are there no pics of the evil snowman?

:lol!:  Thank you, Ian. Unfortunately my camera, computer, and speargun were all stolen, so no more pics in every post, photoshop Monnbla Calimaris, or forced cob appreciation for the immediate future.

George Kaplan":gosheaqj said:
no more pics in every post, photoshop Monnbla Calimaris, or forced cob appreciation for the immediate future.
Maybe we can take up a collection to get a new Speargun for you, George.  

Sorry about your losses and all, but the camera and computer just aren't as important as Forced Cob Appreciation these days.   8)