The subtleties of Red Virginia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
I love red virginia's! I am currently smoking some 99 christmas cheer and getting in the zone each bowl. I taste subtlies in my red virginia's ranging from cherries to bananas. this 99 cc has a subtle taste of strawberry and loads of sugar! delicious. I remember Mccranies red flake from the 96 crop tasting like chocolate covered cherries and bananas. I find I like my Reds with no toppings, casing or added flavouring. I like them old and on the dry side. I find the older they get the more hints of flavouring I taste. so what do you taste in Your red virginia?

I love Red Virginias. I think my palate is lost on the subtleties. I don't try to over analyze a tobacco. I certainly want a bit of natural sweetness from Reds and just want it to make me say YUM!! If you want to try a good one than I recommend 'Old Red' ,one of Scotty's blends from pipesandcigars.com. It is ever so soft, smooth and tasty with absolutely no bite. This would definitely be one of my top candidates for a desert island smoke.

vaporfavour,

I have dozens and dozens of tins of Christmas Cheers, going back more than a decade. When all others are out, I will still have them, and you will trade all that you have for a mere crumb of two. Bwahahahahahha I rule the universe! :mrgreen:

But in the mean time I'll make myself another Manhatten and open a tin of McCC 2003, or perhaps 1997, no I think I'll make it 2000. Oh hell, I'll just open one of each year.

Natch

my dear Natch, I have 3 tins of Robert McConnells Red Virginia Supreme from the 1960's! yes, the 1960's! that's when it was actually made in Scotland, and it is so ridiculously good I wouldn't sell ONE of the tins for a thousand dollars! Save a tin of 99 or 2000 cc , wait oh, about 50 more years and then you'll have a good smoke! lol!

Depending on the particular red Va, I taste apricots, dried fruit, port wine, chocolate & cocoa.

vaperfavour":ermjo3nn said:
my dear Natch, I have 3 tins of Robert McConnells Red Virginia Supreme from the 1960's! yes, the 1960's! that's when it was actually made in Scotland, and it is so ridiculously good I wouldn't sell ONE of the tins for a thousand dollars! Save a tin of 99 or 2000 cc , wait oh, about 50 more years and then you'll have a good smoke! lol!
Isn't there some sort of law that prevents one from smoking tobacco older than they are? To keep legal, you best send that to me. :mrgreen: I wouldn't want my fellow BoB to get in trouble, you know. Oh, don't thank me, I'm just that considerate and caring kind of guy! :suspect:

I've got several tins of older Robert McConnells Vas, but nothing that old.

Natch

lol! they were not cheap, but its incredible tobacco! there was an opportunity to buy 5 tins, 2 have gone up in smoke and the other 3 i'll open eventually, but im saving for a special occasion. the mouthfeel of this ancient red was like cold satin and it was very high in vitamin n and it had that strange almost euphoric effect. I could take 2 or 3 puffs and I would have to put the pipe down because of the strange feeling it gave. the perique was nowhere to be found, but it was so good, who cares!

I suppose I should consider myself fortunate that I don't particularly like Virgina tobaccos.

vaperfavour":9xfef5aj said:
I could take 2 or 3 puffs and I would have to put the pipe down because of the strange feeling it gave.
You sure it wasn't moldy?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yep, no mold. just strong smooth, velvety red virginny! there was so much sugar it was like cotton candy. completely mouth filling and very satisfying.