This actually took me 30 minutes to do.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

Reaction score

Thats terrible aint it ? :D It was cold and rainin, and this kid I have apprenticing with me on weekends, calls after school because he saw me headin home, and wants to go fishin . So, I figured what the heck. I hauled him up to the beaver ponds. He caught 2, and I caught 4. (I caught the hogs :D ) But heck , that aint bad for 30 minutes of fishin in the wind and cold rain.

Heck man, i havent even caught that many fish in 30 years! :D

Looks great Dusty!

lickout.gif

Cheers,

RR

Nice tasty pile of breakfast you got there. 30 minutes?,,took ya long enuff,,, :lol!:

Ahhh, another "wasted" half an hour in our limited lives. You really should do something more productive with your time (re-do your taxes, join a super-pac, start your own church). :lol:

For all the problems and doom and gloom we see around us, life is really pretty good. Or at least, it's what we make it, and have you noticed how we tend to make it a little better when we load up our pipes?

Natch

Yes Sir ,Natch, I do notice.

Sometimes, when I get to chasin a pipe or a tobacco, I sort of forget "Why" I wanted to smoke a pipe.

The why is,, I was on a lifelong search to be content with myself and the world around me.
Most of that time, I didnt even know that "Content "was what I was looking for.
But it was there, in the back of my mind somewhere.

Chasin adventure didnt work, chasin alcohol didnt work,chasin women didnt work.
When I finally decided I was done chasin somethin that wasnt there, I started to feel it. That slight taste of "Being Content"

And, the whole time , the ONE person, that I thought was the most content person I had ever met,, well, he smoked a pipe.

He had a Gold claim , next to a gpaa claim that I used for two weeks every year.
I would RACE every mornin, to be in my wetsuit, and in the water, before him,, and he could care less....I'd be in that cold water, and Id pop my head out to check on my dredge, and he'd be standin there, in clothes still, smokin his pipe.
That stuck with me all these years,,, he was content , to just be there along that creek, smokin his pipe,,, finding gold didnt matter as much, to him , as it did me.

I always wanted that,, and my friends, I have just come into it , in the last year or two..
Lifes problems just dont seem to bother me , I know I'll get through whatever comes my way. And when I sit outside , in the mornin with a strong cup of coffee, and a good tobacco, its even better. I'm relaxed, and Im content with the world around me.
I think it has bled over to my Shoein too, as I am known for my patience. People will have Farriers/Shoers beat on theyre horse because the horse wont stand still, so they hear about me, and I come out, and theyre horse gets done without a fight.No hittin, no beatin, no yellin or cussin,,,I get em done quiet and gentle like, because I dont get in a hurry.

Its pretty darn nice actually,,, being Content.

DustyRoundup":rjbu9f7j said:
....I get em done quiet and gentle like, because I dont get in a hurry.
As a Bhudist monk I knew back in 'nam once told me ".... you have all the time needed for what needs be done" :p

DustyRoundup":wn4abihf said:
When I finally decided I was done chasin somethin that wasnt there, I started to feel it. That slight taste of "Being Content"
Best thing I've read in a while.

I've always found it both somewhat amusing and sad that people go full-bore, wild-eyed and hell-bent to find contentment itself--when all it takes is just a little awareness of what's around them.

"Contentment" is a weird thing. If you have it, you don't need it. If you need it, you don't have it. It waits there patiently for you to find to it, but the faster you go, the farther it gets. When you do finally get to it, it's fleeting, and you have to start all over again.

I think being content overall is stringing together small, rare bits of contentment the best you can from a dynamic, ever-changing world naturally designed to do the contrary. No wonder the old placer miner didn't need to race you--he already found the good stuff. 8)

Dusty: A wise man knows contentment but it is important also to appreciate what you have. We all need good health, a degree of financial security, the comfort of a loving relationship with a person of the opposite sex, food to eat and a house to make a home in. Beyond that contentment is everywhere if you appreciate it. A good pipe, a walk in the woods, fishing in a stream, hunting in the forest, biking down the highway and so forth. You, my friend, are a wise man in more ways than most. Your wisdom strength and confidence comes through in your writing, your thinking, and even your shoeing. I have no doubt that a horse can tell that you, like a vet, are a man of honor. It's good to share a trail with you.

ALL of the above listed post are why I like being a pipe smoker and a BoB member good stuff guys. Simple wisdom is the best wisdom. Thanks.