Thoughts on canadians (no not Slow Puffs)...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuggett

Reaction score
In my ever changing obsessions I have recently become enamored with the true canadian shape. I'm hoping to be able to pick one or two up after the new year but I've never owned one so I'm curious as to how others think of them. Smoke as well as any other shape?

J you can't justify it by shape... I don't believe any shape smokes better than any other shape (boy if that don't bait TJ back to BoB nothing will). I think proper mechanics trump everything, shape, age or origin of wood, carver, etc... Having said that...

I like lovets.. They rank right up there with funky free hands as my favorite. I say if ya like it and can afford it, go for it.

At one point, I would have argued that a Canadian (or related - lovat, lumberman, liverpool) would smoke no different than any other straight pipe, but so many people swear otherwise that I now wonder if the extra bit of wood isn't acting as an absorbent/filtering medium.

But I can't stand straight pipes, so the answer, as usual, is full bent, large bowl, sandblast.

do I get a prize?

A Canadian smokes just like a billiard, only longer. :lol:

I like the shape.

Rad

That's kind of what I figured. I mean engineering and what not has to be most important but I would think the long briar shank might have some effect. Just not sure whether it would be negative or positive. Pondering over it is half the fun though, no? :lol:

The Canadian is a lovely shape and from my personal experience I believe straight pipes do normally smoke drier than bent pipes but I also agree that the lovat is the preferred shape for me asthetically.
You cannot go wrong if it mechanically sound... go for it bro!

Rad Davis":ouipmwly said:
A Canadian smokes just like a billiard, only longer.

Rad
The clarity of this man's thinking never ceases to astound.

My Secret Santa gifted me one, which I have yet to fire up :D :santa: , I have a Castello Nat. Ver. Canadian/Lovat GG which I love, and 4or 5 S.S. Pierce of the same shape which I Love also :D and I concur about the enginering, ie; THE AIR FLOW TO 5/32's minimum, no pipe will realise it's potential w/o this Ken :tongue: :rendeer:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :santa:

pipetongue1":u6wvmlvd said:
THE AIR FLOW TO 5/32's minimum, no pipe will realise it's potential w/o this Ken :tongue: :rendeer:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :santa:
Dude that's a SECRET!

I have two Canadians. A GBD and a Sasquatch. Do they smoke better than my other pipes. Hmmmm; hard to say. But there is just something about them that makes them a sheer pleasure to smoke.

I've been hashing this out for about a year and finally settled on clearing out my pipe rack and concentrating on the canadian/lovat shape or variation,,,
Not necessarily the traditional billiard bowl, but straight long shank pipes,,,,simple, straight airway,,,no compound angles for the smoke to struggle through, or a pipecleaner,,,and I guess I've had it with tinkering on these low end pipes trying to get them to smoke properly, I know everybody has a fantastic two dollar pipe that's the cats ass, but I haven't been that lucky to find one,,,,except a four dollar cob, a bowl with a straight hollow stick shoved into it,,,,simple straight airway.
Back to basics, and I'm thinking the canadian/lovat is basic,,,,That and I like the shape,,,

my favourite shape is a canadian or related straights, but I think ken is right, having the opening at 5/32 makes a difference to all pipes... i only drilled through the bowl of two pipes over the years opening up the airway myself
icon_redface.gif

Thanks guys! This is actually what I wanted to hear, just as long as no one said "They are to pipes what the Pinto was to cars." I was going to get one anyway. :lol:

I've had an attraction to Lovat's and related long shank pipes for years now, own about half a dozen or so. I had Mike (pipemaker) make me two a few years back and they're still among my favorites.

However, I find myself looking at 1/4 bents again. Being "faithful" in a world full of seductive options isn't easy. :lol:

Natch

I have a smaller Cavicchi Canadian... 36gr and 6 inches long. It smokes great. I believe it's drilled 4mm from bowl to slot.

The only reason I don't have more Canadians is because I like lighter bent pipes that are easy to clench and hold in my mouth. Most Canadian shaped pipes are not good clenchers, especially the ones over 50gr. That said, I love looking at the shape. Worst case scenario, find yourself a nice Canadian (girl :D).

Joseph76":zkch2rq7 said:
I have a smaller Cavicchi Canadian... 36gr and 6 inches long. It smokes great. I believe it's drilled 4mm from bowl to slot.

The only reason I don't have more Canadians is because I like lighter bent pipes that are easy to clench and hold in my mouth. Most Canadian shaped pipes are not good clenchers, especially the ones over 50gr. That said, I love looking at the shape. Worst case scenario, find yourself a nice Canadian (girl :D).
That makes me wonder if canadians (pipes) were normally heavier than billiard.

Several years ago the Savinelli shape 812 was my favorite but now shorter pipes fit the bill being easier to clench.

Jim

I only have one Canadian, a Castello G Searock, and its a cool dry smoke. That said, lots of my pipes with shorter shanks, including some 1/4 bents smoke just as well. I do love the look of that long shank though. Maybe the stem/bit is the most critical part of a canadian? On those the taper from shank to the bit has to be pretty steep. My Castello clinches well, but when I target the next one I'll be looking closely at that.

Steve

I have 2 old GBD Canadians that are dedicated to FVF only. Both are a tad bit under 7in and smoke cool and dry. As others have said, my problem is not being able to clench also. IMO, they make great puffers for flakes :santa: :rendeer: