Thoughts on canadians (no not Slow Puffs)...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a Canadian but I don't actually own a Canadian. Doesn't matter anyway, we're just smoking pine needles in our pipes up here anyway. Brrr.

I have two Canadians and they both have rather tall thin bowls, making them comfortable to clench despite their length. They both smoke uncommonly well. Although I tend to favor bent pipes, there is something strait and true about their character that I really like. Perhaps it is just seeing the whole bowl out their right in front of your eyes but there is something unique about smoking one.

By the way, I have heard that the distinction between Canadian and Lumberman is as follows: the Canadian has an oval shank and the Lumberman has a round shank.

Here is a pipe by Holger that I call a Danish Lumbering Dublin Dog

And this is a faceted Canadian by Mastro de Paja with a pencil thin shank and an absolute featherweight (quite thin walls)

mp10.jpg

I agree w/ ya' 100% Jason. There's real beauty in the simplicity of the canadian. Also, Ooutside of the straight billiard I believe a group 4 standard canadian is the best smoking pipe you can possibly buy and well suited for flakes. I recently commissioned my pipe club's resident carver Tim Hynick to make me one of my own design. The stimpulation being that it be feather weight as I wanna clinch it and that it have a taper stem.

Here are a few favorites from my collection:

Jody Davis:
Darkntastypics009.jpg

JT Cooke:
whatrusmoking002.jpg

Werner Mummert:
pixcs008.jpg

alaskansong":p2lhwc11 said:
Here is a pipe by Holger that I call a Danish Lumbering Dublin Dog
Now that is the best (and driest) pipe humor I've heard in quite a while. :lol:

I'm really starting to like you, Richard.

Thanks again for the info guys. Those are some spectacular specimens as well.

I am definitely a Canadian fan. Most of my regular rotation are of the long shank sort. Aside from the aestetic value, I believe they are more absorbent- but that can (and will) be argued, haha! Savinelli has a bunch of different styles, and the model (I cant remember the shape number) where the shank is slightly angled up is my favorite by them. They are very reasonably priced, generally well made, and readily available.

Another Canadian fan here - I have a meer-lined KayWoodie that is one of my favorites. :star:

I have a very old, (4 digit shape number), Kaywoodie Canadian. It smokes like a dream. I try not to smoke it much though, because, well, it's old and I want it to last until I am, then I don't care.... so... I recentlly surcumbed to buying a lesser expenisve GBD Premier Canadian/Lovat. It's new, and my big dilema is whether to smoke it, save it, or sell it. (It really was an impusle buy.) I have an older GBD Virgin Lovat that is one of my favorite pipes. It has a small crack at the end of the shank, so I had it reparied with a band, and now it is for smoking and only smoking... and I'm glad of it, because it is one of my best pipes. I got it for next to nothing because it needed the repair... money very well spent. I am of the school that the longer shank makes a difference in the quality of the smoke. Just my opinion. I also have an older Kaywoodie Lovat with a cut off stinger... that pipe smokes like a chiminey... clouds of cool smoke... fun pipe too.