Throw some Va/Pers at me

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_In_Philly

Reaction score
So I'm more of a VA flake guy. Some of the blends I smoke regularly have Perique in them (Hal o the Wynd, PS LNF, Escudo, etc), but none have very much. I don't even consider HotW or LNF to be Va/Pers, I think of them as straight VA blends. Recently I was thinking about how much I liked Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture (but I gave up on it because it bit me like a rabid skunk) and I started to wonder if I would enjoy Va/Pers that have a more pronounced content of Perique.

So I'm soliciting suggestions for Va/Per blends that feature more Per.

Hey Dave. I can recommend Sammy G's St James Flake. My personal VaPer of the moment.. .

You should try St. James Flake. It's heavy on the "Per" side, and VA is dark as in the FVF.

Edit: Stick was faster :) was about to say the same.

You could also try Cool Hand Fluke. I have found that to be a wonderful VaPer blend. 40% perique, from what I have read, but very good. No biting either. :lol!:

Tinned
Pease Telegraph Hill or Stratford. (Stratford is the milder of the two)
McC Beacon Extra (perhaps the most periquey blend in McClelland's catalog)

Bulk
H&H Virginia Spice (contains a bit of maduro cigar leaf)
4noggins Prairie Wind

Cartaphilus":jrwwplmj said:
Brewdude":jrwwplmj said:
McC bulk 2015. My go-to VaPer!

Cheers,

RR
Have to agree with ya sir!
So Escudo IS NOT your "go to" VaPER ? What happened? You finally realized KETCHUP is GOOD !! :cheers: :cheers: :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":e2ld25p1 said:
Cartaphilus":e2ld25p1 said:
Brewdude":e2ld25p1 said:
McC bulk 2015. My go-to VaPer!

Cheers,

RR
Have to agree with ya sir!
So Escudo IS NOT your "go to" VaPER ? What happened? You finally realized KETCHUP is GOOD !! :cheers: :cheers: :twisted: :twisted:
Hey now! Escudo will always be my number 1 tobacco, just trying to steer the young man in the opposite right direction is all.

beacon extra
triple play
kajun kake
St. james

are all excellent choices...

Kajun Kake is my favorite. I also like Frog Morton on the Bayou. I wouldn't call either a classic VaPer. FMOTB has Lat. Kajun Kake has Black Cavendish as well as VA.

Dave -

I'm pretty big on VAs and VaPers...shoot me your address I and I'll send a handful of samples your way.

Thanks fellas, I think I'll give Cool Hand Fluke, St. James Flake and Solani 633 and Telegraph Hill a try.

Escudo is the only true VA/Per that I smoke regularly, but I often find myself searching for the Perique. I really like Anniversary Kake too, but I think of it as an aromatic more than anything else. I forgot about 2015. I have plenty of it on hand, but I found it too harsh, so stuck it in a couple of jars in the back of the closet with a note to myself not to touch them for five years.

I love virginia tobaccos. I love perique. I don't always agree with the amount of perique I find in the various blends.

So, I do my own thing. Peterson's Irish Oak is a very nice VA but not strong enough in the perique sector. So I just add enough perique to suit my taste. This is only one example.

I hardly ever smoke anything else but VaPers, tuned to my own taste.

Maybe you should give this a try. Can't lose, can win!