Tips??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MisterE":f50pk591 said:
I guess it depends if you think of pipe smoking as a "discipline" to master or a pastime to enjoy and perhaps get more enjoyment out of over time.

I always got bored trying to smoke with no relights so I never have been able to remember just how many lights it takes me. It seems more enjoyable to me when I'm only peripherally aware of technique and just in my own little world while smoking. The best is when it just tastes amazing and all of a sudden I notice the bowl is almost out. I had no consciousness of time or anything.

It`s a little like playing a musical instrument IMHO:

If you're just thinking "how to", "should be", or some other technical consideration it loses it's fun very quickly. It gets very frustrating, hard, and boring eventually.

When you're just playing music, having fun, and trying to sound the best you can it usually is fun and will generally sound that way.

Just my thoughts. :geek:
E is right. There is no "right" and "wrong". Just guidelines. Whatever you enjoy is right. Getting caught up in the technique and rules that others follow can help, that's certain, but it can also lead to over thinking, over complicating and eventually a decline in enjoyment. Which is the reason why we do the things we do whether it be pipe smoking, playing and instrument or whatever else.

Simple Advise - Don't worry about how many lights. Pipe smoking is all about enjoying the experience and relaxation. So just sit back and take it like it comes. As the song says "Be happy,Don't Worry.

Pretty sure it's "don't worry, be happy" but who's keeping count? I new what you meant and I'm with you. I just smoked a bowl of "old gowrie" that I packed a little tight. I think I had to relight 10 times. I sure did enjoy it. The only problem with relights is they eat up too many free matchs.

s.ireland":efffwukc said:
E is right. There is no "right" and "wrong". Just guidelines.
Got it. So, stuffing the stem with tobacco and smoking through the mouth of the bowl gets me freestyle points. Gotta write that one down. I'm sure they'll be great estate pipes for sale later, too. 8)

Kyle Weiss":a0l8yce2 said:
s.ireland":a0l8yce2 said:
E is right. There is no "right" and "wrong". Just guidelines.
Got it. So, stuffing the stem with tobacco and smoking through the mouth of the bowl gets me freestyle points.
Hey man whatever floats your boat :lol!:

As a relative novice, I'll add just a few observations.

As others have said, dry your tobacco more than you think you need to. I kept adding more humidity..........too much. Then I went ahead and smoked a bowl that I thought was too dry. Turns out it was just right.

I've also gone to just about solely gravity feed when loading my pipe. About the only "tamping" I really do is to clean up what hasn't fallen into the bowl cleanly. That has turned out really well and dropped my from about 6-7 lights a bowl down to 1-2. The only drawback, if you can call it that, is that I get shorter smokes. Still about 20 minutes (depending on the pipe and the tobacco) and that actually seems to work in my schedule pretty danged well.

My advice would be to not worry about relights. To really enjoy pipe smoking, you must smoke slowly and the pipe will occasionally go out. I've been smoking a pipe for 42 years and still often need 6 or so relights per bowl. I use the "breath smoking" technique, which is described in an article in Greg Pease's Briar and Leaf Chronicles. My enjoyment of smoking improved immeasurably when I started doing it.

Smokey

Kyle Weiss":r8hfo2km said:
I only relight about twice in a bowl, and I smoke "half bowls" as I have since I was in high school...back when I got beat up for even smoking a pipe.
I'm curious by what you mean "half bowls." Do you mean you only load a bowl half way up, or that you load it all the way up, but only smoke it half way down?

I was going to start a thread to ask a question, but very glad to have read this thread, and think I will just put it here. I have a feeling that I in general pack a pipe to tight, but that's sort of easy to determine. My question is, can you pack a pipe to loosely, and if so, what are the symptoms of that?

Only two I can sort of theorize would be pipe gets to hot, or danger of tongue burn. Both of those, I would think, could be controlled by sipping. So....?

deepbass9":c148x7d2 said:
I have to say, I'm really glad I posted this thread...I had my doubts as to the kinds of responses I'd get. But there's more pointed info in this than I can recall reading anywhere...
DB9, I am, too. FYI, people really do read these threads and learn something as evidenced by the results of putting suggestions into practice and evaluating.

Tonight I was sipping slowly from a pipe that was not mine. Was starting to get hot and heard the beginning of hint of gurgle. I lightly tamped, set it down and chatted for 20-30 minutes. Relighted the bowl and was treated to some of the most tastiest, creamiest, long-lasting, and smoke of epic proportions this newb has ever experience. I would have NEVER thought of this being a cigar smoker and this idea that, no matter what happens, don't let the thing go out. TIGER-BLOOD WINNING!

Kyle was right, FTW!

Btw, I assume it goes without saying this only enhanced my enjoyment and commitment to pipe smoking. I typically smoke 2 cigars and one pipe Fridays at the B&M. Tonight was 1 cigar I set down 3/4 way through and smoked two bowls. :D

deepbass9":ghhr4g39 said:
So, been puffing for almost a year now, and have done plenty of reading on all aspects.

I know the 3 pack method.

I know the Frank method.

I cut and cube flakes, fold & stuff 'em, and occasionally rub them out.

I smoke ribbons, flakes, broken flake, plugs, coins...the gambit I guess. I smoke burleys, VAs, VApers, English, Balkan, aros.

I know how to light, I know how to tamp.

What I don't know how to do is smoke with very few lightings. I'm an attentive smoker, usually sitting 'puter side with (I know it's getting old) a Hop Devil aside.

I guess I should count, but really it's many more than a dozen I'd guess, lights per pipe. It doesn't really bother me, but I see posts all the time akin to "one light and she smokes to a fine ash", and so forth.

So what gives? Any pointers to get me through a bowl with less butane?

I should add that I do smoke my baccy on the drier side, so moisture isn't an issue.
I've been going back here and reading many similar posts about this same thing and a couple of things seem common among them. First, varying loading methods, ( obviously demanded by the various tobaccos smoked), various tampling methods (obviously demanded by the various tobaccos smoked), and it all culminates with the question "How do I light less?". It's really not rocket science: smoke FEWER types of tobacco! Many of us long time smokers (40+years) you will probably find smoke 2 maybe 3 maybe 4 different types of tobacco. Many of these are similar in type, cut etc. and we have smoked them for MANY years. Familiarity makes for GREAT smoking!! Another thing is that many of us smoke older, well smoked pipes which smoke differently than newer ones. (hence the appreciation of "estate" pipes) . After you have smoked a pipe for almost 3/4 of your life, you begin to do things in a more intuitive/knowledgeable manner. This is probably something some younger folks won't like to read but when one is 3 times as old, you have just a bit MORE knowledge, life wise, than the youger folks. That's just life :p Personally, I only have 3 new pipes out of 80 and all the others were bought over 20 years ago. I have been smoking basically 3 types of tobacco in those pipes for as long as I have had them. I'm FAMILIAR with ALL the aspects of THOSE tobaccos in THOSE pipes. When I started smoking a pipe, what was available to smoke and the pipes available as well were somewhat limited by where you lived and what was available in B&M stores around you as well as local conventions of other smokers where you lived. We did not have the plethora of tobaccos and pipes as are avilable in this internet era we live in now. Sometimes, too much choice can get in the way of the enjoyment of something :p
I'm now branching into trying smoking straight Virginias and the nature of these is requiring that I change somethings, methodology wise in my smoking. So my tobacco goes out more and I have to relight. So what? The aim is to smoke the tobacco and ENJOY IT! Not achieve some sort of goal of 1 light to finish. Sit down, load your pipe, light it and smoke and enjoy. Relight as much as you need and RELAX :p

monbla256":ke6xm43g said:
I've been going back here and reading many similar posts about this same thing and a couple of things seem common among them. First, varying loading methods, ( obviously demanded by the various tobaccos smoked), various tampling methods (obviously demanded by the various tobaccos smoked), and it all culminates with the question "How do I light less?". It's really not rocket science: smoke FEWER types of tobacco! Many of us long time smokers (40+years) you will probably find smoke 2 maybe 3 maybe 4 different types of tobacco. Many of these are similar in type, cut etc. and we have smoked them for MANY years. Familiarity makes for GREAT smoking!! Another thing is that many of us smoke older, well smoked pipes which smoke differently than newer ones. (hence the appreciation of "estate" pipes) . After you have smoked a pipe for almost 3/4 of your life, you begin to do things in a more intuitive/knowledgeable manner. This is probably something some younger folks won't like to read but when one is 3 times as old, you have just a bit MORE knowledge, life wise, than the youger folks. That's just life :p Personally, I only have 3 new pipes out of 80 and all the others were bought over 20 years ago. I have been smoking basically 3 types of tobacco in those pipes for as long as I have had them. I'm FAMILIAR with ALL the aspects of THOSE tobaccos in THOSE pipes. When I started smoking a pipe, what was available to smoke and the pipes available as well were somewhat limited by where you lived and what was available in B&M stores around you as well as local conventions of other smokers where you lived. We did not have the plethora of tobaccos and pipes as are avilable in this internet era we live in now. Sometimes, too much choice can get in the way of the enjoyment of something :p
I'm now branching into trying smoking straight Virginias and the nature of these is requiring that I change somethings, methodology wise in my smoking. So my tobacco goes out more and I have to relight. So what? The aim is to smoke the tobacco and ENJOY IT! Not achieve some sort of goal of 1 light to finish. Sit down, load your pipe, light it and smoke and enjoy. Relight as much as you need and RELAX :p

Yes, familiarity....that accounts for and explains much. Others have said stick with one tobak, but I think you've framed the idea a bit better. Thanks for your input.

There are several ways to smoke a bowl with a single match.You just have to understand what's going on.To keep the fire alive you need oxygen.On slow smoking competitions they achieve this by removing the top ashes with the tamper.Another way is to inject oxygen with the pick.You can also try to just spill the loose ash outside while smoking and then retamp.By this principle you can develop a few more ways if you keep in mind what's going on.However,i derive more satisfaction by lighting it 2 or 3 times with a minimum glow wich gives me a cool and tasty smoke with some rest in between.If you are really serious about this,check Jacek Schmidt book about slow smoking.

I disagree. Most of the ash will probably rub off the next time tobacco is stuffed into the pipe, but not all of it. I am absolutely convinced that the ash aids in building cake. Especially at the bottom of the bowl.

And.. even if I'm full of it, I think that the grey ash in my pipe bowls looks good when they are resting on the rack!

Doug

Rusty":r53m46n5 said:
And we'll have none of this shaking ash in the bowl stuff. That's not cake; it's flaky ash and it'll fall off the chamber wall.

A looser pack and keeping the flame as far away from the tobacco as possible when lighting my pipe has made my smokes much, much cooler and tastier this week!

Seeing that you are attentive and a clenching breath smoker, using dry baccy, etc - your problem with a dozen relights must be coming from a few places ...

Either
A) you are drifting off mentally from time to time, leaving the bowl to go out - nothing much to be done there
B) you are tamping too firmly and too often, extinguishing the bowl - only tamp after the first false light and perhaps two or three times during a smoke as needed, not as desired :). Only tamp when you cannot light the pipe due to thick ash buildup for the most part
C) you are packing the bowl too tight or loose, not allowing the tiny furnace that is your pipe to perform as designed - just like a campfire, the construction of the combustible pile is key - you can wad it, frank it, three step it etc - as long as air can move through (not too tight) and combustibles are in good contact (not too loose) - how loose is too loose? As a test pack a bowl as you normally do - then use your tamper to firmly pack it down - if you can pack it down to less than half a bowl easily you are packing too loose - try using 1/3 more baccy. Too tight? Try using a poker to drill a hole down the center of the baccy, all the way to the bottom of the bowl - smokes much better? You are packing too tight, use 1/3 less baccy per bowl
D) not getting a decent enough light each time could also be the cause - like a cigar, the entire surface of the bowl must be lit to smoke well, take your time lighting, slowly toasting and lighting the entire surface gently over five or ten seconds - always keep the flame moving and only apply flame for one or two seconds at a time during the light

What is all this OBSESSION with a single light ! Just re-light as necessary and enjoy the smoke ! Unless you are going to be a competative "slow smoker" and engage in these kind of contests, (which are dumb IMHO :p ), what does it matter if you are enjoying your tobacco and pipe ? But I'm one of "those old geezers" so what the hey :p

monbla256":5w0tf13k said:
What is all this OBSESSION with a single light ! Just re-light as necessary and enjoy the smoke ! Unless you are going to be a competative "slow smoker" and engage in these kind of contests, (which are dumb IMHO :p ), what does it matter if you are enjoying your tobacco and pipe ? But I'm one of "those old geezers" so what the hey :p
Eh, I think everyone is just trying to give out pointers that work for them. I'm fine with my relights, and there are plenty of them. I understand the mechanics of it all, and familiarity and consistency seem to be the keys. I'm kinda all over different tobaks and pipes, so my learning curve for each with each will be steep..oh well, I'm having fun.

deepbass9":gf6pczew said:
monbla256":gf6pczew said:
Eh, I think everyone is just trying to give out pointers that work for them. I'm fine with my relights, and there are plenty of them. I understand the mechanics of it all, and familiarity and consistency seem to be the keys. I'm kinda all over different tobaks and pipes, so my learning curve for each with each will be steep..oh well, I'm having fun.
THAT"S the idea !! Load that bowl, put fire to it and sit back and enjoy :p

monbla256":2po04nwe said:
As I've said before, there's either obsession with specifics, or just obsessions with the obsession of another. :lol:

I find it all amusing.

As if I cared how many lights it takes, myself--there's some weird status thing with newbies (that I fortunately never suffered from) that think to be a "real" pipe smoker you have to only light once or twice. I mean, yeah it's nice when that happens, but more a mode of luck, in my book.

Breathe, Monbla, breathe. Think happy thoughts, relaxing beach in Fiji or something. :lol:

8)