Tobacco collection

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxerbuddy

Reaction score
Was starting to have too many open tins...so I went out and got some mason jars. Lol they say eight ounces but they barely fit 2 ounces of tobacco. Anyways heres my growing little collection. Ha my writing is chicken scratch. The one on the left that you can't see that well is Peretti's 9575.

00110.jpg
[/url][/img]

Nice cellar you have started. The jars hold 8oz by volume, tobacco is 2oz by weight.

jhuggett":j9afyy3b said:
Nice cellar you have started. The jars hold 8oz by volume, tobacco is 2oz by weight.
...how much "packing" should be done with tobacco in jars, ounce-for-ounce, by the way? Always wanted to know that. Obviously the volume/weight thing is a bit of a conundrum in this case...

I use the 8oz jars and throw in a 2oz or 50gm tin and don't worry about it much more than that. Flakes/plugs/ropes obviously take up less room because they are much more compacted than ribbon or shag cuts.

jhuggett":4s4p1uil said:
I use the 8oz jars and throw in a 2oz or 50gm tin and don't worry about it much more than that. Flakes/plugs/ropes obviously take up less room because they are much more compacted than ribbon or shag cuts.
...so, don't shove 4oz+ of tobacco in an 8oz jar, I assume, then? Get a bigger jar? :lol:

That's a nice collection of blends you have there. It includes a couple of my Peretti favorites; D-9575 and Park Square.

Smokey

personally I use the 8 ounce jars for my "cellared" (3-4 ounces or as much as I can cram in), and the small jelly jars for "open" jars. That way I only open about 4 or less ounces each time I need to refill. Then I transfer about 2 ounces at a time to the jelly jars. it seems to work pretty well for me. and I can leave jars undestubed for a long time since I have multiples of each.

BigBehr":768mim2t said:
personally I use the 8 ounce jars for my "cellared" (3-4 ounces or as much as I can cram in), and the small jelly jars for "open" jars. That way I only open about 4 or less ounces each time I need to refill. Then I transfer about 2 ounces at a time to the jelly jars. it seems to work pretty well for me. and I can leave jars undestubed for a long time since I have multiples of each.
I'll second that.

Okay, so for the record, cram the suckers full for cellaring and keep it loose for convenience. *skritches notes* Got it.

I probably should have stated I don't really cellar bulks and only use the canning jars for tins I'm not going to smoke quickly. Sorry about that.

Hey Kyle,

It should be noted that the seal on a mason/ball jar is only airtight for one use. then you would need to get another lid if you want it airtight again.
So ofr long term storage youw ould want a sealed lid you dont plan on opening for years

Bill

billmess":73wesop2 said:
Hey Kyle,

It should be noted that the seal on a mason/ball jar is only airtight for one use. then you would need to get another lid if you want it airtight again.
So ofr long term storage youw ould want a sealed lid you dont plan on opening for years
no need to repeat the whole thing here, but which thread has the best instructions on getting the jars to fully seal? I know we don't want to go through everything suggested on the jar boxes!

DrT999":6sgqafq3 said:
billmess":6sgqafq3 said:
Hey Kyle,

no need to repeat the whole thing here, but which thread has the best instructions on getting the jars to fully seal? I know we don't want to go through everything suggested on the jar boxes!

Just tighten em. Nature will take it from there.

Vito-ism: when washing jars, rinse with a hot, then cold, then hot rinses. Cold actually gets the soap off best, but hot ensures sterility.

Someone said that lids can only be used once; I disagree. If lids have been used to age tobacco for years, then yes, they can't be reused; the rubber is scored too deeply. But the trick is to soak the lids in hot water for 15 minutes X 2 or 3, and inspect them. If the rubber rebounds most of the way, it is sufficient to take another seal. If it's only a light or moderate score, when you first put them in the water, then many times the rubber will rebound and can be reused.

But even so if I'm using the jar for storage only, I'd use a recycled lid; if long-term aging, I'd use a new lid.

UberHuberMan":nvp7zvqe said:
BigBehr":nvp7zvqe said:
I'll second that.
This close to exactly what I do. I got three ozs of medium-small tobacco strands in a jelly jar that I bought at my tobacconist last Saturday. It's MB VA #1 and dark-fired KY, 50%, 25% Perique and 5% SG Black XX. Very spicy, sweet-very good. I know I left something out.

Hermit":g4ofpb2w said:
DrT999":g4ofpb2w said:
billmess":g4ofpb2w said:
Hey Kyle,

Just tighten em. Nature will take it from there.
Okay; good to know!

Kyle Weiss":p6yvoon4 said:
Okay, so for the record, cram the suckers full for cellaring and keep it loose for convenience. *skritches notes* Got it.
Eh, I don't cram. Air is a significant part of the aging process, it is indeed what causes the sugar to better ferment. In 8 oz. jar's I put 2 oz's and no more. I go with the bigger jars if I have more than 2 oz's to store or I put them in multiple jars. There is a reason that manufacturers don't cram 3-4 oz's in their standard 2 oz. tins and sell them at a 4 oz. price. I like to imagine they would love to save the revenue in doing so. I suppose this could be my personal opinion on the matter, but I know several others who go by the same philosophy. So I'd advise against cramming, but do what you will.

joshoowah":l5wzw7p1 said:
Kyle Weiss":l5wzw7p1 said:
Eh, I don't cram. Air is significant part of the aging process, it is indeed what causes the sugar to better ferment. In 8 oz. jar's I put 2 oz's and no more. I go with the bigger jars if I have more than 2 oz's to store or I put them in multiple jars. There is a reason that manufacturers don't cram 3-4 oz's in their standard 2 oz. tins and sell them at a 4 oz. price. I like to imagine they would love to save the revenue in doing so. I suppose this could be my personal opinion on the matter, but I know several others who go by the same philosophy. So I'd advise against cramming, but do what you will.
+1