Tobacco collection

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pint mason jars get 4 oz. and quarts a half pound for me. Sometimes, I don't get a full half pound of a flake tobacco in the qt jars, as I don't want to break the flakes.

Kyle Weiss":4263r2fm said:
Okay, so for the record, cram the suckers full for cellaring and keep it loose for convenience. *skritches notes* Got it.
There are different views on how full to fill jars. Some like a looser fill (gravity?) so more air around it to age, some prefer a rather tight pack. The ratio of 1 ounce of tobacco takes up the room of 3+/- liquid ounces in a jar is my general for most loose cuts. Shag cut can become more like 1 : 4, and flakes are more like 1 : 2.

Just my experience,

Natch

The less tobacco there is in a jar, the more air there is in it.

The more air's in the jar, the longer it takes until the oxygen in it's exhausted by the aerobic bacteria in the tobacco.

In consequence, the longer it takes until the anaerobic bacteria can even begin "the aging process."

Not to mention that, with some of the moisture in the tobacco migrating out into the air space, you're hampering and delaying "the aging process" you are counting on to marry and ripen the flavor, which requires moisture (which is why good tobacco is packed at around 14-16%).

:face:

My view exactly.

But for me other considerations apply. Some pack their jars so as to exclude as much air as possible. While I don't do that, I do pack flake in pint jars, for example, in increments of 4 ozs, which is plenty to smoke at any one time, allowing the other 4 oz increment jars to remain undisturbed and continue aging. I don't do this for more air but for the increment that I want to smoke. But this view has already been said.

I have an issue, maybe. I have several pounds of flake tobacco aging in new ball jars with new lids. The jars that were packed loose, the lid has sunk down nice and tight and a vacuum has formed. On the jars that were packed tight with tobacco & very little headspace, the lids are bulging. The contents are now under pressure. They still have a good seal because if I open one, there is a loud swoosh as air escapes. Should I be concerned with the bulge, or is this part of the aging process.?
The oldest jars are 18mo old, the newest 10mo, if this make a difference.

You will often find the same bulging going on with old (like 15 -- 20 years) unopened tins.

It's no cause for concern.

:face:

One thing I've found with my Ball jars is that if the lids are not over-tightened, they'll last longer. You only need to press the lid down firmly against the rubber and not gorilla-grip them. Of course if you do have doubts about the lids, new ones are cheap.

Smokey

fishnrust":raf02o3r said:
I have an issue, maybe. I have several pounds of flake tobacco aging in new ball jars with new lids. The jars that were packed loose, the lid has sunk down nice and tight and a vacuum has formed. On the jars that were packed tight with tobacco & very little headspace, the lids are bulging. The contents are now under pressure. They still have a good seal because if I open one, there is a loud swoosh as air escapes. Should I be concerned with the bulge, or is this part of the aging process.?
The oldest jars are 18mo old, the newest 10mo, if this make a difference.
The lids are bulging because the tobacco is outgassing, ie, giving off gas because it is deteriorating, or what we call aging.

BigBehr":guj6ewiw said:
personally I use the 8 ounce jars for my "cellared" (3-4 ounces or as much as I can cram in), and the small jelly jars for "open" jars. That way I only open about 4 or less ounces each time I need to refill. Then I transfer about 2 ounces at a time to the jelly jars. it seems to work pretty well for me. and I can leave jars undestubed for a long time since I have multiples of each.
Yup.