Tobacco fail

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":rqhllgxd said:
Doc, can't you just get Cherry Coke syrup and drizzle it on some leaf?   That'd work, right?   :lol:

8)
Kyle, I think you're onto something. Cherry Coke syrup it is. :cheers:

Kyle Weiss":4es7b9dn said:
monbla256":4es7b9dn said:
If you REALLY LIKE VA's, McClelland's are THE blends/mixtures for sure ! They are THE MASTERS of Va's !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
McDonald'sClelland serves billions and billions, they can't be wrong.  :p

Doc, can't you just get Cherry Coke syrup and drizzle it on some leaf?   That'd work, right?   :lol:

8)
And they are not !! :twisted: Now Greg is another matter :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Two quick points about VA blends:

1. Many (and, for my part, almost all of the GLP blends) need some age. Anything fresher than 2 years can really run the risk of being green, rough around the edges, and lack the darkness/sweetness that make many VAs/VaPers great.

2. In my experience, I can rarely judge a VA/VaPer based on anything less than a full tin. You could very easily have a less confuse palate than I do, but I need at least that long to get to know a blend.

So I think VAs are all about time. Time spent aging, and time spent smoking - rush either step and you might not get everything out of leaf that's intended.

idbowman":7o55k6g2 said:
Two quick points about VA blends:

1.  Many (and, for my part, almost all of the GLP blends) need some age.  Anything fresher than 2 years can really run the risk of being green, rough around the edges, and lack the darkness/sweetness that make many VAs/VaPers great.  

2.  In my experience, I can rarely judge a VA/VaPer based on anything less than a full tin.  You could very easily have a less confuse palate than I do, but I need at least that long to get to know a blend.  

So I think VAs are all about time.  Time spent aging, and time spent smoking - rush either step and you might not get everything out of leaf that's intended.

I agree with this... But... I don't want to smoke something I don't enjoy, especially when I have plenty of what I do enjoy. That's why I'm acting on the first part of your argument, letting what I find harsh and unpleasant rest and develop.

Old Nate":ud5iyoyz said:
Still need to get my hands on Blackwood's Flake. And I'm hoping my Hal and other GLP blends age to my liking.
Get the Blackwood's Flake, posthaste. I was introduced to it by a forum member and it's the most multidimensional virginia I've had so far, and the brown sugar note is scrumptious.

As for disappointing blends, Rattray's Black Mallory. Not sure why but it was just bland for me. I've still got the tin somewhere though and like you I'll try and revisit it at a later date.

Retrogasm":xqxjj3e8 said:
As for disappointing blends, Rattray's Black Mallory. Not sure why but it was just bland for me. I've still got the tin somewhere though and like you I'll try and revisit it at a later date.
It ain't just you.   Rattray's these days, to my tongue, does Old Gowrie and Hal O The Wynd well, and that's about it.   Black Mallory has a cool tin and label, and stops there.   I bagged up the contents and gave them to someone who likes smoking dull cardboard shavings, and the tin serves as a lovely pen caddy.  

DoverP still knows how to shut the door and lock it down.   Nice one.  :lol:

8)

McC 2015 was a bit of a disappointment, especially in light of all Monbla's hype, but it may be coming around. The biggest for me was C&D's Big 'n' Burley. It just tastes flat, harsh, and cigar-like in a bad way. Reviews said it was like a stronger version of their Burley Flake #4, a sample of which I really enjoyed, so I was quite disappointed. Maybe with some age it'll be better.

Monbla, McCatsup might be the best in the USA, but they're not quite as good as Sammy G overseas. BBF is the finest VA made.

Thomas Tkach":fxdspbjt said:
McC 2015 was a bit of a disappointment, especially in light of all Monbla's hype, but it may be coming around. The biggest for me was C&D's Big 'n' Burley. It just tastes flat, harsh, and cigar-like in a bad way. Reviews said it was like a stronger version of their Burley Flake #4, a sample of which I really enjoyed, so I was quite disappointed. Maybe with some age it'll be better.

Monbla, McCatsup might be the best in the USA, but they're not quite as good as Sammy G overseas. BBF is the finest VA made.
You didn't like the 2015, Thomas? Wow, that stuff, for me, is bursting. Pepper, tang, sweet... Good, good, good. Not overly complex, but whenever I'm in the mood for a nice tang, 2015 comes through.

Thomas Tkach":7kybz8y1 said:
Thomas, before you right off McClellands, know that they're bulk offerings are never aged as well as their tined blends. 2015 is great once it has some age, but is somewhat rough around the edges right out of the gate. Blackwoods Flake, on the other hand, is absolutely fantastic right away. It is, IMHO, every bit on par with another favorite of mine, SG Full Virginia Flake.

I'm curious where folks thought I hyped McC's 2015 as I'm NOT a big VaPer fan though it is good for being that. I have spoken about three other McC's bulks which I REALLY LIKE, ALL being Red Va based, FM 2000, 2010 CV, and 5100 RC. I've found these good/excellent either fresh OR aged!! As Far as Blackwoods Flake, it's FANTASTIC EITHER WAY!! My palate just favors the domestic Red Va's over the imported Va's used by either the Brits or GLP or C&D. Not a hard core FACT, JMHO :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Actually, it was the 2010 Classic VA (I think I have the numbers right now). It's growing on me, though.

I do like the 5100 and 2035 I got. I wasn't refering to 2015 in particular (actually, I meant 2010), but you are a big McC fan, aren't you? Wasn't your avatar a castup bottle before this one?

Thomas Tkach":h47jg0z7 said:
I do like the 5100 and 2035 I got. I wasn't refering to 2015 in particular (actually, I meant 2010), but you are a big McC fan, aren't you? Wasn't your avatar a castup bottle before this one?
Ya might say that !! :twisted: :twisted:  My new avatar is my fave detective writer, a MAJOR fan of my second favorite ALL Va blend, Royal Yacht !! And as we ALL KNOW, Va without ketchup is just BLAH !! :twisted: :twisted: ( unless it's not Royal Yacht !! I've had a "thing" with Lady 'N' for decades !! :twisted: :twisted:

I almost bought Royal Yacht the other day. Absolutely wish I had!

monbla256":9am4cmzo said:
My palate just favors the domestic Red Va's over the imported Va's used by either the Brits or GLP or C&D.
Nice trolling with your can'o'worms there. :lol: Though I doubt anyone's gonna bother defining "domestic" versus "imported" with leaf, it's often not what anyone thinks it is. Usually because no one grows-kisses-n-tells with their crops.

Want flavor and an ass kickin'? GH&Co Kendall Kentucky, to start... Lady N turns into Madame Sadist-Nicowhoreotine like you wouldn't believe. :heart:

8)

There are a few, but what comes to mind is my first experience with MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Loose, you know, because I was a new smoker, it wasn't CBW, and smelled AWESOME in the tin...till I got none of the flavor and all the fried chicken feeling my mouth. Even a decade later, It still doesn't do it for me.
The other one was Bob's Chocolate Flake, from both lakeland sources but especially G&H. It was SOO bad for me that If no one here would have taken it, I would've thrown it out.

For me that would be a list I don't have. I tend to judge tobacco for what it is. Everyone wants to compare this and that or say when so and so made this it was much better! And whats up with all the flowery rhetoric and meritorious babble. I mean if you like it just say you like it. If you don't just leave it alone. I really think we have enough HATERS in the world today. But hey that's just my take, opinions are closely akin to assholes--- everyone has one and each thinks his is more fragrant than anyone else's! Mine is equally so!

Dix Creek":s1tudfks said:
For me that would be a list I don't have.  I tend to judge tobacco for what it is. Everyone wants to compare this and that or say when so and so made this it was much better!  And whats up with all the flowery rhetoric and meritorious babble. I mean if you like it just say you like it. If you don't just leave it alone. I really think we have enough HATERS in the world today. But hey that's just my take, opinions are closely akin to assholes--- everyone has one and each thinks his is more fragrant than anyone else's! Mine is equally so!

Well, that's just no fun at all!

I know, I wish I didn't like the majestic weed so well but I do! Tobacco is a lot like Bourbon Whiskey. Some of it may be better off used for other things, I just try to avoid those at all cost. I am not slamming anybody and I don't want to be construed as such. This forum and site are great fun and I enjoy reading what everybody says. By the way I was glad to see the Steelers wake up Monday night!