Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2386
  • Start date
Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 2386

Today’s mystery comes courtesy of SP or P&C, can’t remember which: ordered an ounce of Kendal Plug to try and it’s not at all what I expected, much lighter in appearance and taste..but then I’ve never had it before! For those of you who’ve had Kendal Plug before, is this what yours looked like? And if not, any idea what it might be? Thanks!

Yup, that's about right. Kendal Plug is Best Brown Flake in a plug format, so it won't be as dark looking as FVF, for example.

That looks like a P&C bag and sticker to me, and for that, it gives you reasonable concern to ask what it is. Every order I've made with P&C since switching hands has been screwed up with wrong tobaccos. Thank goodness a lot of these places have photos of the blends for reference, but on the other hand, I've also noticed some of the photos are so out of date that they're useless. I don't know, man. I definitely appreciate ordering from other places because I'm not questioning whether I'm getting what I ordered. Yet, I do continue to order from there. I'm sort of like the Republicans and Trump like that. I know better, but my own self-interest clouds my judgment.

Reading Zeno Marx's comment, I took a much closer look at the pic. It did look weird, format wise at first glance, but the leaf color was kind of identical. Now, looking harder...Indeed, something seems off with that "plug". I had bought the 250g format and it was one, solid brick. This looks like chunks of some C & D plug/krumble kake, not an European processed plug.

Davy Jones":9bx7uglz said:
Yup, that's about right. Kendal Plug is Best Brown Flake in a plug format, so it won't be as dark looking as FVF, for example.
Thanks for the intel, DJ! It’s definitely denser than C&D stuff, and most closely resembles Cannon Plug in terms of pressing, and with the flavor just being a straight up good Virginia taste I bet it is indeed Kendal Plug. What through me was seeing pics where it looked darker but maybe those were older...in any event it smokes good, so whatever it is I reckon I’ll work my way through it!

Zeno Marx":nc2tctyz said:
That looks like a P&C bag and sticker to me, and for that, it gives you reasonable concern to ask what it is.  Every order I've made with P&C since switching hands has been screwed up with wrong tobaccos.  Thank goodness a lot of these places have photos of the blends for reference, but on the other hand, I've also noticed some of the photos are so out of date that they're useless.  I don't know, man.  I definitely appreciate ordering from other places because I'm not questioning whether I'm getting what I ordered.  Yet, I do continue to order from there.  I'm sort of like the Republicans and Trump like that.  I know better, but my own self-interest clouds my judgment.
Yeah I’m the same way with P&C—just when I think I’m out they pull me back in! And credit where due, their customer service team has always made things right by me when they’ve screwed up an order. And this time around it seems like they sent me the right thing, or close enough!

Zeno Marx":impsgafb said:
That looks like a P&C bag and sticker to me, and for that, it gives you reasonable concern to ask what it is.  Every order I've made with P&C since switching hands has been screwed up with wrong tobaccos.  Thank goodness a lot of these places have photos of the blends for reference, but on the other hand, I've also noticed some of the photos are so out of date that they're useless.  I don't know, man.  I definitely appreciate ordering from other places because I'm not questioning whether I'm getting what I ordered.  Yet, I do continue to order from there.  I'm sort of like the Republicans and Trump like that.  I know better, but my own self-interest clouds my judgment.
:lol: :lol:

Me too!  I say never again and then the send out an email with an insane deal and I take it.  I have some Pease tins still on back order from the beginning of December.  Love Russ and what he does there but the company has slipped form what it use to be.  Hope they can right the ship, I'm pulling for them.

GrampaGrossbart":m1mkvg3e said:
Davy Jones":m1mkvg3e said:
Thanks for the intel, DJ! It’s definitely denser than C&D stuff, and most closely resembles Cannon Plug in terms of pressing, and with the flavor just being a straight up good Virginia taste I bet it is indeed Kendal Plug. What through me was seeing pics where it looked darker but maybe those were older...in any event it smokes good, so whatever it is I reckon I’ll work my way through it!
Ah ok, good then. I kind of hesitated a bit later, though, looking closer at the pic. I guess you got some weird looking chunk. As long as it's what you ordered, doesn't matter if it looks weird, right? ;)

Zeno Marx":af8zjd1u said:
Thank goodness a lot of these places have photos of the blends for reference...
I should have also stated...and given due credit...to all the users who are willing to chime in with their knowledge and expertise. Between the stock photos found on the sites and the wealth of collective experience, it's relatively easy to determine whether X is X or Y is Y. Thanks to everyone who helps us brickheaded consumers.

Here's a pic of my Kendall plug. It was a full sealed 250g block from smoking pipes.

I like BBF a lot, but like Kendall plug a lot more. It's a little tangier, with as little fermented sweetness.