Top 5 tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top 5 Of My Own Blends

Storm Front
Spyglass
Winter Heartbeat
Virginia Squire
Quadruple Virginia

Other Top 5

Carter Hall
Ky Club Mixture
SWR
Flying Dutchman
Burley London Blend

I don't have a number one since it really depends on my mood and the season. Recently local shops have been brining in lots of Samuel Gawith so I have been stocking up on Full Virginia Flake for the cellar which I would rate as one of the top VA’s I’ve smoked. I also quite enjoy McClelland’s Grand Orientals Venidje Supreme which is a very subtle mild blend that is quite rewarding. Frog Morton on the Town rates high which is a wonderful full creamy smoke, but does leave an awful amount of sticky residual in the pipe.

If anyone who thinks SG Full VA Flake is up there as one the best, I would love to hear similar VA’s recommendations that you enjoy equally (or more).

I notice a lot of VA fans, but nobody mentioned my number 1 "any time" current fave:

1. McCranie's Red Ribbon
2. Beacon (McClelland)
3. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe
4. Solani Silver Flake
5. MacBaren Virginia #1

Other good friends:

Beacon Extra
FVF
Balkan Sesani
and when I can handle it GL Pease Triple Play (HUGE vitamin N).

cakeanddottle":on831act said:
Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd
Robert McConnell Scottish Cake
McClelland Three Oaks Syrian
Cornell & Diehl Three Friars
GL Pease Key Largo

but that is just the tip of the iceberg on a new pipe smoker's journey. Lots of tins in the cellar I haven't cracked yet.
see it's only been a couple months and already this list has changed:

Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd
Peretti's Cambridge Flake
Peretti's Cuban Mixture
Samuel Gawith FVF
Samuel Gawith Commonwealth

SG Balkan Flake
Capstan Original Navy Cut
Rattrays Hal Of the Wynd
Germain's Special Latakia Flake
Ashton's Artisans Blend

Well yeah. On some other day my list would be maybe slightly different, but here's my top 5 now.

I'm still a beginner, but now that I've tried enough tobacco blends to say that my top and bottom five don't overlap (and that there are even a few blends to buffer the middle) I might as well make this post.

1. Burley London Blend (Mac Baren, sun-cured Burley/Virgina) - This is the first blend I can imagine smoking all day long, if only I could. I especially like it in my cobs.
2. Orient 996 Vintage 2007 (McClelland, air-cured bright Virginia/red Virginia/Yenidje/Latakia) - Despite the weird tomato soup smell, this stuff smokes beautifully. It's my favorite nighttime smoke to relax by.
3. Hazelnut (Lane, air-cured golden Virginia/Burley, toasted Cavendish) - This is far and away my favorite aromatic, and a guarantee that I will never turn up my nose at aromatics, Cavendish, or bulk blends in general.
4. Carter Hall (John Middleton, air-cured Burley/Virginia) - I have CarterHallJunkie to thank for turning me onto this blend. It's the best bang for the buck, in my opinion, and I like it better than a whole bunch of tobacco I paid a lot more for. I also have to acknowledge tiltjlp for his continuing espousal of OTC brands.

Fifth place is a toss-up.
5a. Black Cavendish (Lane, fire-cured black Cavendish) - When I first took up pipes at the beginning of the year, a lot of (hopefully) well-meaning storekeepers directed me to a variety of sweet, bulk aromatics. This is the first one that stuck, and for a while it was my favorite tobacco.
5b. Black Cordial (Lane, fire-cured black Cavendish/Virginia) - The copy promises something "dramatically new and different in taste and appearance." Yeah, right. That's a miss on both counts. Despite the puffery, it's still really good. The overall experience is very similar to Black Cavendish and vies with that blend for my favor. It also has the distinction of being the one pipe tobacco that always seems to attract positive comments from passersby when I light it up.

McClelland Blackwood Flake
McClelland Dark Star
John Patton Storm Front
Sillem's Black
Boswell Chocolate Creme

Currently:

SG Best Brown Flake
PS Luxury Bullseye flake
Stonehaven
GLP Cumberland
SG FVF

Current favorite five... I'm going with:

1. Pipe and Book Adirondack Mixture
2. S&G Chocolate Flake
3. MB Vanilla Flake
4. MM965
5. C & D Autumn Evening

Ugh, why can't we smoke at our desks anymore?

Wow, this is a tough one! There are so many good blends that it's hard to narrow them down to just five but here goes, in no particular order:

C&D Plantation Evening
C&D Epiphany
Scotty's Butternut Burley
Boswell's Magnum Blend
Peretti's Park Square

And of course this list may change completely in another month.

Smokey

Smokntaz":r2mnwgbx said:
With my limited experience and having the palate of a goat here's what I'm enjoying so far.

Butternut Burley
Orlik Golden Sliced
H&H Namaste
H&H Jesse's Own
FVF
+1 on having the palate of a goat!!!

As in my profile at the left:

Frog Morton On The Town
Brebbia Balkan
Captain Earl's 10 Russians
PS Bullseye Flake
PS Luxury Navy Flake

I seem to change the 2-5 positions often, but I still call FMOTT the #1 - so far in my short pipe-smoking life it has been my fave!