Travel Topic

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anasazi6

Reaction score
I've traveled over about half of the US and spent a lot of time exploring Texas and the surrounding states. Our trip to Cape Cod and Maine a few years ago had to be one of the best. The scenery was great, just like all of the calendar photos I had seen over the years. The food couldn't have been better, especially the lobster and clam chowder. I'm hoping to return there again someday. Right now I'm planning a trip to East Texas to the Caddo Lake area. I've been there plenty of times but it never gets old.

DC in Texas

Being "stuck" in Maine myself, I have to say that living on the Midcoast, right on the water, it's not a bad deal at all.  We have 50+ restaurants within a stone's throw, great beaches, ocean jaunts aplenty.  Glad you had a good time here in Maine.

My wife and I had a goal of taking our 2 sons to visit all 50 states. We have Hawaii left which we will do in 2015. This is a beautiful country with great people in all states.

Outside of the US we have only visited Belgium, Holland, Scotland, Spain, Tanzania, Argentina, Bermuda, assorted Caribbean islands, Honduras, Venezuela, Bolivia, Canada, & Mexico. We hope to make it to the Mediterranean, Asia, Germany, Israel, and the Alps.

Besides home, my next favorite place is Mackinac Island, Michigan. Please don't go, the place will get crowded.

Nice to hear the positive comments about Cape Cod and Maine. Like rothnh I am in MidCoast Maine and have lived on Cape Cod for many years back in the 80's. I guess the ocean calls to me. However IMO winter in Maine is not my idea of a fun time just like the summers in Texas must be a bit hot to you. I guess every location has its good points and bad. The only place I can say that I'd never grow tired of the weather would be Southern California but it's just too crowded for this guy. They have perfect pipe smoking weather all year round.  :D

Doc, I agree with the climate of Southern California. Coronado Island is a fairly quiet area. We really enjoyed an anniversary there.

Funny story: we were there in the winter and I took my wife to the beach below the hang gliders in San Diego. Being 60 degrees, the only other people on the beach were surfers in wetsuits. After walking for a bit, I told my wife I wanted to take her picture. She asked why and I told her we were on "Black Beach". So now I have a photo of my wife on a nude beach, although she is shivering and wearing my sport coat.

I've been up and down the west coast from Alaska to southern Baja Mexico. I think the most memorable time and place on earth was being a dozen miles out on the sea of Cortez in a little panga fishing for sailfish and dorado out of Loreto, BCS. We experienced everything from huge gamefish to sharks as big as the boat, enormous schools of dolfins, giant sea turtles following the boat, a sudden storm that left us in big dangerous swells, and standing on the beach of tiny uninhabited islands miles out to sea.

image50.jpg

nice dolphin!!!
I have been very fortunate in the fact that my father and I both love to fish and we have fished all over.
my favorite has to be costa rica. altought Puerto rico was awesome to. we just returned from VA. we were spec. trout fishing and had a great time with a local guide down there Dave Hester.

as for traveling the states, umm I could pass. there are some down south fishing trips I would love to do but that's about it. when I travel (funds depending) we like to go south ..... way south.

There are three fishing situations I've experienced that are equally amazing, if extremely different from each other. The pelagics in the Cortez, really big trout in the south fork Snake river in Idaho, and big, big bass from a set of very remote ponds on an old cattle ranch in northern California. In all cases the fish were amazingly big in comparison to other places where they are found, the spots were remote and extemely quiet, and the fish still required a good deal of skill and persistence in taking them. In this day and age, it's amazing that these places and these fish still exist.

There are still places in the states worth seeking out, though there seem to be fewer and fewer of them every year.

"a set of very remote ponds on an old cattle ranch in northern California"

PD, may I ask if that was the Llano Seco?  Just curious.

Richard Burley":ejezzct3 said:
"a set of very remote ponds on an old cattle ranch in northern California"

PD, may I ask if that was the Llano Seco?  Just curious.
No. A very large private working cattle ranch in the lowest foothills some distance east of Sacramento. Bout all the clues I'll give, as it's still mostly unspoiled by people, which of course is why it's still amazing. It is barely ever fished by anyone. We used to get on their from time to time because the ol boy that ran it was a friend of my buddies deceased father. That ol boy is gone now too, so I haven't been there in a few years, but I've driven by there and can see that it's still a lonely place, which makes my heart glad.

I've been very luck to travel quite a bit over my life.  It's this love of seeing and experiencing the other that influenced me to become a geographer.

For all the problems we humans may have with each other, it's a big, wide, beautiful world out there.  We're very lucky to be the sentient beings that get to stumble across the it. 

Natch

Visited many states and countries, saw a lot of great things, and met a lot of wonderful people over the years. Too many stories to tell.

Great topic though. I also like to live vicariously through others.

Perhaps I'll dig out my travel notes on a particularly interesting holiday I had in Scotland back in '01 while attending the Islay Whisky Fest. It's epic, if I do say so myself.........

:face: 

Cheers,

RR

J wrote:
I also have been to Black's Beach too many years ago (mid70s). We walked down a long winding rocky path to a fantastic beach that was below the Scripts Institute. Since it was a well known nude beach planes were flying over head and boats were hugging the shore. My memories were people hang gliding off the cliffs and it was no big deal if you walked around naked because most people were naked. Fortunately it was July and quite warm. My recollection is that it was called Black's Beach because it wasn't accessible to everyone.