Travel

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon

Reaction score
This is for the Americans here who ride planes--What kind of trouble have you run into trying to travel (leave the country) with pipes and tobaccos? The TSA website has no real information on tobacco regulation at all. I'll be traveling soon, for the first time out of country (second time in my life) and I don't know what to expect at all besides my own frustration.

Thanks in advance. :)

Bic type lighters, matches (not strike anywhere), cigar cutters, pipes, pipe tools, tobacco, all OK.
No torch lighters, no strike anywhere matches, no lighters or matches in checked bags.

As far as International; that's up to the place you're going. :?:

Hermit":e7dkfzlq said:
Bic type lighters, matches (not strike anywhere), cigar cutters, pipes, pipe tools, tobacco, all OK.
No torch lighters, no strike anywhere matches, no lighters or matches in checked bags.

As far as International; that's up to the place you're going. :?:
And the airline. I'm traveling with United and Lufthansa, and the latter allows no matches and only lighters with fully-absorbed liquid fuel but bans Zippos. I'll have to buy another IMCO when I arrive in Frankfurt.

If you're planning on carrying your 'baccy stash, check German customs for the allowable duty free amount. You probably will not be stopped, but you can be prepared tp pay if they do stop you.

HistoryMajor":ej7v5a5k said:
Yep...play it safe and don't take anything you don't want confiscated.
Also a great excuse to buy a new pipe and tobacco whilst in Germany!

Listen to an old man here...

Take A pipe and a little tobacco..

Your going to the motherland of Dan Pipe.. Where they sell little black and white pouches named Balken Sobranie in the duty free... Where Habanos are smoked in the parks.... A land of milk & honey....

Visit the shops, try tobaccos not easily available in the states, live a little. Don't be a Yank.

(And don't forget the USD is being clobbered by the Euros, and that the VAT hurts like a mofo)

puros_bran":5saaaf87 said:
Listen to an old man here...

Take A pipe and a little tobacco..

Your going to the motherland of Dan Pipe.. Where they sell little black and white pouches named Balken Sobranie in the duty free... Where Habanos are smoked in the parks.... A land of milk & honey....

Visit the shops, try tobaccos not easily available in the states, live a little. Don't be a Yank.

(And don't forget the USD is being clobbered by the Euros, and that the VAT hurts like a mofo)
I didn't mention how I was moving to Germany for 11 months. :shock: This would be great advice if I was just going for a vacation, but since I'm settling in I'll be taking everything. You've only just made me all the more anxious to go. :twisted: I've heard the VAT hurts, but the good thing is that it's not added at the counter, unlike American sales taxes.

Doc Manhattan":5saaaf87 said:
Also a great excuse to buy a new pipe and tobacco whilst in Germany!
As if I needed any excuse but money in my pocket. I'll be dipping back into Dunhills a couple months (reportedly) before the rest of you can, but I don't know if I'll get into the aromatics the way I've heard Germans do.

Ron":5saaaf87 said:
If you're planning on carrying your 'baccy stash, check German customs for the allowable duty free amount. You probably will not be stopped, but you can be prepared to pay if they do stop you.
250 grams--five tins' worth. I should be able to swing that.

Something else to consider....

ANYTHING you bring back to the states without proof of purchase in the states IS subject to duty... You are allowed an $800 exemption including up to 1 carton of smokes,or 20 cigars (non cuban) or (I can't remember the amount) pipe tobacco... And 1 liter of Alc. (Any more tobac or alc is dutied regardless)...

Most of the time I've came back they've asked a few questions and cut me loose... But I have been searched and questioned... Don't try to cheat AND be sure to have proof of purchase for anything you carry out of the States because that stuff is SUPPOSED to be exempt from customs.

Yeah I know about it. I'm looking forward to returning being 500x more difficult than leaving, for several reasons. A friend of mine went to Metallica concert while in Germany a month back and Customs even wiped the concert grime (which he wanted to keep) off of his tennis shoes.

What a travesty.

I've enjoyed the thread so far as i'm going to Germany in September for three weeks. Luckily however the Loonie is on the rise against the Euro! I will definetly have to pick up some baccy's any suggestions? :pipe:

More a favor than a suggestion.... Could you keep the Loonies in Canada...yall have let enough of them roam the globe... :D

Hunt down and download the Dan Pipe pdf... That's a real good place to start..it will show you some of the stuff not available here....

The current version of Three Nuns is a good place to start....

The 'brothers' in the Hamborg Veermaster series would be a hoot too.

Some of the Dan blends not available (at least not without ordering them yourself and paying out the tail in shipping) here look very enticing... There's a ton of various flakes in their catalog that I've drooled over for several years......

puros_bran":rlunbded said:
More a favor than a suggestion.... Could you keep the Loonies in Canada...yall have let enough of them roam the globe... :D

Hunt down and download the Dan Pipe pdf... That's a real good place to start..it will show you some of the stuff not available here....

Some of the Dan blends not available (at least not without ordering them yourself and paying out the tail in shipping) here look very enticing... There's a ton of various flakes in their catalog that I've drooled over for several years......
Found that PDF for anyone interested.

I can't wait to get into German tobaccos. The Dunhill's I've already mentioned (RY should be my first purchase if I don't see anything else interesting at the time), and I'll just have to get drooling over this catalog myself.

I say this with a bit of unease, I'm afraid I'm going to piss off the pipe gods....
Dunhills are over rated.

I can see where a man would want to see what all the hubbub is about, but it just seems such a waste to squander such an opurtunity.... But then again, you'll be there awhile.

I have a few tins of Dunhill setting in the celler... I'm still torn between selling it and buying stuff I enjoy or tossing it the mailbox and making a BoB smile real big....of course the longer I wait the bigger the check or smile will be.......

puros_bran":hm3i8tfc said:
I say this with a bit of unease, I'm afraid I'm going to piss off the pipe gods....
Dunhills are over rated.

I can see where a man would want to see what all the hubbub is about, but it just seems such a waste to squander such an opurtunity.... But then again, you'll be there awhile.

I have a few tins of Dunhill setting in the celler... I'm still torn between selling it and buying stuff I enjoy or tossing it the mailbox and making a BoB smile real big....of course the longer I wait the bigger the check or smile will be.......
Some Dunhills, definitely. Maybe most of them. But RY is wonderful. I've had several Dunhill blends and RY always did the trick for me. Right now I have some EMP and SMMedium, both of which I consider very average. 965 was pretty good, though, not worth getting excited about, I guess because I'm not a religious smoker of it which I've heard many people are.

And by no means will I squander any opportunity to get good tobacco not available in the States, unless you count going totally broke. :lol:

After looking through the Dan catalog, I wonder: are there much of any German blends that don't contain black cavendish? I hate that stuff.

puros_bran":mvkhxkmc said:

I'll try if you guys stop sewing maple leafs onto your luggage for better treatment! :cheers:

SmokeyTweed":3l1gnt1v said:
I'll try if you guys stop sewing maple leafs onto your luggage for better treatment! :cheers:
Now there's an idea...... :lol!:

There's plenty... I don't have my laptop available at the moment or I'd point some more out....

Cavendish is a style of tobacco, although its almost alwasy assumed to be goopy, a lot of times its not. There's cased and uncased cav... Brown cav,black cav, red cav.....
If unscented it usually just gives a slight toaty taste, and sometimes its just used as filler.... 965 had cav in it...Peter Stokkebye Bullseye has it... Ummm Briar Rabbit is mostly cav.... Plenty of good blends have cav....

Now if you mean that pg ladden goopy vanilla crap... Amen. Black cav sucks. :D

Something else to remember... You don't just represent yourself while there.. You represent all of America.. Its BS, I know, but its how your viewed... Most (not all) places on the globe realize the Government (of anywhere, not just here) hardly represents the people and don't hold you accountable for what the morons in DC do.
Try to consider the hosts worldview before opening your mouth.... Its hard but sometimes you just have to grin and nod...

And yes I know you know all this, I'm just reminding you..

I will definitely have to pick up some baccies; any suggestions?
As I see you like Sweet Killarney, you can try the Dan version of Three Nuns, the great prototype of Virginia-and-Périque tobaccoes.

And you might enjoy good old Gold Block, as well as Capstan, Yellow and Blue.

All are Imperial selections no longer available in the US.

But look at this video about a pipe shop in Köln [Cologne]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/31-D3GiD_M4" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>