Travel

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or even in smaller provincial towns like Essen:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WLk-4En0p30" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Or Bergheim, near Köln:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JXGmBTHEHF8" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yo Eulie, Thank you for posting these wonderful pipe shops, they all had my mouth watering, and what's left of my brain ' dancing with sugar plums', Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

Oh!,If I get a chance to visit Germany someday I would just die like an ant in a sugar bowl if I was in any one of those stores.So nice...............
Einestages............ :)

Winslow :sunny:

Man, if I wasn't so far from them. I'll be in Germersheim, between Heidelberg and the French border (actually only about 20mi from Alsace), and checking the train ticket prices for a trip to any of these towns tells me it will be one-time visits to all of them, and probably in one day owing to how close they are to one another.

Also, Here's a list of German tobacco shops on the website of a German online pipe-smoking community. It's been helpful to me to find shops near to where I'm staying.

Man, if I wasn't so far from them

Germany is slightly smaller than Montana. In American terms, nothing is really "far" there.

Anyway, you will be at more or less equal short distance from Heidelberg (legendary university full of pipe-smoking professors), Mannheim, and Karlsruhe, all important (and lovely) cities in the Palatinate of the Rhine. Surely there must be good pipe shops there, as much as in lowly Bergheim or Essen!

You can probably use sub-urban transport to get there. Or get some car-owning chum to take you. You are 20-years-old! Borrow or steal a bike! :cheers:

Eulenburg":x2lbokcw said:
Man, if I wasn't so far from them

Germany is slightly smaller than Montana. In American terms, nothing is really "far" there.

Anyway, you will be at more or less equal short distance from Heidelberg (legendary university full of pipe-smoking professors), Mannheim, and Karlsruhe, all important (and lovely) cities in the Palatinate of the Rhine. Surely there must be good pipe shops there, as much as in lowly Bergheim or Essen!

You can probably use sub-urban transport to get there. Or get some car-owning chum to take you. You are 20-years-old! Borrow or steal a bike! :cheers:
Well, how far they are to me is defined by the train ticket prices, which to Essen and thereabouts are between 60 and 90 Euro, depending upon the speed, and the least expensive take about 4.5 hours. I want to take half the business day just traveling there! Just hopping buses would not be a bad idea. The nearest tobacco shops (listed on DAFT's website) are in Frankenthal, Mannheim/Ludwigshafen, and Darmstadt. Searching "Pfeifen" and "Tabak" in Businesses in Google Earth around my area has brought up a few places as well.

Cool stuff...enjoy still being allowed to smoke inside in Germany! Not sure if it's on a per city/county basis, but as far as I know, Berlin is still smoker friendly!

...how far they are to me is defined by the train ticket prices...

There is an Euro Rail Pass which, once you puchase it, gets you into any and all trains for nothing. Investigate that, perhaps?

A Eurail pass for Germany only, in the lowest denomination for a traveler under 25 (second-class seat on any trains, any four days over a maximum span of two months) is $216. For an extra $75, you get France and Germany. It's a good value if you're doing long-haul point-to-point transit, but probably excessive for day-trips.

I am an arithmetical moron, but it would depend on how many day trips one takes, right?

Eulenburg":9yfw0cdb said:
I am an arithmetical moron, but it would depend on how many day trips one takes, right?
In theory, sure, but it's only good on four calendar days, so practically we're talking 4 round trips. ~$50 a round trip amortised--not awful, but not a pittance. And if one of those falls by the wayside, you're still out the entire price of the ticket. Don't get me wrong: I'm a big Eurail fan, rode across three large countries on one myself, but it's a big layout of cash upfront, so it pays to do the math and (as always) caveat emptor.

Doing the math is always good thing....
And he hasn't specified why he is going there for 11 months...
But 4 days out of 2 month would be worth it if for no other reason than to stare out the window onto a foriegn soil...

Live,See,Explore,Do....Soak it in like its your very lifesblood... When you become a tired old married man and a father those memorys will sustain you. The time of telling storys about what you used to do instead of doing things you'll tell storys about is fast approaching, don't waste what you have, how many among us have not said "aww to be 20 again".....

Oh, and don't forget to expend effort on a lil German girl :D :D :D :D (yeah I know, shame on me)

Doc Manhattan":cw1m380z said:
Eulenburg":cw1m380z said:
In theory, sure, but it's only good on four calendar days, so practically we're talking 4 round trips. ~$50 a round trip amortised--not awful, but not a pittance. And if one of those falls by the wayside, you're still out the entire price of the ticket. Don't get me wrong: I'm a big Eurail fan, rode across three large countries on one myself, but it's a big layout of cash upfront, so it pays to do the math and (as always) caveat emptor.
And this is why I wouldn't plan on getting one. I get a day off in November, two weeks for Christmas, and three weeks between Semesters in February. I'd just be making day trips on the weekends, and probably not very often or very far. I definitely do plan on going to Berlin on November 9 to see the 20th-anniversary Fall of the Wall celebration/festival. Anything other than that will be determined whenever.

Here's a description of how Railpasses work and some Railpass options for Germany which all look to be as or more expensive than list price, still being pretty expensive for the time being.

PB":cw1m380z said:
Live,See,Explore,Do....Soak it in like its your very lifesblood... When you become a tired old married man and a father those memorys will sustain you. The time of telling storys about what you used to do instead of doing things you'll tell storys about is fast approaching, don't waste what you have, how many among us have not said "aww to be 20 again".....
It's kind of refreshing to see the same kind of talk coming from a tired old married man as from the people I've talked to or heard talking at me about their own study abroad experience. (That's what I'm doing. A year of studying abroad because one semester wouldn't have lined up well with the semester schedule here Stateside.) Even if you omit "Oh my God"s and "Shit, dude"s.

PB":cw1m380z said:
Oh, and don't forget to expend effort on a lil German girl
Maybe, maybe not. Where I'm going gets a lot of international students from all around, so it may as well be a Romanian or Greek or Russian or Turkish or Irish girl. Whichever of these don't care about looks or not smelling like tobacco, facts I've yet to find in any travel guide. Plus, I like girls who can shelf.

puros_bran":92nda74m said:
Doing the math is always good thing....
And he hasn't specified why he is going there for 11 months...
But 4 days out of 2 month would be worth it if for no other reason than to stare out the window onto a foriegn soil...

Oh, and don't forget to expend effort on a lil German girl :D :D :D :D (yeah I know, shame on me)
Good advice from a wise old man.