Tree Frog.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Tree Frog. Yup. Only exciting cause he and I have been "talking" back and forth for over ten years. Or maybe his progeny. Whatever. I've looked casually and hard. He'd croak. I'd do my best imitation. He's answer. I'd answer back, etc., etc., etc. My wife thought it was totally weird. I loved it.

So anyway, while out mowing the back forty I passed one of the Arborvitae that took a dive due to one of our ice storms...and there he was, just sitting there. So I walked into the house all cool and casual, grabbed my iPad and went out and took a few pics.

Surprised me...he's Copper!

:scratch:  I can't help thinking I've seen his image on a can of tobacco somewhere. Anyhow, he looks like a fine fellow, and no matter what anyone tells you, it's OK to converse with a frog. What or whom you talk to is not important; what's important is what is said. The question does come up, though, did you lower yourself to his intellectual level or did he rise to yours? Or vice-versa, as the case may be.

I thought I was the only crazy one, I have a Chameleon, Mockingbird, Roadrunner and used to have a Toad that I'd carry on conversations with regularly that live around my property. Neat Tree Frog sir. ;)

Morton, nice!

His voice is as valid as any you may hear. In contrast to most you may converse with, he has learned to adapt to his environment and lives simply. A wise fellow.

I would bet there is a regional version of:

http://arkansasfrogsandtoads.org/  

Go to the Frog Calls page and you can get a recording of every frog and toad in my area.  I'm going to my last my last Master Naturalist class to become a "certified" FrogWatcher for a national data program.  (I'm sure if I put that on my business card it will open any door?).

Just found the Oregon Frogwatch site:  https://www.aza.org/frogwatch-usa-oregon

Frog identification is a lot like bird identification, knowing their songs is a much more positive ID than seeing them as some distance.  

Natch

Here's something I never thought I'd hear myself saying on the BoB.... nice frog. :D

Yeah...my baby.

Though the links on Natch’s site didn’t work for me I did use the species names provided to match photos and discovered my little beauty is a “Cascade Frog”. For those of you not familiar with my local geography, Cascade refers to the volcanic mountain range that runs north-south in western Oregon (and Washington and Northern California. The infamous Mt. St. Helens volcano in Washington is part of the Cascades.

Love to see frogs. I didn't see this thread when you originally started it. When I was a kid, our window wells were filled with them. Tens and tens of them. I could spend an hour every day catching them and releasing them out further in the yard. Next day, repeat. People knew I liked frogs so much that they would give me frog figurines for gifts. By the time I graduated high school, we never had a single frog in our window wells. I never saw them in the yard, down by the creek, or anywhere. It was night and day in the matter of a decade. From many many, to zero. So when they started reporting our amphibian population was dying off, I believed them. I had witnessed it for myself. It makes me sad. Glad some of you still get the pleasure of seeing them.