Troost pipe tobacco attracts hornets.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, no story....I was just out in the yard smoking a bowl of Troost. Thoroughly enjoying myself. For once, it wasn't over a hundred degrees. Then one, then two, then 6 hornets came a buzzing around me. It was quite disconcerting. Never had that happen before when smoking a pipe. Admittedly, I'm not 100% sure it was the Troost, but it DID happen and it WAS quite weird (plus a tad scary!)

:)

So I suppose tomorrow you'll need to have your bowl of Troost in one hand, can of RAID in t'other! ;-)

Yeah....lighter, tamper, and Raid :)

The odd thing was I was sitting on the step at first, then moved over by the fence when they came around. They found me again!

The fact that they hunted me down across the yard leads me to believe it was the Troost :)

I just grabbed the last pouch of Special Cavendish from a Maryland shop yesterday. Great tobacco priced right! But, I have not experienced any insect attacks!

There's gotta be some way to combine this knowlege with this thread (https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t13469-fooling-a-digger-wasp) for even more stinging insect fun!

Weird!!!!!!! My experience with mosquitos is that pipe and cigar smoke is a definite deterrent.

I plan to drum up some insect attacks this evening on the patio with my Boswell freehand.

That's funny, the same thing happened to me at work with a bowl of Tillbury. Couldn't get the thing to leave me alone, it was aggressive.

I'm a quite certain at this point that hornets are attracted to the smell of some burning pipe tobacco. The episode with the Troost was repeated. It isn't like they're trying to get a hit off the pipe or anything, but the smell does make them curious.

By the way, the Troost is quite delicious, especially when allowing it to air dry for a full day.

If I was a hornet, I'd go check it out too :)