Trying to decide between 2 savinelli pipes.. can anyone help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alrightdriver

Reaction score
I'm looking at 2 savinelli pipes a trevi 311 ks and a trevi 320 ks.. I'm having a hard time deciding. I really like the look of both, they have the exact same price of 80 bucks. Can anyone help me decide, sorta like a pros and cons kind of thing?

alrightdriver":gq12l9bd said:
I'm looking at 2 savinelli pipes a trevi 311 ks and a trevi 320 ks.. I'm having a hard time deciding. I really like the look of both, they have the exact same price of 80 bucks. Can anyone help me decide, sorta like a pros and cons kind of thing?
I prefer a wider bowl to catch more flavor nuances, so I'd go with the 320KS.

that was the way I was leaning, But I also really like the poker shape along with the flat bottom. thanks for the input. does the wider bowl really make that much difference? most of the pipes I have currently have fairly skinny bowls compared to the 320.

I own two of the 320KS Savinelli's and enjoy them both. I too much prefer the wider bowl, especially with some of my Flake blends. 
Hope this helps with your decision, good luck  :cheers: 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

well that is 2 votes for the 320, I guess the wider bowl does make a difference, and that is what i love about this hobby, I am constantly learning something new. I really want both of them but funds dictate only one at this time. That just means I will probably end up grabbing the 320, and then get the poker later on. I guess I am one of those "normal" pipe smokers in the fact that I want a nice collection eventually. I currently smoke mostly cobs, but I also have a hardcastle, a tinderbox lord jeff, and a small carved meer.. I spend entierly too much time researching pipes lol, and have a list of want to buy eventually pipes.

I just purchased a 2016 Saint Nicholas 320 today. I had a different 320 a few years ago and really liked it. I regretted selling it, so this is finally the replacement. Never had their 311, but I'm sure it would be nice also.

I've had both 320 KS and the 311 KS. I still have the 320 and smoke it frequently. As much as I liked he poker shape, it just didn't smoke as well for me.

That leads me to what the motto of Stokers' Haven back in the day: Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. In other words, choose the one that speaks to you because pipes are a very personal thing.

Good luck in your choosing. :D

I have a 311 and it’s a very handy little sitter. Took some break in time, but it’s doing fine. If you smoke a lot of fine and medium ribbon cuts, I’d go this way.

FYI, if you check the Missouri Meerschaum site, they sell a Dagner design of the 311 that’s a cob. Sometimes SP has them. Price is reasonable. I was traveling last week and this little cob poker was an amiable companion.

About the 320 — I don’t think I’ve ever met a piper who doesn’t like the look of this pipe. But it is heavy, if you’re a clenched and that matters to you. Purely personal — one of my pipe biases is that certain pipes visually work best on certain pipers. You know, Bing Crosby and his sleek billiards. The 320, I think, requires a piper of ample girth and a substantial beard. Santa probably smokes a 320 on his annual journey.

Just my opinion on the matter. I hope your choice makes you happy.

Thanks for the help in deciding everyone. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 320. I will probably by the 311 in the future to use as a flake and vaper pipe, but the comments about the 320 being better for english blends sold me on it this round, as that was what I intended to smoke out of it mainly. I grabbed the pipe a couple tins of some new to me tobacco. Again, thanks for the help in deciding. I may check out the mm poker in the meantime as a sort of tide me over till I am able to buy another briar. I am all about the savinelli's and until I have satisfied that demon I have at least to more sav's I want. the 311 and bings favorite.

I only have one Sav and it's a 320. The only Sav that for me smoked worth a damn.
Oh! And all I smoke in it is Vaper, Escudo to be a fact.
And I'd buy another one at a drop of a hat but, that's the only Sav I'd buy. ;)

What HE said^^^^^^^!!
I own 4 Savinelli pipes and 2 are 320KS, one of which is a 
Savinelli Punto Oro 320 KS Natural which was gifted to me by a Dr friend who visited Savinelli while in italy  its a natural punto oro that cost him over $325.00  does not smoke any better then my much less expenpsive 320KS  
My opinion, Savinelli makes many styles but the 320KS is a superb smoker...:cheers::cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Cartaphilus":ooqn4tld said:
I only have one Sav and it's a 320. The only Sav that for me smoked worth a damn.
Oh! And all I smoke in it is Vaper, Escudo to be a fact.
And I'd buy another one at a drop of a hat but, that's the only Sav I'd buy. ;)
Yes! And you know what, the Trevi 320KS, cheapest of the lot in my rotation, is also the best smoker:lol:

It's the 320 from me AD. Had to look them both up but it's the chubby looker that would get my vote, no contest.

[Damn it, that's another to add to my wish list].

SpeedyPete":p37mnbnn said:
Yes! And you know what, the Trevi 320KS, cheapest of the lot in my rotation, is also the best smoker:lol:
I totally agree!! I posted earlier what I was smoking and the 320KS Trevi was my choice. It smokes as good if not better than my 320KS natural punto oro which was recently purchased for me in Italy @ the cost of  $325.00.  
STICK......get yourself a 320KS Trevi for about $80.00 or less

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Late to the party here, but I'm not familiar with the 311. However I do have an estate Sav Punto Oro 320 that is one of my favourite smokers. Also have a few other 320's that I enjoy a lot - a Tevere and a Sistina.

Plus a Brebbia Sun which is meer lined. And have 2 fantastic Ron Powell chubby authors that are the schiznet! Seems to be a go-to shape for me.

Lonecoyote":8r034wx8 said:
Agree. SP has a wide selection of these.

Cheers,

RR

While I don’t own a Savinelli 320 or 311 for that matter I do own the Dunhill equivalent, the DK which is also called the Author and I have one of Trever Talbert’s Goblins also in the Author shape, it is a fine pipe in every respect smoking flakes, my most often smoked tobaccos, shags, and coins either as such or cut from ropes, I doubt you’ll be unhappy with a 320, cheers.
banjo

Brewdude":byu76j8c said:
Late to the party here, but I'm not familiar with the 311. However I do have an estate Sav Punto Oro 320 that is one of my favourite smokers. Also have a few other 320's that I enjoy a lot - a Tevere and a Sistina.

Plus a Brebbia Sun which is meer lined. And have 2 fantastic Ron Powell chubby authors that are the schiznet! Seems to be a go-to shape for me.

Lonecoyote":byu76j8c said:
Agree. SP has a wide selection of these.

Cheers,

RR
Stone the crows, that dark author with the rusticated finish is a fine looking briar and is right up my strasse.  Cracking value too on SP. £60 sterling (without postage).

Mmmmm, time to hatch a plan....

Lonecoyote":fd8gnwbs said:
SpeedyPete":fd8gnwbs said:
I totally agree!! I posted earlier what I was smoking and the 320KS Trevi was my choice. It smokes as good if not better than my 320KS natural punto oro which was recently purchased for me in Italy @ the cost of  $325.00.  

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
$320.00 ?? you can get that same pipe for $100.00 less from SP!! Did you get it from the Savinelli store in Italy or was it signed by Achilles Savinelli ?  :twisted: :twisted: I have a plain shell finished 320ks Punto oro which is one of the finest smoking pipes I have but then ALL 8 of my PO's are like that !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":0vwfcqyx said:
$320.00 ?? you can get that same pipe for $100.00 less from SP!! Did you get it from the Savinelli store in Italy or was it signed by Achilles Savinelli ?  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I have a plain shell finished 320ks Punto oro which is one of the finest smoking pipes I have but then ALL 8 of my PO's are like that !!
It was purchased for me as a gift by a doctor friend directly from the Savinelli store in Italy. Smokingpipes has the exact pipe for sale. Below is a picture....

A54osLt.jpg" style="width: 600px;height: 400px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!