Two old cobs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Today I broke out two of my more than 70 y/o, guesstimate anyway if someone can date them better I'd be happy to hear it, cobs. The first is from Irwin S. Cobb and it has a black decal with yellow, wooden insert at bottom of the bowl and bent amber colored plastic stem. The shank is diamond shaped made from wood but imprinted to appear to be from a cob, the metal cap is chrome plated and some rust appears on it, I am smoking Luxury Navy Flake in it, I only take these out when humidity is perfect, little to no wind and I have time to enjoy them.

The second is from Missouri Meerschaum and the decal is yellow with black script, the model is Radio printed in red. The bottom is wooden plugged, the shank is diamond shaped but it is from a cob, the metal cap appears to be NS, the stem is heavy grade amber colored plastic with an aluminum tenon, I am smoking Luxury Navy Flake in it as well. Cheers and keep it smokey!
banjo

726351e549bb5e25ec902e28da4f7a993109274.jpeg

d7d35e904e7b5ca8e2f722c1d507f92edc994d0.jpeg

Banjo, the Radio pipe from MM was only in production from the 1930's to the very early 1960's. From the description of it it sounds like an earlier model. I'm sure if you contact Marilyn at MM she would be able to narrow it down more than I can. They are great pipes.

As to the Irving S Cobb my best guess would be 1930's-50's. MM bought them out I believe in the 80's but that style was long out of production by then.

Jim

Thanks for that information it kind of went with what I was thinking, these are special to me and I treat them like my most expensive pipes to ensure a long life. Cheers.
banjo

huffelpuff":hb4vlbby said:
Banjo, the Radio pipe from MM was only in production from the 1930's to the very early 1960's. From the description of it it sounds like an earlier model. I'm sure if you contact Marilyn at MM she would be able to narrow it down more than I can. They are great pipes.

As to the Irving S Cobb my best guess would be 1930's-50's. MM bought them out I believe in the 80's but that style was long out of production by then.

Jim

I'm lucky enough to have one myself. Pretty sure that mines an Irving from your description. It smokes like a dream. Treated well they should last several lifetimes.

I will photograph them together and broken down. I think others may find them of interest.
banjo

huffelpuff":hvaa6sgf said:
I'm lucky enough to have one myself. Pretty sure that mines an Irving from your description. It smokes like a dream. Treated well they should last several lifetimes.

Mine was in horrible shape when I got it. I had to replaster sections of the shank (pretty much the whole thing). Unfortunately there's just not enough of the label left for me to know for sure which one it is. The shank is cob but the metal cap is definitely cheap nickel plated steel. The stem is very soft lightweight Amber plastic with no metal fittings at all.

Absolutely would love to get a better look at yours. I'm sure others will find it quite informative as well.

Jim

These photos might help.
banjo

Irwin S Cobb on top in all photos:

Side view

4431514c55e12bdf60549b679094b13c16977fa.jpeg

Bottom view

383252946a586ebc2fbd1872499f599edfaf9e7.jpeg

Stems removed

8ab35c75466a5494eba12312d761e0173c928cf.jpg

huffelpuff":gwcnviw3 said:
Mine was in horrible shape when I got it. I had to replaster sections of the shank (pretty much the whole thing). Unfortunately there's just not enough of the label left for me to know for sure which one it is. The shank is cob but the metal cap is definitely cheap nickel plated steel. The stem is very soft lightweight Amber plastic with no metal fittings at all.

Absolutely would love to get a better look at yours. I'm sure others will find it quite informative as well.

Jim

Most helpful indeed. Looks like mine is definitely an Irving. Not sure when they would have used the cob shank. I'll try and get a pic of what's left of the label when I get home.

I certainly don't have that distinctive hump where the shank enters the bowl like the MM has

Wow, that looks like the bowl is from Irwin, the label as well, it might be a much older version of my Irwin since the stem looks more rugged but it has the same cap as mine. Why this model of pipe, and the Bulldog version, are no longer made astounds me.
banjo

My understanding is they haven't had cobs large enough to even think about these shapes in 30 years. Only recently have they started making bigger pipes again. Like the Mark Twain one they're doing now.

FTRPLT thank you sir. Banjos look like they came out of a museum. Mine was bought knowing it was going to need a full on rebuilding. If you look closely the shank on mine had lost all most all of its plaster fills. One wrong tweak of the material and it would have snapped. The area where it joins the bowl was also badly deteriorated and took many layers of fill material. Now and again you'll see other badly abused ones on the Bay. Some can be fixed and brought back to like others are just too far gone but might provide you with parts.

Jim

Cracking looking pipes Banjo. It's got me to thinking that my next pipe ought to be a cob as I'm yet to own one.

Here's the whole kit. I have been asked on many occasions to post photos of my pipe collect, no easy feat I must say. I have decided I can at l at least post my cobs, cheers.
banjo

b3135d0a483558ace0512955deee6d2f49642aa.jpeg

4db255e4f05a2e3c249d54a8466bb763a37eb0e.jpeg

c361594a59e320de7e196b03e2fd6ea6d140e27.jpeg

Very impressive cobs you have there banjo. Very impressive indeed. Including and especially the Irwin and MM diamond shanks. First time I've seen a cob used for the shank and it's the perfect addition to the bowl. You lucky dog, you!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

Just shows if you take care of something it can last a lifetime! Wonderful collection you have there. Very nice............

Jim,
  I just laid those pipes up against my MM Cobbit and find very little difference in the overall size, in fact if anything the Cobbit is slightly larger.
banjo

huffelpuff":s9j0137v said:
My understanding is they haven't had cobs large enough to even think about these shapes in 30 years. Only recently have they started making bigger pipes again. Like the Mark Twain one they're doing now.

FTRPLT thank you sir. Banjos look like they came out of a museum. Mine was bought knowing it was going to need a full on rebuilding. If you look closely the shank on mine had lost all most all of its plaster fills. One wrong tweak of the material and it would have snapped. The area where it joins the bowl was also badly deteriorated and took many layers of fill material. Now and again you'll see other badly abused ones on the Bay. Some can be fixed and brought back to like others are just too far gone but might provide you with parts.

Jim

I got in the habit of "rounding up" tobacco orders by sometimes adding a cob. It looks like I should have begun this practice earlier. But I do have a few cobs that are at least 25 years old and are still in good shape. With a bit of caution, they're surprisingly durable.

I have a cob bulldog with a diamond shaped shank and yellow stem, same as yours. The "shank ring/fitting" is 14ct gold plated. It smokes latakia like a champ.