Two reviews of Hal O' The Wind

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlock999

Reaction score
In the most recent edition of Pipes and Tobaccos, one reviewer describes Hal O' The Wind as "almost impossible to overheat, even with vigorous puffing". The next reviewer says it's "easy to provoke to overheat because of the thin cut".

This is why I find tobacco reviews interesting to read, but ultimately irrelevant when it comes to deciding what will work for me. Just my opinion.

The next review is of JKP. To one reviewer, it "presented flavors of forest loam(!), black pepper, turbinado sugar and smoked meat". The next called it "fruity". :roll:

Yeah, tobaccoreviews.com is like a box of chocolates.
I start by scrollin' down to see what Pipestud had to say. :lol:

Is that a woodsy, peppery box of chocolates or a fruity , sugary box of chocolates? ;)

I agree, you have to just read the opinion of someone you know and respect on TR. I use it more as a big dictionary, just to find the basic components of a particular blend.

The reviews are a lot of: "I usually only smoke Capt Black and love it. Couldn't get any at Walgreens so I decided to try some that SG FVF from the overpriced tobacco shop on the other side of town. This stuff is nothing like Capt Black. Total crap. Dumped the tin and bought a pack of Newports. Thumbs down!!! The tin is pretty handy though so I kept it."

There are a half dozen people who have similar taste to mine. So when im looking at something new I look for there reviews first.

Nate,
My method of reviewing baccy is basically the same as yours. I know folks that post and have a similar liking for tobaccos as I do, and those are the tobaccos I might try. Having an overabundance of fine leaf that's been stored for 20+ years, there's not much out there that excites me.
Doc

Hermit":vsg30n0n said:
I start by scrollin' down to see what Pipestud had to say. :lol:
Hey, me too! I find Steve's tastes in Virginias and most latakia blends are similar to mine, and I often check out his reviews along with a few others I trust.

Natch

Hal "O" the wind to me was a good smoke, not strong or mild but, pleasurable without bite no matter what I did. No Burley in this as someone else stated in the reviews.
Not enough Perique for me and had a off and on perfume flavor come through is the best I can describe it. Like kissing grandmas cheek.
Didn't blow my skirt up but, was a good smooth smoke. Just my worthless 2 cents and change.

If you read enough tobaccoreviews you find guys whose tastes in genres of tobacco somewhat mirror your own and they have smoked a lot of them and know what they're talking about. You can ignore most of the reviews, but it's still useful to look at what the status quo thinks about a given blend, in that if 40 people out of 50 love the stuff chances are it's not bad.

I really like DK for straight Va's and RCUSElder for Lat blends. Both those guys have good palates and generally regard tobacco about the way I do, but we sometimes disagree.

Pipe smoking -- where the inmates run the asylum.

An example here is Monbla enjoys Prairie Wind. It just isn't my cuppa. The dressing they use leaves me cold. I don't think he's that fond of LNF and its my goto tobacco. Make either of us live on the other's stash and we'd probably take up cigars. Yet we both claim to enjoy Virginia tobacco a lot.

Now, if you want to talk pipe styles. We might be closer to lock step.

JKenP":m22437wf said:
Pipe smoking -- where the inmates run the asylum.

An example here is Monbla enjoys Prairie Wind.  It just isn't my cuppa.  The dressing they use leaves me cold.  I don't think he's that fond of LNF and its my goto tobacco.  Make either of us live on the other's stash and we'd probably take up cigars. Yet we both claim to enjoy Virginia tobacco a lot.

Now, if you want to talk pipe styles. We might be closer to lock step.
Good point JKen. I check out the TR site to just read how folks describe blends ie "...tastes like Spanish leather with a slight note of crysathemum and sunflowers all with a lovely room note of Lavender" WTF !!! :twisted:  It's some of the best comedy one could read !!! As far as HOW tatses today I could not say as it's been over 30 years since I smoked any and that was back when Rattray's blends were still made in Scotland ! I was not a big fan of Va's at that time so I did not really "take" to it. I might have to try some of the new stuff made these days :twisted: 

MisterE":342vjtg4 said:
The reviews are a lot of:  "I usually only smoke Capt Black and love it. Couldn't get any at Walgreens so I decided to try some that SG FVF from the overpriced tobacco shop on the other side of town. This stuff is nothing like Capt Black. Total crap. Dumped the tin and bought a pack of Newports. Thumbs down!!! The tin is pretty handy though so I kept it."
Yes! And they give it 1 star. Latakia reviews are the worst. There needs to be a weighted score for whether a style is a typical favorite. And weigh that lightly against all others.

There is wisdom in numbers but some "sleeper" blends only have a few reviews.

Harlock999":ro3p86f1 said:
This is why I find tobacco reviews interesting to read, but ultimately irrelevant when it comes to deciding what will work for me. Just my opinion.
Reviews are valuable, but a single review is not. We're looking for a pattern.

Of course sometimes this pattern can be deceptive as I find that tobacco reviewers can sometimes have a "me too" mindset. Having said that, more often than not, if you have a tobacco with a 3 or 4 star rating and a lot of folks are pretty much saying the same thing, the information is probably at least reasonably good.

You do need volume though so just because something has 1 or 4 stars, it's not particularly meaningful is your sample size is 4 reviews long.

As an interesting side note, while I feel that 2 and 3 star tobaccos with a significant sample size usually deserve their rating, I admit to sometimes finding 4 star reviewed tobaccos overrated (having cracked a tin of old Dark Fired last night, I can say with confidence that it's not one of them however because it is outstanding!) but perhaps this is just me having too high an expectation.

When it comes to 1 star reviews they're also not as bad as one would expect, but the reviews can be quite entertaining. If I need a chuckle, all I need to do it give the reviews for Borkum Riff Whiskey a read. Is it good stuff? No, I've tried it and it is most certainly nothing I'd ever buy again. Is it as obscenely disgusting as the reviews would have you believe, again you will survive with your tongue intact and you won't need counseling to overcome the trauma of the event of smoking it.

Hermit":7gdrck0p said:
Mixed nuts.   :twisted:
Exactly.  

Or "open mic night" at a small town Burger King.  Once in a very rare while something will surprise you, but you gotta sneak in a flask to find it.   :lol: There's also a reason why the Louvre doesn't have an online "Be The Art Critic!" poll, either.   Everyone's entitled, but not everyone's qualified.    

Number- or star-rating systems are ridiculous because most people have no idea how to use them (or, certainly know how to abuse them!)  Amazon.com is a great example, where the shipping was a day late and a disgruntled consumer rates the product with 1 star soon thereafter.  Or, if you hate Borkum Riff, and are a TR.com reviewer, and you've only tried one, you happily rate (or write a fake review) of all the other flavors because "you just know."   Very scientific.  There's McClelland- or MacBaren-hating trolls that just skip from blend to blend writing whatever they can with one star in protest, and I doubt these fellas have smoked as many as they claim.

I've read interesting essays on modern online and other rating systems...after a period of time, every product, service or "thing" being rated will average exactly in the middle of any rating system.  The magic number is "100," according to most, wherein fewer than 100 "votes" or ratings gives a less-than-accurate view, and more than 100 dilutes the results.  

Rating and "voice your opinion" sites:  unless it's naturally humorous (not some clown practicing his comedy routine) or in a forum where subjects can be discussed and an exchange had, almost totally useless.   Its dirty cousin is the comments section following blog posts or news aritcles.  Which can be accidentally roaring funny at times.  :heart:  

8)

Hermit":8ir2iqsx said:
I start by scrollin' down to see what Pipestud had to say.   :lol:

I wish I could go to pipestud's profile, look at his review list and by clicking the link of tobacco be taken directly to his review. It only takes you to the top of the list of reviews which can be a pain if there's 247 reviews and only 20 per page. But alas, I lament.

juanmedusa":o3mcszyb said:
I wish I could go to pipestud's profile, look at his review list and by clicking the link of tobacco be taken directly to his review. It only takes you to the top of the list of reviews which can be a pain if there's 247 reviews and only 20 per page. But alas, I lament.
A while ago when the site was under going through some mods, I received an email asking for input on how they could improve. Some sort of filtering system was my first suggestion. No dice. I think that would take a MAJOR overhaul.

Storm_Crow":su2frccq said:
I admit to sometimes finding 4 star reviewed tobaccos overrated (having cracked a tin of old Dark Fired last night, I can say with confidence...
I read this far and thought you were about to talk smack about ODF. I am a fan, and I was smoking it this morning while doing bulletin edits. I was startled by how good it was. There are lots of things I like, but ODF is probably at the point where I will always have a tin open and a tin in reserve.

Hermit":gbxv7ls8 said:
Just for laughs I went to see how many reviews Pipestud has done. It is 993. He only gives a few 1-star ratings. Borkum Riff Whiskey was one of them.

If you go to the advanced search option on the right of the homepage, you can select reviewer. Type in pipestud and view just his reviews. There might be another way to do this...

Fr_Tom":ciyw0hun said:
Hermit":ciyw0hun said:
Just for laughs I went to see how many reviews Pipestud has done. It is 993. He only gives a few 1-star ratings. Borkum Riff Whiskey was one of them.
D'OH!

homer.gif

Cheers,

RRE