Uhle's Blend 303: One Word -YES!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarterHallJunkie

Reaction score
I have realized something in the last few weeks about my tobacco palate - 1. I have a hard time not getting tongue bite from most, not all, VaPers and 2. I'm addicted to Latakia.

I mean the when I'm away from my pipe for too long all I can think about it getting back and firing up a bowl of something with a strong latakia punch addicted.

My blends of choice have been:
G.L. Pease - Chelsea Morning
Cornell & Diehl - Morley's Best

and tonight I discovered Uhle's Blend 303

Maybe it's the addition of the Black Cavendish or the Turkish, but this blend is just FULL of flavor - and that flavor shoves the Latakia to the forefront keeping me extremely happy. :D

I'm thinking this is going straight into the rotation!

Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Keep puffin'

I agree wholeheartedly about 303.
Uhle's English and Burley blends are fantastic. Glad to see another connoisseur of fine leaf.
Enjoy
Doc

docwatson":a8cym16d said:
Uhle's English and Burley blends are fantastic. Glad to see another connoisseur of fine leaf.
Enjoy
Doc

Thanks Doc! Any other specific Uhle blends you would recommend?

Yes, Bishop's Move is a fine lat. blend, and 303 is also great. Although I'm more a Virginia than a burley smoker, I don't think anyone has more skill with cubed burley than Uhle's. It's a fine, old shop right down on Wisconsin Ave. next to the Milwaukee River (which they've renovated that entire area and it's a delightful place now). Worth a visit if you're ever in the Milwaukee area. And just down the street is Maders, a great German restaurant.

By the by, the original Uhle back in the 1930s was turned onto latakia by a tobacco distributor, and he was known to say that a little latakia helps most any blend.

Natch

Besides Blend 303 I also tend to smoke a lot of:

Blend 71: A classic medium blend, boasting the flavors of a medium-well done steak, this blend is the Uhle’s patriarch of English blends. A solid blend to sink your pipe into.Ingredients: Latakia, Perique, Turkish and Burley.

Bishop’s Move: Rich, smoky and meaty, Bishop’s Move offers a satisfying endeavor into traditional English blends. Ingredients: Virginia, Latakia, Perique, and Burley.

And for a light aromatic: Blend 255: Slow-burning, this lighter aromatic smokes earthy with a subtle hint of licorice.Ingredients: Cube-cut burley with Cavendish.“This blend was created in 1937.

I do wish the Smoke-shop / Tobacconist stores would came back to a mall near me,

This waiting on samples thru the mail is killing me. :cry:

255 is what my late Pap smoked exclusively when I was a lad. Never any other, and it's what I started on in my pipe journey in the 90's.

Still enjoy it occasionally. I figured if it was good enough for my Pap it was good enough for me!

Used to live in the Mil, WI area and have been to Uhles many times. Fine tobbaconist.

Cheers,

RR

Mikem":eh4txo6m said:
Besides Blend 303 I also tend to smoke a lot of:

Blend 71: A classic medium blend, boasting the flavors of a medium-well done steak, this blend is the Uhle’s patriarch of English blends. A solid blend to sink your pipe into.Ingredients: Latakia, Perique, Turkish and Burley.

Bishop’s Move: Rich, smoky and meaty, Bishop’s Move offers a satisfying endeavor into traditional English blends. Ingredients: Virginia, Latakia, Perique, and Burley.

And for a light aromatic: Blend 255: Slow-burning, this lighter aromatic smokes earthy with a subtle hint of licorice.Ingredients: Cube-cut burley with Cavendish.“This blend was created in 1937.

Boulder":6oioqrc2 said:

I do wish the Smoke-shop / Tobacconist stores would came back to a mall near me,

This waiting on samples thru the mail is killing me. :cry:
I hear ya - The only B&M shop near me is a Tinder Box - which used to be in the local Mall and used to carry 10 times what they do now. The put wine in the store and everything else has gone downhill since.

I give my left - umm - arm to live near Uhle's for sure!

CarterHallJunkie":og0w0vxj said:
docwatson":og0w0vxj said:
Enjoy
Doc

Thanks Doc! Any other specific Uhle blends you would recommend?
Carter, from your screen name I can assume you love Burley, and my favorite from Uhle's is their blend 300. Fantastic stuff.
Do yourself a favor and get some sample blends, you won't go wrong with any of them. Good luck in your search.

docwatson

Just had some Uhle's 300 (thanks to brother Frost) and found it superb - can really taste the "graham cracker with honey" as Uhle's site describes it.

I'm beginning to really like Uhle's blends. A good variety to keep me interested.

Thanks for the tip!

Keep puffin'