Under the knife

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got home from surgery on my left knee, to repair a torn miniscus I experienced on the job some time ago. 

Out patient stuff. In and out of the clinic in 4 hours (more waiting than anything). Laproscopic surgery. 3 small incisions. Yes they put me out.

Just a bit sore now, but pretty much on par with what I've experiencing with the injury. And when the meds wear off it may increase. Whatever.

Got several scripts for Opiods, including Oxycodone. Don't plan on filling any of them. Don't want to take that no way no how. Crap like that largely has no effect whatsoever, binds me up, and I have enough issues with keeping regular as it is. 'nuff said. Ibuprofin for me.

I didn't want to post this previously, since there are several fine brothers here with serious issues far beyond my small complaint in comparison. Guess I just wanted to bring folks up to date, FWIW.

Cheers,

RR

I get your aversion to Oxi's. I will say this though, when I shattered my left heal on a bad landing on a jump, I was happy to have it, if, for nothing else, but to sleep through the night after the surgery. Even a McMinnenman's Terminator stout wouldn't cut it sometimes.......

just saying. If you are worried about binding up, have it with a light IPA or any Shandy. Balance will be achieved....

You might appreciate a decent cane to. I did. I can make you a gnarly one if you need it......

When I had my shoulder done I opted for the ice water pump instead of the meds for pain, worked like a dream. A shroud wraps around your shoulder (or knee) and a small ice chest with a water pump circulates chilled water through the shroud. Much better than percocet.

Brewdude":zg6cgspu said:
Just got home from surgery on my left knee, to repair a torn miniscus I experienced on the job some time ago. 

Out patient stuff. In and out of the clinic in 4 hours (more waiting than anything). Laproscopic surgery. 3 small incisions. Yes they put me out.

Just a bit sore now, but pretty much on par with what I've experiencing with the injury. And when the meds wear off it may increase. Whatever.

Got several scripts for Opiods, including Oxycodone. Don't plan on filling any of them. Don't want to take that no way no how. Crap like that largely has no effect whatsoever, binds me up, and I have enough issues with keeping regular as it is. 'nuff said. Ibuprofin for me.

I didn't want to post this previously, since there are several fine brothers here with serious issues far beyond my small complaint in comparison. Guess I just wanted to bring folks up to date, FWIW.

Cheers,

RR
Hey, good to hear your doing fine, knees aren't nothing to take lightly, without them you can't stand up.
I've had my problems with knee injuries but, never went for the knife because of the horror stories of them ending up worse. Of course that was back in the 70's and they've come a long way since then. Stay off them for awhile and rest my friend, you deserve it. Oh! And I'm the same way with most Opioids except Morphine. I remember taking 1000mg of Vicodin one night and it didn't do anything except keep me awake and bind me up. I'll never understand Doctor's giving ya crap when ya need better because there afraid of addiction but, it's okay to take Ibuprofen by the hand full (as I do) and blow your your liver out. :scratch:

Thanks for the posts.

I took a single Allevie (sp?) when I was in the recovery area and my head was a bit goofy. But made it plain I would not be taking any Opi's. Have a script for them and they are approved by L&I. Yet as I said, no way no how!

Not too much discomfort right now. Sore, yes. But nothing I can't handle.

Can't shower or get the site wet until Mon. So sponge baths until then. Had a very light meal, the first food in 24 hrs. But I'm not hungry otherwise. Sleeping tonight might be interesting, when the meds wear off.

I'll go back to work Mon, and will certainly be mindful of the recovery period so as not to complicate things.

I've been putting this off for over 6 months, so am looking forward to being back to normal.

Again, this is small potatoes compared to the other members here who have much more serious issues. I'll be OK. Pray for the other more deserving members.

Cheers,

RR

Rande, good to hear you've got it behind you. Hope you make a speedy recovery, and things get back to normal soon!

We are all deserving of prayers, for one reason or another. Plenty of good thoughts to go around!!

Sleep well, tomorrow is a new day!

Take care.....

Thinking of you old buddy.

Pain sucks.. Oxy is nothing to play with and is overprescribed. Truthfully I wish I'd never touched it.. Nasty stuff.

We can make medicines to make a pecker stick out, to regulate a heartbeat, to stop seizures, to control emotions, to basically do what was unimaginable a decade ago... But they can't invent a pain medicine that doesn't destroy the body it's supposed to help and that doesn't cause damn near instant dependence? I'm convinced it's a matter of profit and a locked in customer base myself but I digress.

puros_bran":idochp37 said:
Thinking of you old buddy.  

Pain sucks.. Oxy is nothing to play with and is overprescribed. Truthfully I wish I'd never touched it.. Nasty stuff.

We can make medicines to make a pecker stick out, to regulate a heartbeat, to stop seizures, to control emotions,   to basically do what was unimaginable a decade ago... But they can't invent a pain medicine that doesn't destroy the body it's supposed to help and that doesn't cause damn near instant dependence? I'm convinced it's a matter of profit and a locked in customer base myself but I digress.
I asked my neurologist why the pharmaceutical companies can't make pain meds that have no street value?

Her reply was "They are working on it."

I replied that it will cost them billions if they are ever successful.

Rande it is so good to read that for the most part this is all behind you and you did so well during the procedure. Hopefully with a little PT you'll soon be good as new. You've made a wise decision concerning Oxycodone. I've had to take very large dosages daily for more than 10 years and the side effects are horrible. Constipation is a big problem but the depression that it brings is the worst by far. I can be sitting in my chair at night watching TV with my wife and be feeling upbeat when all of a sudden it's like someone throws a switch and a dark cloud decends over me and I'm visited by the Dark Demon of Depression. It's a horrific feeling that can last anywhere from a few minutes or last days and even on occasion it will last for weeks. There's nothing you can do to avoid it. It's a very common side effect for those that take Oxy in large doses for an extended period of time. Pain that's going to disappear in a couple of months is not a reason to take the stuff. The sensation of sadness, hopelessness, and despair can be far worse than pain following surgery. Stay away from it at all cost if possible. However if you have severe, chronic, incurable pain then it can be a Godsend and I found the side effects something that has to be endured. I consider the fact that my body is dependent on it is the price I have to pay in order to have a life where I'm not screaming constanly.

Rest easy my friend and I wish you a speedy recovery. :)

AJ

Hey Rande old chum, I've just picked this one up.

Sorry to learn of your injury mate. Knees can be tricky things as they're more often than not weight bearing. Will you be getting some good physio done to aid recovery? In the meantime rest is v important in the early stages - is there really a need to get back to the brewery so soon?

Take care old chap. Suggest you lay off the early morning 10 mile runs for a while too ;)

D.

Sounds like no fun at all my friend, your woes are no less important than any one else's Rande, I will be keeping you in my prayers and I will hope you do not feel too much discomfort, all the best Buddy. :)

I hope you got a good night sleep and don't have to turn to the stronger pain meds. Best of luck with a speedy reover.

Here's toa quick recovery BD. I had ACL/meniscus surgery about 16 years ago and there was nothing fun about it. All the best.

Well heck Rande, it seems that if it's not bats and wasps it's something else. I've had similar surgeries twice and recovery while no picnic can be tolerated sans opioids, which is the way I did it. Nope don't care for drugs here either. I hope you have a rapid recovery my friend, best wishes and prayers from my end.

:cheers:

By way of a quick update, I've some soreness but not bad at all. Had a rough night sleeping though. I'll do some catch up today. Only taken a few Ibuprofen.

There's no PT involved. The Doc just said to take it easy and my knee would let me know when I'm overdoing it. 

Thanks for the offer of a cane Ozzy. I've got a few canes since I used to collect them years ago but don't expect to need one.

David, going back to work Mon is all the PT I'll need, but I'll be sure to go very easy and slow as well as delegate the heavy lifting.

Thanks again for all the kind words brothers.

Cheers,

RR

I shopped for a nice cane for awhile, collectors like you drive the price up too much! I've been wondering who I should be mad at and now I know. :cheers:

I settled on an aluminum one with a big thick foam handle.. It ain't pretty and I wouldn't want to do Cane-Fu (yes that's a thing) with it, but it gets the job done.

I think now is the time for a foot race, you game? Gimp vs Gimp.. Tin of baccy at stake.. Winner take all.. Lol.

Be well brother, find something to laugh at/about. It makes the hurt run in fear.