Update

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We're having Seattle weather here in Phoenix right now. Much rain, and temps in the low 70's. The remnant of Hurricane Rosa came up from over the Baja and dumped 2-3" this AM, causing flash flood warnings. Even had a few thunderstorms.

The rain created small rivers running down some local streets here. On some main roads (which are canted to the center) there is a 3' wide "trough" running down the center, and the rain had filled some of these up over 10' wide with about 4" water. Good thing my Ford Escape has high clearance.

I had no problems at my house but there is still much standing water on some street intersections. And the rivers on the streets have also shrunk, but earlier it was pretty impressive. The forecast is for more rain tonite but not as much as today, which may be a record. Temps are expected to rise into the 80's for the rest of the week, but it looks like the upper 90's/100+ temps are gone for the foreseeable future.

Last night I had a terrible experience. I was watching a DVD in the living room and went out into the kitchen to get some yogurt from the fridge. I had the kitchen lights off so turned them on, and what do I see right in the middle of the floor - A F**KING SCORPION!!!!

The hair stood up on the back of my neck, and I rushed to get one of my slippers from the Arizona room. It was still there as it hadn't moved and I clobbered it good. It twitched a little and I slammed it again to make sure it was dead. Got a bunch of paper towels and wrapped it up, being careful of the stinger.

So by now, my heart is pounding. If I hadn't looked down when I turned the lights on I would have stepped right about where it was and I was barefoot at the time.

The scorpion was about 4" long and brown, and it blended in with my laminate kitchen flooring. So one would have to be careful to notice something like that. So ya, that shook me up and now I'm being double careful when I go into the kitchen and Arizona room, as that has quarry tile.

I had asked my real estate agent to see if the seller had any experiences with scorpions in the house, and he reported that he had killed 2 of them in the 2 years he owned the property. So I was aware that they are not uncommon here. But having now experienced one is a whole different thing.

I've done a little research on scorpions, and this particular species will produce a painful sting but is not considered life threatening. There is one species that's the smallest called the bark scorpion, and they are only a couple inches long at most and translucent in color. Those can be fatal in some cases. So how did this get in my house?

Scorpions are able to squeeze through an opening as thin as a credit card, according to what I've read. Having a door sweep that's not tight can be one point of entry, but there are many other possibilities. At this point I'm not planning on calling in a pest service, and there are plenty of those here as termites, ants, etc are prevalent.

At the same time I'm going to be doubly sure of entering the kitchen or the Arizona room. I've also had 3 or 4 experiences of a rather large and ugly cockroach which is fast and defies my efforts to squash it. Such are the realities of living in this area! And it's not like I was unaware of this before settling in this area! So now I'm shaking out my shoes before I put them on.

:shock:

Beyond that I'm moving forward with the new surf project and will have at least 10 of the 15 tunes I composed ready to go for my first session at the local studio later this month.

Cheers?

RR

Freaky.

Perhaps carry a UV flashlight with you for quick scans. Scorpions are bioluminescent and glow under ultraviolet light.

I camp in an area where we need to scan for them at night. Usually they are pretty much non aggressive and you would have to step on them to get stung. It’s always good to check the tent and sleeping bag before bedding down. Hahaha.

Now THERE’S some excitement for ya. Like when I was in Vietnam and out in the shower area, rinsing down. A 3” long cockroach flies in and lands right on my naked back! Wings clacking. Scritchy little legs clambering for a purchase. My shrieks were likely heard way back stateside. Wowzers.

Battle plan for you? Always wear knee high dessert boots in the house. Especially when in the kitchen or shower. Maybe even to bed. You know when you’re asleep those little bastiges could be crawling ALL over the place!

Re the roaches? You’ll never run ‘em down with a rolled up newspaper. I’m thinkin’ a .45...maybe a high capacity 9mm. Pepper the little jerks good.

And if you think the scorpions cruise around the joint at night? The roaches are likely doing close order drill to Stevie Wonder songs. “My Cherie Amour”. La la laaa laaa la la...(etc.).

Well, at least you're far, far away from giant banana and leopard slugs! :D

We have small ones here in Missouri.  Yes, I've killed several over the years, but this summer I got bummed out when I found one in my bed between the sheets! I called the exterminator the next day and scheduled a complete spray job inside and out!

BD, Had Scorpions in a house in Lakeworth (just outside Fort worth) and at night the neighbors could see me throwing my boot around the house trying to kill'em. Was entirely my fault they were in there because when I set the tube I forgot to put a piece of sheet metal over the hole where the waste came up. But, it entertain the neighbors for some time. They were the larger of the species so they wheren't much a threat, just didn't want them to crawl into bed with me.
Glad your stay'en dry and haven't washed away, that Arizona needs all the rain it can get if ya ask me but, I reckon there's a limit to everything. Happy to hear your doing well and enjoying your new home sir, just wish you'd picked Texas instead.;)

Wowzers! How nasty are those if they sting you out there? Only scorpion I ever found was in the wood pile in Tennessee. He was a little guy and didn't mess with him. That is something I wouldn't have thought about if I relocated there . . .

Blackhorse":xhjrqgz8 said:
Now THERE’S some excitement for ya.  Like when I was in Vietnam and out in the shower area, rinsing down.  A 3” long cockroach flies in and lands right on my naked back!  Wings clacking. Scritchy little legs clambering for a purchase.  My shrieks were likely heard way back stateside. Wowzers.

Battle plan for you?  Always wear knee high dessert boots in the house. Especially when in the kitchen or shower.  Maybe even to bed.  You know when you’re asleep those little bastiges could be crawling ALL over the place!

Re the roaches? You’ll never run ‘em down with a rolled up newspaper.  I’m thinkin’ a .45...maybe a high capacity 9mm. Pepper the little jerks good.  

And if you think the scorpions cruise around the joint at night?  The roaches are likely doing close order drill to Stevie Wonder songs. “My Cherie Amour”.  La la laaa laaa la la...(etc.).
Sage like advice there BH :lol!:

On a serious note, Rande, might be worth keeping some footwear on until you've got the lay of the land.

Stick":hw22ah6x said:
On a serious note, Rande, might be worth keeping some footwear on until you've got the lay of the land.
Right you are Guv'nor. I've taken to wearing clogs in the evening when the lights in the house are not always on. And, whenever I enter the kitchen or Arizona room I pause and have a bloody good look before entering.

And after reading Con's post, I pat down the bed prior to retiring for the night.

;)

Cheers,

RR

Use to find lil scorpions in my tent as a youth fairly frequently, just tossed them outside with a sock usually.

I wouldn’t be too worried as they aren’t looking for a fight but would make it a habit of checking your shoes before putting them on.

Yep, I do not regret leaving Arizona. Was there for two years and that was enough for me. tarantulas run around out there as well, and rattlers. H lad to be back up north where venous creatures are few and far between.

SourMilk":8h5ywjbh said:
Use to find lil scorpions in my tent as a youth fairly frequently, just tossed them outside with a sock usually.

I wouldn’t be too worried as they aren’t looking for a fight but would make it a habit of checking your shoes before putting them on.
Aye, I've now been doing this regularly. Forewarned is forearmed they say!

Yes, living here in the desert SW has its own issues. And scorpions are one of them. I knew that going in and won't let it damper my enthusiasm for this area, which I can truly say I have embraced without regret.

:heart:

Cheers,

RR

Orkin visits our southern AZ house (and in WI) inside and out every month. I like our guy and I can recommend the company. :shock:

D.L.Ruth":tmo3nb84 said:
Yep, I do not regret leaving Arizona. Was there for two years and that was enough for me. tarantulas run around out there as well, and rattlers. H lad to be back up north where venous creatures are few and far between.
Rattlers don't seem to be prevalent in my area. However, if I do some hiking in the outlying hills (which I will eventually do) I'll take all necessary precautions.

daveinlax":tmo3nb84 said:
Orkin visits our southern AZ house (and in WI) inside and out every month. I like our guy and I can recommend the company.
Orkin has a good rep. I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers,

RR

Rande, please keep in mind that the liitle buggers can climb like nobodies business. I have had a number of incidents where they crawled out of light fixtures and fell on me or into my glass. My brother had one fall into his glass and didn't notice.....little bugger repeatedly stung the ice cubes injecting copious amounts of poison into his tea. He took a drink of it and was in bad shape for a couple of days. His lips swelled up and turned black and he was a frequent flyer of the porcelain thrown. Another bug to watch out for is a jolly big centapead. Black with a red head and yellow legs 6 to 8 inches long and fatter than your thumb. Don't know if that one is native to the area or if he hitched a ride with some of the boxes but they are not fun.

Jim